- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Kingsbridge Private Hospital, Hillsborough Private Clinic .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Surgical retinal
Miss Jothi works as a substantive Consultant Eye Surgeon at the Belfast Health & Social Care Trust with a specialist interest in vitreo-retinal surgery and medical retina. Her NHS practice includes general and specialist clinics at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast and South Tyrone Hospital, Dungannon and at Banbridge Polyclinic.
Miss Jothi has had extensive training in the field of Ophthalmology in Northern Ireland, England and India. She qualified as an eye specialist in India with 4 years of specialist post-graduate training before moving to Northern Ireland where she has spent another 7 years further training and obtained CCT in 2016. She spent a further 2 years specialising in a Medical and Surgical Retina Fellowships in Belfast and Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham before taking up her substantive NHS post in Northern Ireland in 2017.
Miss Jothi is a Member and Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmology, UK and is a member of the British and Eire Association of Vitreo-Retinal Surgeons (BEAVRS), and holds specialist qualifications both in the UK and India with Fellowship FRCOphth, Membership MRCOphth, Diploma DRCOphth from The Royal College of Ophthalmology and Master of Surgery MS Ophth from The TN Dr MGR Medical University, India.
Miss Jothi sees patients with both general and specialist eye conditions in all age-groups including for Cataract surgery, Laser procedures, Retinal diseases,Glaucoma, Lid diseases, Macular degeneration and eye emergencies.
Miss Jothi sees private patients at Kingsbridge Private Hospital, Belfast, Hillsborough Private Clinic and North West Independent Hospital, Ballykelly.
Areas of interest
Cataract Surgery; medical retina; surgical retina; laser procedures; lid and conjunctiva diseases; foreign bodies in eye; medical and surgical management of glaucoma; ophthalmology emergencies - reduced vision, red eye, trauma, eye infections.
- Dianne Shanks
- Hillsborough Private Clinic 2 Main Street Hillsborough BT26 6AE
- 028 9268 8899
- Phyliss Kirkland
- South Tyrone Hospital Carland Road Dungannon BT71 4AU
- 028 3756 5569
- Sarah I`anson or Lynsey Brown
- North West Independent Clinic Churchill House 27 Main Street Ballykelly Limavady BT49 9HS
- 028 7776 3090
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreo-Retinal Surgeon,
Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
Belfast Health & Social Care Trust, Northern Ireland
South Tyrone Hospital, Dungannon
Southern Health and Social Care Trust, Northern Ireland.
Surgical and Medical Retina
Co-investigator in SAKURA study for non-infectious posterior uveitis (2012-14) which involved intravitreal injections of the test drug, clinical assessment and follow up as part the multicentre research project.
Research study on - Assessment of Effectiveness of "The Acrysof IQ Intraocular Lens" in retarding the progression of Age-related Maculopathy looking at retinal changes (Presented in ARVO 2011).
Prospective study on Cataract surgery in Diabetic patients looking at complications and visual outcomes as a Candidate Thesis (2003-2006).
I am mum of 2 kids and I love travelling, Indian art & music
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Tamil - Native or bilingual
- Hindi - Fluent
1) Solitary Idiopathic Choroiditis Coexisting with Cuticular Drusen. Casalino G, Gnana Jothi V, Chakravarthy U; Ophthalmology Retina
Volume 2, Issue 2, February 2018, Page 167 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oret.2017.09.001
2) Biotinidase Deficiency, Bilateral Optic Atrophy, and a Visual Field Defect. Chamney S; Jothi VG; McLoone E; Neuroophthalmology. 2013 Nov 19;37(6):251-253. doi:10.3109/01658107.2013.824004. eCollection 2013.
3) Retinal detachment repair and cataract surgery in patients with atopic dermatiti...
Retinal detachment repair and cataract surgery in patients with atopic dermatitis.
Eye (Lond). 2017 Sep;31(9):1296-1301. doi: 10.1038/eye.2017.151. Epub 2017 Aug 11.
