- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Pain medicine
Dr Mulla is a Consultant and Clinical Lead in Integrated Pain Services at the Luton and Dunstable University Hospital and Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He underwent training in world-renowned centres of excellence including the highly prestigious advanced pain fellowship from the Guy’s and St. Thomas’ University Hospital affiliated to King’s College London School of Medicine. He worked as a Consultant in Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine in Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge and St. George’s University Hospital, London and achieved clinical externships in hospitals across New York and Pennsylvania, USA. He achieved fellowships in Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine at the Royal College of Anaesthetists and has also undergone training in General Medicine prior to his training in Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine. Dr Mulla has been working as a physician for the past 25 years.
He has extensive experience in the multidisciplinary management of pain conditions and is highly qualified in the modern and advanced techniques of pain management. He consults more than 1000 patients every year and has special expertise in management of complex pain conditions.
His clinical approach is collaborative and holistic, based upon a bio-psycho-social model that facilitates functional independence and emotional well-being that he offers in a compassionate environment to empower chronic pain sufferers.
He has special expertise in treating common conditions including but not limited to degenerative and arthritic conditions, neck and low back pain, joint pain, sciatica/lumbago, slipped spinal discs, whiplash and sports injuries. His other areas of expertise include cancer pain, headaches and facial pain, migraine, persistent post-surgical pain, fibromyalgia, neuropathic pain and pelvic pain among others.
He offers treatments in form of medication management and a wide range of interventional techniques (injection therapy) such as lumbar and cervical epidural injections, facet joint injections, medial branch blocks, sacro-iliac joint injections, hip, knee/other joint injections, nerve root blocks, trigger point injections, botox injections, occipital nerve blocks and other injection therapies. He has special expertise in ultrasound guided pain procedures, peripheral nerve stimulation and radiofrequency denervation/ablation.
Dr Mulla regularly presents scientific papers and speaks nationally and internationally apart from organising symposia and workshops and contributes to journals and medical textbooks on a regular basis. He is an expert speaker at the local clinical commissioning groups. He is a member of the training and assessments board and is the examinations tutorials advisor for the Pain Faculty at The Royal College of Anaesthetists. He is the royal college tutor for pain education supervision and educational supervisor for anaesthesia trainees and a medical appraiser for consultants and non-consultant doctors.
As the Clinical Lead for the Integrated Pain Service, Dr Mulla is in charge of supervising the overall functioning and conducting clinical audit and research along with quality assurance and service development.
Areas of interest
• Spinal pain (neck pain, back pain, sciatica, lumbago), slipped discs, nerve root leg and arm pain
• Headache, migraines and facial pain
• Sports injuries related pain, whiplash injury pain, post traumatic pain
• Post-surgical pain, neuropathic pain
• Complex regional pain syndrome, neuropathic pain
• Cancer pain, pelvic pain
• Spinal injections
• Facet injections and medial branch blocks (cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine)
• Sacro-iliac joint injections + denervation (Simplicity III)
• Nerve root blocks
• Epidural and caudal steroid injections
• Peripheral nerve blocks
• Joint injections (shoulder, wrist, hip, knee and ankle)
• Trigger point injections
• Ultrasound guided muscle, joint and nerve injections
• Radiofrequency denervation/ablation/lesioning
• Botox injections
Current NHS consultant posts held
Luton and Dunstable University Hospital
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Chronic post-surgical pain
Fellowship of the faculty of pain medicine of the royal college of anaesthetists, UK
Fellowship of the royal college of anaesthetists, UK
Membership of the national board of medical examinations, USA
Healthcanal published an article titled 'Patient recovers from years of pain following Vitamin D therapy' recognising the research done by Dr Nofil Mulla and colleagues
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Gujarati - Fluent
- Hindi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
• Chronic Pain clinic conversion rates: Mulla N, Fai, K, Griffiths R, Norman J. British Pain Society abstract book. Glasgow, UK.
• Prevalence of Hypovitaminosis D in patients attending outpatient pain clinics at a UK University Hospital: Mulla N, Correa R, Balasubramanian S. 15th World Congress on Pain: IASP, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
• Spinal cord stimulation in a rare case of intercostal neuralgia: Mulla N, Balasubramanian S. 3rd World Institute of Pain Conference, Kolkata, India.
• Chronic post-surgical pain: an informed consent issue: Mulla N, Balasubramanian S. 3rd World Institute of Pain Conference, Kolkata, India.
• Use of epidural analgesia to facilitate high cervical cordotomy: Mulla N, Antrobus JHL. 15th World Congress of pain Clinicians. Granada, Spain.
Courses offered to GPs
• Pain measurement: Webinar, Royal College of Anaesthetists, Aug 2020
• Pain assessment tools: Webinar, East of England deanery, May 2020
• Cancer pain and interventions: Webinar, London deanery, May 2020
• Expert speaker, Luton CCG: Complex pain in secondary care, Jan 2020
• Expert speaker, Bedford CCG: Opioid de-prescribing, Nov 2019
• Chronic pelvic pain, Joint OBGY meeting, Luton, Nov 2019
• Persistent postoperative pain: Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, Feb 2018
- NBME National board of examiners, USA 2007
- FFPMRCA Pain faculty royal college of anaesthetists 2015
- MD University of Mumbai 2002
- FRCA Royal College of Anaesthetists 2011
- MBBS University of Mumbai 1996
Reference number 6073704
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- European society of regional anaesthesia ESRA 2018
- World Institute of Pain International association for study of pain 2015
- British Pain Society British Pain Society 2015
- MDDUS Medical and dental union of Scotland 2018
- Royal College of Anaesthetists Royal College of Anaesthetists 2011
- General Medical Council GMC 2003
Affiliations / memberships
Dr N Mulla (07525425468)
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: drnofil