- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Foot & Ankle
- Video and telephone consultations
Arul is an experienced Consultant Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Surgeon, practising in the Buckinghamshire area. His practice is dedicated solely to foot and ankle surgery. His patient-centred, research driven approach means treatment plans are focused on each patient’s individual needs and outcomes. He believes that to achieve the best possible outcomes for patients, it involves engaging them in the decision-making process and utilising non-operative techniques where possible. Should surgery be required, Arul believes that the best results come from meticulous planning and precise execution.
• Dedicated foot and ankle practice, seeing over 750 patients with wide ranging
conditions every year
• Current serving Army Orthopaedic Surgeon with operational experience in Iraq and
• Manages complex foot and ankle injuries in military personnel and facilitates swift
return to service
• Extensive experience in the management of high-level athletes
• Specialist interest in sports foot and ankle injuries, including the completion of PhD
in foot and ankle trauma
• Foot and ankle specialty Editor for the leading orthopaedic journal, The Bone and
• Supervisor for PhD students in stem cell research and reducing disability from
complex foot and ankle trauma at Imperial College London
• Winner of over 10 prizes and over £2million in grants relating to his research
• Recipient of highly prestigious ABC (American-British-Canadian) Travelling
Fellowship by the British Orthopaedic Association, presenting his work in North
• Arul read Medicine at Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge and then completed
Basic Surgical Training in Newcastle.
• Attended The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst to complete Officer Training and
has 20 years’ experience as a serving British Army Officer.
• Arul undertook a PhD in Bio-Engineering at Imperial College London from 2008 to
2011. His thesis on Foot and Ankle combat injuries led to the development of new
technology to reduce blast injuries.
• He commenced Higher Surgical Training in Orthopaedics and Trauma on the
Birmingham Rotation in 2011.
• Arul is a Triple Fellowship trained (Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham –
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford – Fortius Clinic, London) including the only UK
based Sports Foot & Ankle Fellowship which almost exclusively looked after
Research, Publications & Teaching
Arul continues to engage in research with a focus on improving function after complex foot and ankle trauma and the role of stem cells in healing bones and cartilage. He is also interested in the management and outcomes from ankle ligament injuries in professional footballers.
He has published over 50 peer reviewed journals, co-authored over 10 book chapters
and regularly presents at National and International conferences. Arul enjoys training Orthopaedic Surgeons that rotate through the hospital and regularly teaches on International Orthopaedic courses on Foot and Ankle conditions.
He is a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College London, supervising multiple PhD Students.
Arul has been appointed to the Editorial Board of the Bone & Joint Journal as the Foot and Ankle Specialty Editor.
Areas of interest
Hallux valgus (‘bunion’);
Big toe arthritis;
Ankle instability; Ankle ligament injury;
Ankle cartilage injuries;
Osteochondral defect of the ankle;
Posterior impingement of ankle;
Stress fractures of the foot and ankle; Chronic compartment syndrome of the foot and lower leg;
Navicular stress fracture;
Tibialis posterior dysfunction;
Tibialis posterior reconstruction;
- Kate Pink
- BMI Saxon Clinic Chadwick Drive Eaglestone West Milton Keynes MK6 5LR
- 07539 469926
Anaesthetists worked with
- Milton Keynes Cons. Anaesthetists Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Foot and Ankle Surgeon, Milton Keynes University Hospital
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, Defence Medical Services
In addition to his clinical practice, Mr Ramasamy has published over 50 peer reviewed academic papers and book chapters. His current research focus is related to improving outcomes from foot and ankle injuries and developing new methods to heal fractures. He is also an Associate Editor for the Bone and Joint Journal. He is a Senior Lecturer within the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College London and supervises numerous PhD Students. He has received over £2 million in grants associated with his research projects.
Mr Ramasamy has published extensively with over 50 peer-reviewed papers and book chapters. His research publications can be found at;
- PhD Imperial College London 2012
- FRCS (Tr+Orth) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2015
- Diploma in Leadership (MCGI) Royal City and Guilds Institute, London 2010
- Post Grad Certificate in Education University of Birmingham 2012
- Diploma Medical Care of Catastrophes (DMCC) Society of Apothecaries 2009
- Diploma in Sports Medicine University of Bath 2002
- MFSEM (UK) Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine 2007
- MA (Cantab) Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge 2000
- MBBChir Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge 2000
- Foot and Ankle Fellowship Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham 2016
- Sports Foot and Ankle Fellowship Fortius Clinic London 2017
- Foot and Ankle Fellowship Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford 2017
Reference number 4673901
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Senior Lecturer Academic Department of Military Surgery and Trauma, Royal Centre for Defence Medicine 2018
- Specialty Editor Bone and Joint Journal 2018
- Senior Lecturer Royal British Legion Centre for Blast Injury Studies, Imperial College London 2017
- Associate Editor Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association
British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
Combined Services Orthopaedic Society
ESSKA - Associate Foot and Ankle Surgery
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.