- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 7 Sep 2020
I’m a substantive Consultant Psychiatrist in the NHS, and a Honorary Clinical Research Fellow at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College of London.
I do my private practice at the Sloane Court Clinic and at Crossroads Psychology clinic in London.
I offer consultations in English and in Italian.
I have deep respect and genuine interest in people’s unique personal story and suffering from their own point of view. I treat my patients’ privacy and confidentiality very seriously. I offer a non judgemental approach, empathic understanding and a professional yet warm support.
I strive to identify and strengthen personal resilience and I deeply believe that when suffering is not denied, but faced with the right support, it can even become an enriching human experience.
I have a holistic understanding of mind and body and aim to support the person as a whole.
I always involve my patients in decisions regarding their treatment and discuss with them pros and cons of possible management strategies, including medications, which I only offer when clinically indicated, after careful assessments of potential risks and benefits.
Areas of interest
In addition to my availability to assess and manage common problems such as stress, anxiety and depression, I have a special interest in psychosis, ranging from early prodromal state, to treatment resistant illness. I have particular experience in the assessment, early detection and management of a variety of emerging psychiatric disorders in young adults.
- Christine Brewis
- Sloane Court Clinic 11 Sloane Court West London SW3 4TD
- 020 7730 5945
Current NHS consultant posts held
Substantive Consultant Psychiatrist, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
Psychosis, prodromal psychosis, treatment resistant psychosis, neuroimaging, phenomenology
Phenomenology, yoga, trekking, classical music, philosophy
Highly Cited Researcher 2019: annual list identifying scientists and social scientists who produced multiple papers ranking in the top 1% by citations for their field
2014 Selected for the ECNP Workshop on 2015 Neuropsychopharmacology for Junior Scientists in Europe
2015 European Psychiatry Association travel Grant
Guarantors of Brain travel Grant
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Italian - Native or bilingual
- French - Conversational
. (a selection of the most recent: full list on PubMed)
The Oxford Handbook of Phenomenological Psychopathology, 4th July 2019.
• Neural Circuitry of Novelty Salience Processing in Psychosis Risk: Association With Clinical Outcome. P.Schizophr Bull. 2020 Apr 10;46(3):670-679.
• The relationship between grey matter volume and striatal dopamine function in psychosis: a multimodal 18F-DOPA PET and voxel-based morphometry study. Mol Psychiatry. 2019 Nov 5.
• Clinical-learning versus machine-learning for transdiagnostic prediction of psychosis onset in individuals at-risk. Transl Psychiatry. 2019 Oct 17;9(1):259.
• Glutamatergic and dopaminergic function and the relationship to outcome in people at clinical high risk of psychosis: a multi-modal PET-magnetic resonance brain imaging study.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2019 Oct 16.
• Transdiagnostic Individualized Clinically Based Risk Calculator for the Detection of Individuals at Risk and the Prediction of Psychosis: Model Refinement Including Nonlinear Effects of Age. .Front Psychiatry. 2019 May 9;10:313.
• Basic Self-Disturbances Related to Reduced Anterior Cingulate Volume in Subjects at Ultra-High Risk for Psychosis. P.Front Psychiatry. 2019 May 10;10:254.
• Association of Hippocampal Glutamate Levels With Adverse Outcomes in Individuals at Clinical High Risk for Psychosis. JAMA Psychiatry. 2018 Nov 14
• Semistructured Interview for Bipolar At Risk States (SIBARS).Psychiatry Res. 2018 Jun;264:302-309.
• Increased Resting Hippocampal and Basal Ganglia Perfusion in People at Ultra High Risk for Psychosis: Replication in a Second Cohort. Schizophr Bull. 2017 Dec 27.
• A Test of the Transdiagnostic Dopamine Hypothesis of Psychosis Using Positron Emission Tomographic Imaging in Bipolar Affective Disorder and Schizophrenia.JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Dec 1;74(12):1206-1213.
• Diagnostic and Prognostic Significance of DSM-5 Attenuated Psychosis Syndrome in Services for Individuals at Ultra High Risk for Psychosis.Schizophr Bull. 2017 May 17.
• Development and Validation of a Clinically.
Based Risk Calculator for the Transdiagnostic Prediction of Psychosis. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Mar 29.
• Prevalence and implications of Truman symptoms in subjects at ultra high risk for psychosis. Psychiatry Res. 2016 Apr 30;238:270-6. *Joint first authors
- Dector in Medicine and Surgery University of Pavia, Italy 2007
- Specialist in General Adult Psychiatry University of Pavia, Italy 2012
- PhD in psychology, health and statistical sciences University of Pavia 2016
Reference number 7077372
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member Royal College of Psychiatry 2015
- Full Registration with licence to practice number 7077372 GMC 2010
- Member (italian equivalent to the GMC) "Ordine dei medici chirurghi e degli odontoiatri" 2008
- State Examination for the Licence to Practice as Medical Doctor in Italy University of Pavia 2008
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC specialist in General Adult Psychiatry, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the Italian Medical Society of Great Britain
Member of the Indipendent Doctor Federation
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.