- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Upper GI surgery
Mr Almond is a specialist in General Surgery (including hernias and gallbladder surgery) Abdominal Cancer Surgery, Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery (including anti-reflux surgery) and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. He is highly skilled at open, laparoscopic (keyhole) and endoscopic procedures. He undertakes private practice at West Midlands Hospital in Birmingham and also works as an NHS Consultant Surgeon at University Hospital Birmingham. Patients with complex abdominal tumours are referred to him from across England and Wales.
Mr Almond trained as a General Surgeon and then completed subspecialty training in upper gastrointestinal and pancreaticobiliary surgery before gaining further specialist experience in abdominal and retroperitoneal sarcoma surgery through Fellowships to the Istitutio Dei Tumori, Milan and the Royal Marsden Hospital, London. In addition, he developed highly advanced skills in therapeutic endoscopy through Fellowships to Harvard University, Boston; the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston; and the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, US.
In 2010 Mr Almond was granted a prestigious Royal College of Surgeons Research Fellowship. He was subsequently awarded a Doctorate of Medicine following his research into early detection and treatment of oesophageal cancer. He has published more than 70 research articles and book chapters and has published in the British Journal of Surgery and the journal Nature. Mr Almond is an Honorary Clinical Lecturer at the University of Birmingham. He is also a member of the British Sarcoma Group, the Transatlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group and the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons through which he has contributed to international guidelines.
As well as performing surgery, Mr Almond specialises in the assessment of abdominal pain, rectal bleeding and acid reflux. He performs specialist open and laparoscopic (keyhole) treatment of soft tissue sarcomas, neuroendocrine tumours, adrenal tumours, gastrointestinal stromal tumours, gallstones, hiatal hernias, acid reflux, abdominal wall hernias and lipomas. He also performs upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy and ERCP (endoscopic removal of gallstones).
Areas of interest
Abdominal wall and groin hernias (open and keyhole repairs); gallstones (cholecystectomy); obstructive jaundice; hiatus hernias; acid reflux; lipomas; pilonidal sinus; "lumps and bumps"; abdominal sarcomas; neuroendocrine tumours; gastrointestinal stromal tumours; adrenal tumours; multivisceral resection, major venous reconstruction.
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Hari Krovvidi Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Surgeon (Surgical Oncology, Upper GI and General Surgery)
Mr Almond’s main research interests are in the fields of retroperitoneal sarcoma and gastro-oesophageal reflux including Barrett’s oesophagus. He currently holds a prestigious Royal College of Surgeons of England grant to support his research aiming to define the biochemical profile of liposarcoma and leiomyosarcoma using Raman spectroscopy. He is an Honorary Clinical Lecturer at the University of Birmingham and currently supervises a fulltime doctoral student. Mr Almond has published more than 70 research articles and book chapters including several recent publications in the British Journal of Surgery. He is also a member of the Transatlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group through which he has contributed to international consensus statements and published papers on the management of sarcoma and gastrointestinal stromal tumours.
Examples of Recent Awards and Prizes:
1. Royal College of Surgeons Grant to fully fund a novel research study aiming to define the biochemical profile of liposarcoma using Raman Spectroscopy. Awarded January 2019.
2. Winner of best oral research presentation at the British Sarcoma Group Conference 2018.
BASO Travelling Fellowship award. 2017
3. Finalist at the BMJ Awards for the National Cancer Care Team of the Year 2014.
Selected Recent Publications:
1. Almond LM, Ford S et. al. Myeloid Sarcoma: Presentation, Diagnosis and Treatment. Accepted for publication February 2017 in Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma and Leukaemia. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2017 May;17(5):263-267.
2. Ford SJ, Almond LM, Gronchi A. An update on non-extremity soft tissue sarcoma. Clinical Oncology. 2017, 29(8): 516-527.
3. Almond LM, Patel K, Keast L, Hodson J, Nijjar R, Wilson PG, Richardson M, Singhal R. A decade of day-case endoscopically guided stent placement in malignant oesophagogastric strictures. Surg Endosc. 2017 May;31(5):2280-2286.
4. Gaunt A, Patel A, Royal J, Fallis S, Almond LM et. al. Trainee feedback-seeking behaviour in the context of Workplace Based Assessment (WBA). Acad Med. 2017 Jun;92(6):827-834.
5. Almond LM, Charalampakis M, Ford SJ, Gourevitch D, Desai A. Myeloid Sarcoma: Presentation, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2017 May;17(5):263-267.
6. Almond LM, Warfield AT, Desai A, Gourevitch D, Ford SJ. Biphasic malignant tumours of the abdominal cavity. Int J Clin Oncol. 2017 Aug;22(4):635-640.
7. Almond LM, Hodson J, Ford SJ, Gourevitch D, Roberts KJ, Shah T, Isaac J, Desai A. Role of palliative resection of the primary tumour in advanced pancreatic and small intestinal neuroendocrine tumours: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017 Oct;43(10):1808-1815.
8. Trans-Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG). Management of metastatic retroperitoneal sarcoma: a consensus approach from the Trans-Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG). Ann Oncol. 2018 Apr 1;29(4):857-871.
9. Glasbey JC, Arshad F, Almond LM, Vydianath B, Desai A, Gourevitch D, Ford SJ. Gastrointestinal manifestations of extramedullary plasmacytoma: a narrative review and illustrative case reports. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2018 May;100(5):371-376.
10. Almond LM, Gronchi A, Strauss D, Jafri M, Ford S, Desai A. Neoadjuvant and adjuvant strategies in retroperitoneal sarcoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018 May;44(5):571-579.
11. Almond LM, Tirotta F, Tattersall H, Hodson J, Cascella T, Barisella M, Marchianò A, Greco G, Desai A, Ford SJ, Gronchi A, Fiore M, Morosi C. Diagnostic accuracy of percutaneous biopsy in retroperitoneal sarcoma. Br J Surg. 2019 Mar;106(4):395-403.
12. Trans-Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG). Management of Pelvic Schwannoma. Accepted for publication in BJS. July 2019.
All elective private and NHS practice including surgery and endoscopy: 0% mortality.
Reference number 6104816
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the Trans-Atlantic Working Group on Retroperitoneal Sarcoma