- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 28 Apr 2020
- Upper GI surgery
I have been a Substantive Consultant Upper GI Surgeon at the Sandwell Hospital, West Birmingham NHS Trust. I specialize in Laparoscopic General and Upper GI surgery with specific area of interest in Gallstone disease, Abdominal wall and groin hernia, Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and Hiatus hernia. I also remove lumps and bumps in the body. I also carry out key surgery for Acute Appendicitis and ruptured stomach or duodenal ulcers. I am an accredited Upper GI Endoscopist.
My basic medical qualification and surgical training was in India with further advanced surgical training in various hospitals in Yorkshire where I developed interest and expertise in keyhole operations for gallstone problems, abdominal wall and groin hernias. I consolidated this experience with an year of Fellowship in an established UGI cancer and Bariatric unit at Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, Hull before getting my specialist GMC registration.
I dedicated 2 years of my professional career in Surgical research in the field of Pancreatic cancer and obtained higher MD research degree from UCL, London in 2009. I have around 15 publications in the peer reviewed journals with various presentations related to my research and clinical practice at national and international level. For further information please visit: www.gallstones-herniasurgeon.com
Areas of interest
Gall stone disease; Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy with or without Cholangiogram; Gall stone surgery; Gallstones; lumps and bumps; Laparoscopic Bile duct exploration; Inguinal hernia repair (Laparoscopic Trans-abdominal Pre-peritoneal approach TAPP); Epigastric hernia; Umbilical or Para-umbilical hernia; Incisional hernia; abdominal wall hernia; (Laparoscopic and open mesh repair using Rives-Stoppa with or without Transversus Abdominis Release (TAR)); Acid reflux disease; Heartburn; (Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication); Laparoscopic Hiatus hernia repair; Achalasia (Laparoscopic Heller's Cardiomyotomy); Acute Appendicitis (Laparoscopic Appendicectomy).
- Alison Hitchen
- Spire Little Aston Hospital Little Aston Hall Drive Little Aston Sutton Coldfield B74 3UP
- 0121 580 7216
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Krishna Balachandar Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant General and Upper GI Surgeon
Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust
Abdominal wall hernia
Non surgical management of Gall stones
I love to enjoy my spare time with my family and friends. I love nature walks, cricket, reading and watching science fiction and spy thrillers. I practice meditation to keep inner peace and balance.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Conversational
- Urdu - Conversational
- Tamil - Basic
- Russian - Basic
- Meta-analysis of laparoscopic groin hernia
repair with or without mesh fixation.
International Journal of Surgery 71 (2019)
- Laparoscopic Transcystic Versus Transductal
Common Bile Duct Exploration: A Systematic
Review and Meta-analysis. World J Surg.
2019 Aug;43(8):1935-1948. Review.
1) In vivo factors influencing tumour M2- pyruvate kinase level in human pancreatic cancer cell lines. Tumour Biol. 2010
- A comparison of tumour M2-PK with carcinoembryonic antigen and CA19-9 in patients undergoing liver resection for
colorectal metastases. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Oct;20(10):1006-1011.
- Tumour M2-Puruvate Kinase: A marker of exocrine pancreatic cancer-A meta-analysis. Pancreas 2007 Aug; 35 (2): 114-9.
- Tumour M2-pyruvate kinase- A GI cancer marker. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007 Mar; 19(3):265-76.
- Free radicals and antioxidants level in secondary peritonitis and their prognostic significance. Dig Surg 2007;24(5): 331
- Remote ischemic preconditioning: a novel protective method from ischemia reperfusion injury--a review. J Surg Res. 2008
Dec;150(2):304-30. Epub 2008 Jan 22.
- Ischaemic pre-conditioning for elective liver resections performed under vascular occlusion. Cochrane Database Syst Rev.
2009 Jan 21;(1):CD007629. Review.
- Vascular occlusion for elective liver resections. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009 Jan 21;(1):CD007530. Review
- Ischaemic preconditioning versus no ischaemic preconditioning for liver transplantation. Cochrane Database of Systematic
Reviews 2008, Issue 1.
- Methods of preventing bacterial sepsis and wound complications for liver transplantation. Cochrane Database of
Systematic Reviews 2008, Oct (8); (4): CD006660.
- Ischaemic preconditioning for liver transplantation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Jan 23;(1):CD006315. Review.
- Methods of vascular occlusion for elective liver resections. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Oct 17;(4):CD006409.
- Can surgical registrars identify an acutely inflamed appendix? A prospective audit. J Eval Clin Pract. 2005 Oct; 11(5):507-8.
- MBBS JIPMER, India 1993
- Masters of Surgery PGI Chandigarh, India 1997
- MD (Research) University College Hospital (London) 2009
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2004
- FRCS General Surgey Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2014
Reference number 6051778
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
British Hernia Society
- Little Aston Hall DriveLittle AstonSUTTON...
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 0121 756 0066
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.