- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 24 Apr 2020
- Foot & Ankle
Mr Malagelada is a fellowship trained Trauma and Orthopaedic surgeon at The Royal London Hospital, the UK’s largest trauma centre.
He specializes in all aspects of the foot and ankle, involving degenerative conditions, sports injuries and complex trauma. By adopting an individualized approach to patient care, personal needs and preferences are addressed and included in the treatment plan. A vast majority of patients can benefit from tailored non-operative treatments and surgery is only advised when absolutely necessary.
When indicated he performs minimally invasive surgery (MIS) or arthroscopy (keyhole) using the latest techniques.
He is actively involved in research and has published extensively in the most respected international journals and textbooks in the field of orthopaedics. He holds a PhD degree for studies based on minimally invasive surgery of the foot.
He has been awarded the esteemed ESSKA-AFAS fellowship to conduct research by the Ankle & Foot section of the European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery & Arthroscopy. He holds a honorary senior clinical lecturer post at Queen Mary University of London where he teaches and trains students and doctors. He is responsible for training junior surgeons at the Royal London and as part of the BOFAS accredited foot & ankle fellowship he runs.
Areas of interest
Trauma; sports injuries; foot and ankle; arthroscopic; surgery; minimally invasive; bunion; toes; deformities; arthritis; replacement; arthroplasty; arthroscopy; diabetic foot; rheumatoid; achilles; tendons; tibialis posterior; peroneal; tendon rupture; tendinitis; tendinopathy; ankle ligaments; ligament repair; reconstruction; plantar fasciitis; Morton's neuroma; flat foot; cavus foot; surgical therapies; conservative treatment; non-operative treatment
Current NHS consultant posts held
The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, E1 1BB
Minimally invasive foot surgery
Arthroscopic ankle surgery
Sports injuries of the ankle
Ankle fracture fixation
Complex foot and ankle trauma
Anatomy and medical education
Patient safety during surgery
- "Cum laude" distinction for the PhD thesis
- ESSKA-AFAS Foot & Ankle fellowship - Fortius Clinic, London
- KSSTA Best Journal publication of the year. 2012
- Pau Golano Award for the best congress presentation. International GRECMIP congress of Foot & Ankle Minimially Invasive Surgery. 2015
- Smith & Nephew - South African Orthopaedic Association Award. 2017
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Spanish - Native or bilingual
- Catalan - Native or bilingual
Over 55 peer reviewed publications in scientific Journals. Plus 7 book chapters in Orthopaedic textbooks.
For a detailed list of publications listed on PubMed go to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=malagelada+f
Courses offered to GPs
- Fellow of the European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (FEBOT) European Federation of Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2013
- Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery (LMS) University of Barcelona 2005
- Senior Foot and Ankle Fellowship - Windsor BOFAS Accredited (British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society) 2017
Reference number 7241639
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Board Member GRECMIP. Group of Research and Study in Minimally Invasive Foot Surgery 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedics, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
- GMC - General Medical Council
- BOFAS - British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- EFAS - European Foot and Ankle Society
- ESSKA - European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
- GRECMIP. Group of Research and Study in Minimally Invasive Foot Surgery
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.