- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Spyros Panagiotopoulos graduated in 1998 from Medical School of National and Kapodistrian University of Athens in Greece. He underwent general surgery training by completing and graduating from a 6-year integrated residency program and he focused in advanced laparoscopic and upper gastrointestinal training at University Hospital of Patras, Greece and IRCAD (Research Institute for Digestive Cancer) in Strasbourg, France.
He gained his Certificate of Completion of Training in 2008 at University Hospital of Patras in Greece, where he continued his higher specialist training in metabolic and bariatric surgery in the Bariatric & Metabolic Unit at University Hospital of Patras (an IFSO recognized Centre of Excellence).
He got further specialist training (Fellowship) in Acute Care Surgery (Emergency General & Trauma Surgery) at King's College Hospital in 2012 where subsequently was appointed as Consultant Surgeon.
In 2013 he was awarded his PhD with honours in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery and he was accredited as a metabolic/bariatric surgeon at King's College Hospital in London. He has gained his Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons (England) in 2016.
He has full membership of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons, the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society, the European Association for Endoscopic Surgery and the British Medical Association.
Mr Panagiotopoulos's interests are in the metabolic & bariatric surgery, in all aspects of gallstone disease surgery and all types of hernia repair surgery including laparoscopic and open approaches. He specializes in performing advanced laparoscopic (key-hole) surgery for all operations.
He is heavily involved in the acute surgery training (emergency general and trauma surgery) at King's College Hospital, specializing in high risk surgical patients.
Areas of interest
Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery;Advanced Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Surgery;Gallbladder/Gallstone disease (open/laparoscopic-"keyhole") surgery;Abdominal wall hernia surgery (open/laparoscopic-"keyhole")
- Grizelda Massey
- London Bridge Hospital 27 Tooley Street London SE1 2PR
- 020 7234 2893
- 020 7234 2030
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in General Surgery (Acute Surgery--Upper Gastrointestinal / Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery)
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust,
Denmark Hill, SE59RS, London
Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery,
Surgical Treatment of Diabetes,
High Risk Surgical Patients,
Emergency General & Trauma Surgery
Cycling, Hiking, Traveling
PhD in the field of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (2013 with Honors)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Native or bilingual
- Italian - Conversational
1. Rubino, F., Panagiotopoulos, S.
Surgery: Metabolic surgery: The cutting edge of diabetes care.
(2017) Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 14 (7), pp. 389-390. DOI: 10.1038/nrgastro.2017.45
2. Genser, L., Casella Mariolo, J.R., Castagneto-Gissey, L., Panagiotopoulos, S., Rubino, F.
Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, and the Metabolic Syndrome: Pathophysiologic Relationships and Guidelines for Surgical Intervention
(2016) Surgical Clinics of North America, 96 (4), pp. 681-701. Cited 2 times. DOI: 10.1016/j.suc.2016.03.013
- Medical Degree National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece 1998
- Certificate of Specialist Training / Greek Board of Surgery Prefecture of Achaia, Greece 2008
- Fellowship Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Patras, Greece 2010
- Fellowship in Emergency General Surgery and Major Trauma King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London 2012
- Accreditation in Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London 2018
- Diplome D’Université De Chirurgie Laparoscopique Université Strasbourg 1, Strasbourg, France 2006
- Postgraduate Course in Colorectal Surgery Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Greece 2007
Reference number 7151099
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC / Specialist Register (General Surgery), 2011
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons (Eng)
AUGIS / BOMSS (Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons/British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society)
EAES (European Association for Endoscopic Surgery)
HSES (Hellenic Society of Endoscopic Surgery)
HTSES (Hellenic Society of Trauma and Emergency Surgery)
ACS-ATLS (American College of Surgeons/Greek Chapter)
British Medical Association
Medical Protection Society
- 27 Tooley Street LONDON SE1 2PR
- 10:00 - 16:00
- 020 7407 3100
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Contact Number--+44 (0) 742 878 6875