- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Surgical lacrimal
Dr John Bladen is a highly specialised Consultant Ophthalmologist and Oculoplastic Surgeon working at King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust looking after adults and children. He has world class expertise in cancers of the eyelid and orbit. He completed his ophthalmology training at the world-renowned Moorfields Eye Hospital including in a fellowship in Oculoplastic Surgery, followed by a second fellowship at Queen Victoria Hospital, a specialist tertiary centre focused on transformative reconstructive surgery and burns care.
Areas of interest
Adult and paediatric general ophthalmology (eyelid lumps, red eye, dry eye, blepharitis, floaters); Cataract Surgery;
Eye and facial wrinkles and lines including botulinum A toxin;
Cosmetic and reconstructive eyelid surgery including eyelid lifts (blepharoplasty);
Droopy eyelids (ptosis surgery);
Watering eye and the management of lacrimal disease including endonasal surgery;
Eyelid cancer including frozen margin controlled excision;
Thyroid eye disease;
Bells palsy (facial nerve) ocular rehabilitation
- Jackie Walker
- Kings College Hospital Denmark Hill London SE5 9RS
- 07541 755773
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Ghalib A Mukadam Fee Assured
- Dr Navjot Panesar Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist and Oculoplastic Surgeon at King’s College Hospital London
PhD investigating the molecular basis of eyelid cancer. He was awarded his PhD in Cancer Genomics in early 2017 and won 9 prizes for his outstanding international research including the prestigious Moorfields Research Medal in 2017 and twice winner of the British Oculoplastic Surgical Society Best Scientific Paper Prize.
Development of in-vitro 3D organotypics of infiltrative basal cell carcinoma (in the dish model of eyelid cancer) to investigate different treatment modalities and personalise treatment
National study on the incidence and treatment of eyelid melanoma
Lead for research South Sites across all medical specialties
Healthcare provision in countries outside the UK
2018 Best Scientific Paper Prize, British Oculoplastic Surgery Society, Dublin;
2018 The Collin Scholarship Prize, British Oculoplastic Surgery Society, Dublin;
2017 Moorfields Research Medal, 37th Moorfields Alumni Annual Meeting;
2016 Annual Best Free Paper Presentation Prize,British Oculoplastic Surgery Society, Glasgow;
2015 Jean Campbell Cup Pathology Prize, British Association for Ophthalmic Pathology;
1. Bladen JC, Cascone N, Pearson AR, Litwin A, Malhotra R. Dry eye after Lester Jones tube insertion for epiphora. Orbit 2018
2. Bladen JC, Feldman I, Favor M, Dizon M, Litwin A, Malhotra R. Long term outcome of flexible onabotulinum toxin A treatment in facial dystonia. Eye (Lond) 2018
3. Bladen JC, Wang J, Sangaralingam A, Moosajee M, Fitchett C, Chelala C, Beaconsfield M, O'Toole EA, Philpott MP, Ezra DG. MicroRNA and transcriptome analysis in periocular Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma. Sci Rep. 2018 May 14;8(1):7531. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-25900-z.
4. Bladen JC, Gill J, Miszkiel K, Ezra DG. Stroke-induced resolution of primary blepharospasm: Evidence for the lenticular nucleus as a control candidate. Accepted BMJ Cases 2018 Jul 25
5. Bladen JC, Moosajee M, Tracey-White D, Beaconsfield M, O'Toole EA, Philpott MP. Analysis of hedgehog signaling in periocular sebaceous carcinoma. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2018 Feb 8. doi: 10.1007/s00417-018-3900-5.
6. Minakaran N, Soorma T, Bladen JC, Moosajee M. Investigating the positive impact of the visual arts on patients with ophthalmic conditions. Eye (Lond). 2016 Dec;30(12):1648. doi: 10.1038/eye.2016.175.
7. Bowes O, Ophthalmic Trainees' Group. The fate of ophthalmology trainees in the UK-CCT holders 2007 to 2010. Eye (Lond). 2015 Mar;29(3):445-6.
8. Rodrigues IA, Bladen JC. Clinical Management: Are Times About to Change? Br J Healthcare Management 2013 Mar;19(3):133–135.
9. Bladen JC, Moosajee M, Tulumri K, Olver JM. The use of a pleated autogenous temporalis fascia graft for frontalis suspension in recurrent, poor levator function ptosis. Orbit 2012 Apr;31(2):114-8
10. Bladen JC, Norris JH, Malhotra R. Cosmetic comparison of gold weight and platinum chain insertion in primary upper eyelid loading for lagophthalmos. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 May-Jun;28(3):171-5.
11. Bladen JC, Norris JH, Malhotra R. Indications and outcomes for revision of gold weight implants in upper eyelid loading. Br J Ophthalmol. 2012 Apr;96(4):485-9.
12. Bladen JC, Moosajee M, Renowden S, Carter M, Sainsbury C, Jardine P. Spontaneous intracranial hypotension in adolescence BMJ Cases. 2009 Feb 18; doi: 10.1136/bcr.2006.096644
13. Bladen JC, Moosajee M, Angunawela R, Roberts C. Transient internal ophthalmoplegia after inferior oblique myectomy. J AAPOS. 2009 Dec;13(6):596-7
14. Bladen JC, Moosajee M, Bassett JD. A Tense Case- Carney’s Triad. J R Soc Med. November 2004; 97(11): 540-541
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.kingsprivate.com/consultants/ophthalmology/dr-john-bladen/
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Cancer Genomics Queen Mary University of London 2017
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth) Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2014
- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Leadership Open University Business School 2011
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) Royal College of Surgeons England 2006
- MBBS - Honours in Surgery Imperial College London, University of London 2003
- BSc in Pharmacology - Upper Second Class Honours Imperial College London, University of London 2000
Reference number 6077484
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Training in Ophthalmology, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the British Oculoplastic Surgery Society (BOPSS);
Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth);
Member of the General Medical Council (GMC);
Member of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (AVRO);
Member of the Medical Protection Society
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.