- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Lower GI surgery
After qualifying from The University of Birmingham, I carried out my training in the West Midlands and the South West, before completing my higher surgical training back in the North East of England. Alongside fellowship examinations (Royal College of Surgeons of England), I completed a Master of Surgery degree which I was awarded with merit. I was awarded an ACPGBI (Association of Coloproctologists of Great Britain and Ireland) fellowship, gaining a unique experience in the world's largest Intestinal Failure unit (Nebraska, USA), treating the most complex of bowel conditions.
Following completion of my training, I undertook a year’s fellowship in Auckland, New Zealand, where I focused on advanced laparoscopic (keyhole), minimally invasive surgical techniques, and complex colorectal cancer surgery. I then took up my current post as Consultant Colorectal and General Surgeon at University Hospital of North Durham.
My practice encompasses the full remit of general surgery and colorectal surgery. This includes hernia and gallbladder surgery, the investigation and treatment of colorectal and anorectal disorders, surgery for colorectal cancer, and both upper GI (OGD) and lower GI (colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy) endoscopic procedures.
Areas of interest
Colonoscopy; Gastroscopy (OGD); Rectal bleeding; Haemorrhoids; Colon Cancer; Rectal cancer; Gastro-Intestinal Tract Disease (surgery); Colorectal Disease; Colitis; Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD); Crohns Disease; Ulcerative Colitis; Minimal invasive surgery; Laparoscopic (Keyhole) surgery; Trans-anal surgery; Colon polyps; Rectal polyps; Coloproctology; Pilonidal sinus; Anal fistula; Anal fissure; Laparoscopic cholecystectomy; Gallbladder; Gallstones; Anal sepsis; Hernias; Inguinal hernia; Abdominal wall hernia; Incisional hernia; Umbilical/para-umbilical hernia; Recurrent hernias; Abdominal wall reconstruction; Perianal surgery; Abdominal pain; Colorectal surgery (lower GI);
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Colorectal and General Surgeon, University Hospital North Durham (Durham, UK)
Minimally invasive surgery,
Trans-anal surgery including TAMIS and TATME
Spending time with family, enjoying the outdoors, running, skiing
1) ACPGBI (Association of Coloproctologists of Great Britain and Ireland) Travelling Fellowship 2016;
2) ASGBI (Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland) award for ChM (Master of Surgery) highest performer University of Edinburgh 2015;
3) ESGE (European Society of GI Endoscopy) Top Abstract prize 2015
- MBChB University of Birmingham 2007
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 2010
- ChM The University of Edinburgh 2016
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 2016
- Travelling Fellowship - Intestinal Failure University of Nebraska Medical Centre (UNMC), Omaha, USA 2016
- Advanced Minimally Invasive (Laparoscopic + Trans-anal) Colorectal Surgical Fellowship Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand 2017
Reference number 6155587
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Spire Washington Hospital, NE38 9JZ
- 17:30 - 19:30
- 0191 448 7388
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.