- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 21 Apr 2020
- Vascular surgery
Mr Abdelhamid has qualified from Cairo University Medical School in 1998 with Honours. He completed a research and Masters degree in Surgical Science in 2002. Finished basic training at Cairo University Hospital in 2003. Started higher surgical training at Cairo University hospital before moving to the UK in 2004.
Mohamed performed his research at University of Birmingham and undertook general and vascular surgery training in London. He spent two years as endovascular fellow in Australia. Obtained his FRCS, CCT and MD degree in 2017.
Mr Abdelhamid was appointed as Consultant Vascular & Endovascular Surgeon at St George’s University Hospitals in 2017. In addition, he is an Honorary Consultant at Epsom and St Helier's University Hospitals NHS Trust, and is the main vascular surgeon responsible for delivery of vascular services at St Helier’s Hospital.
His practice includes the management of varicose veins (surgical, ablation and injection), peripheral arterial disease (including diabetic foot), abdominal aortic aneurysm, carotid artery disease and thoracic outlet syndrome.
His specialist interests include endovascular interventions (minimal invasive) for aortic disease, peripheral arterial disease and varicose veins.
Mohamed has several publications in high impact vascular journals and has presented in national and international meetings. He is a reviewer for several vascular journals.
Areas of interest
Varicose veins treatment including surgery, minimal invasive procedure, laser ablation, radio-frequency ablation, foam sclerotherapy and injection of thread veins; Peripheral vascular disease and treatment of poor circulation of the lower and upper limbs including bypass surgery and minimal invasive procedure like balloon angioplasty and stents; Abdominal aortic aneurysm and dilatation of the aorta; Carotid artery disease and prevention of stroke; Thoracic outlet syndrome and release of pressure caused by the first rib or extra cervical rib.
- Heba Tantawi
- ST. Anthonys Hospital Mr Mohamed Abdelhamid's PA 801 London Road Cheam Sutton SM3 9DW
- 07860 785049
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Malgosia Albin Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Vascular & Endovascular Surgeon
St George's University Hospitals, London.
Peripheral Vascular disease.
Diabetic foot treatment.
Varicose veins treatment.
Abdominal aortic aneurysm and effect on coagulation
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
• Effect of graft fabric on Pulse Wave Velocity following Endovascular Aneurysm Repair. J Endovasc Ther. 2014 Dec;21(6):859-60
• Assessment of renal function by means of Cystatin C following standard and fenestrated endovascular aneurysm repair. Ann Vasc Surg. 2013 Aug;27(6):708-13
• Effect of endovascular and open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair on thrombin generation and fibrinolysis. J Vasc Surg 2013 Jan;57(1):103-7
• The relationship between aortic aneurysm sac thrombus volume on coagulation, fibrinolysis and platelet activity. Thromb Res. 2012 Sep;130(3):463-6
• Changes in thrombin generation, fibrinolysis, platelet and endothelial cell activity and inflammatory responses following endovascular aortic aneurysm repair (EVAR). J Vasc Surg 2012 Jan; 55(1):41-6
• Peri-operative myocardial injury and haemostasis in patients undergoing endovascular aneurysm repair for asymptomatic infra-renal abdominal aortic aneurysm. Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011 Nov;45(8):712-716
• The Impact on Blood Coagulation, Fibrinolysis and Platelet Activation of Open Surgical and Endovascular Aneurysm Repair (EVAR) in Patients with Infra-renal Abdominal Aortic. J Vasc Surg. 2011 Sep;54(3):865-78
• Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) reverses the increased titre and the inflammatory activity of interleukin-1α in the serum of patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2011 Aug;54(2):497-503
• Below-the-ankle angioplasty is a feasible and effective intervention for critical leg ischemia. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2010 June;39(6):762-8
• Riedel's thyroiditis masquerading as anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2010 Jan 20;4:15
• Carotid artery Pseudoaneurysm after Carotid Endarterectomy: Case series and literature review. Vasc & Endovasc Surg 2009 Dec;43(6):571-7
• Unrecognized Scurvy. BMJ 2009;339:b3580
• Computed tomography directed surgical treatment for thoracoabdominal impalement injury. Injury Extra 2009 May;40(5):96-98
• Non-anastomotic aneurysm of the Dacron® graft. The Internet Journal of Surgery 2007; 13(2)
• Ischemic Lumbo-Sacral plexopathy following Aorto-Iliac bypass graft: Case report and review of literature. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2007 Jul;89(5):W12-3
Chronic Mesenteric Ischaemia.
In: Eds. Bhattacharya V, Stansby G. Post-Graduate Vascular Surgery: The Candidate’s Guide to the FRCS. Cambridge University Press, 2009
Courses offered to GPs
Venous Problems in the Primary Care.
Management of common Vascular diseases.
- MBBCh Cairo University Medical School 1998
- MSc General Surgery Cairo University Medical School 2002
- MRCS Ed Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2005
- MD University of Birmingham 2017
- FRCSEd Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2017
- Assistant Lecturer Cairo University Hospital 2004
- General Surgery Resident Cairo University Hospital 2000
- Endovascular Fellow Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Australia 2015
- SpR London Deanery 2011
Reference number 6131409
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2017
- New Malden Diagnostic Centre
- 18:00 - 19:00
- 020 3277 0160
- St Anthony's Hospital
- 12:30 - 14:30
- 020 8335 4678
- St Anthony's Hospital
- 09:00 - 10:00
- 020 8335 4678
- The Harley Street Clinic
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 020 3131 2552
- The Lister Hospital
- 18:00 - 19:00
- 020 7730 8298
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact the hospital directly and they will contact Mr Abdelhamid