Head, Neck and Dental Emergencies 2nd Edition 2018 of Oxford Medical Publications https://books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=0191088757; Chapter 10:The Eye and Eyelids.
Abstracts published for posters and oral presentations:
1)Jothi V, Chamney S, McCloone E ; Juvenile Open angle glaucoma (JOAG) in Biotinidase deficiency. UK Pediatric Glaucoma Society (2012).
2) Alexander S, Silvestri G, Jothi V, Mahon G, Silvestri V, and Williams MA: Honeycomb retinal pigmented epithelium on optical coherence tomography in LCHAD deficiency. ARVO (2012).
3) Jothi VG, Silvestri G. Assessment of Effectiveness of "The Acrysof IQ Intraocular Lens" In Retarding The Progression Of Age-related Maculopathy. ARVO (2011).
4) Jothi VG, Silvestri G. Review of patients following YAG Capsulotomy for Posterior Capsular Opacification. RCO (2011).
5) Jothi VG, Kamala rajah S. Retro bulbar Hemorrhage as a complication of transcutaneous ablation of 5th Nerve. RCO (2009).
6) Jothi VG, Brennan R, Mulholland D. Sjogren’s Reticular Dystrophy - A case series. Irish Ophthalmic Society Meet (2009).
7) Jothi VG. Sympathetic Ophthalmia – as a post neurosurgical complication at 53rd Annual Conference of Tamilnadu Ophthalmic Association, India (2005).
8) Jothi VG. Ectopic Lacrimal tissue in a neonate – An unusual presentation at 53rd Annual Conference of Tamilnadu Ophthalmic Association, India (2005).
9) Jothi VG. Inferior subluxation of lens in Marfan`s syndrome – A rare presentation at 53rd Annual Conference of Tamilnadu Ophthalmic Association India (2005)
- FRCOphth Fellow of Royal college of Ophthalmologists, UK 2014
- MRCOpht Membership of Royal college of Ophthalmologists, UK 2010
- DRCOphth Diploma of Royal college of Ophthalmologists, UK 2009
- MS (Ophthal) Master of Surgery in Ophthalmology, The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, India 2006
- MBBS Kilpauk Medical College,The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, India 2002
- Post CCT fellowship in Vitreo-Retinal Surgery Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospital, Nottingham 2016
- Post CCT fellowship in Medical and Surgical Retina Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast (BHSCT) 2015
- SPR (Specialist Registrar Training) in Ophthalmology from 2008 to 2015 Northen Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency (NIMDTA) 2008
- Post-graduation training Ophthalmology in tertiary teaching hospital in India (2002 to 2006) Stanley Medical College and Hospital, The TN Dr MGR Medical University, India 2002
Reference number 6083525
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Membership of British and Irish Association of Vitreo-Retinal Surgeons (BEAVRS) British and Irish Association of Vitreo-Retinal Surgeons (BEAVRS) 2015
- Member of European Society of Refractive and Cataract Surgeons (608838) European Society of Refractive and Cataract Surgeons 2013
- Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmology (6814) Royal College of Ophthalmology 2006
- Member of British Medical Association 9504648 British Medical Association 2006
- Medical Defense Union (MDDUS) M225832 Medical Defense Union (MDDUS) 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council UK (Ophthalmology), 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Member of British and Irish Association of Vitreo-Retinal Surgeons (BEAVRS)
Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Ophthalmology
Member of Medical Defense Union (MDDUS)
Member of British Medical Association
Member of European Society of Refractive and Cataract Surgeons
- Hillsborough Private Clinic, Hillsborough
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 028 9268 8899
- Kingsbridge Private Hospital, 801-815 Lisburn...
- 14:00 - 19:30
- 028 9066 7878
- South Tyrone Hospital, Dungannon, BT71 4AU
- 17:00 - 19:00
- 028 3756 5569
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
02837565569 - Phyliss Kirkland, Ophthalmology Secretary at STH, Dungannon