- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cardiac CT/MRI
I regularly assess patients with chest pains, breathlessness, palpitations, dizziness and blackouts in my clinics. Imaging of the heart is frequently crucial in establishing the diagnosis and I regularly perform cardiac MRI, CT coronary angiograms and both transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography in my routine clinical practice; I have also authored the only examination book endorsed by the British Society of Echocardiography entitled “Successful Accreditation in Echocardiography” published by Wiley-Blackwell in 2012, which continues to be widely used throughout the UK & Europe.
Crucially, I have never lost sight of the importance of communicating effectively to all my patients in order that they always leave the consultation with an understanding of their problems and the best way to manage them.
Areas of interest
CT coronary angiography; cardiac MRI; CTCA; CMR; ECV; T1 mapping; cardiac CT; coronary angiogram; chest pain; breathlessness;
- Diane Smith
- Royal Blackburn Hospital Haslingden Road Blackburn BB2 3HH
- 01254 733163
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist, East Lancashire NHS Trust, the Royal Blackburn Hospital & Burnley General Hospital.
My specialist interests are in all aspects of cardiac imaging, be it coronary artery disease or cardiomyopathies. My interest in the latter follows on from my cardiac MRI research work at the UCL, which I have presented nationally and internationally over the years; I also had the honour of being invited to present directly to HRH The Princess Royal in July 2011 at the Royal Free Hospital.
I am proud to have received several distinguished international awards, including from the American Heart Association (2013) and Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (2014). I continue to be invited to give presentations and chair educational sessions at national conferences.
I have over 20 publications to my name in various peer-reviewed medical journals to date.
Football. Watching and playing. I support Man Utd.
English and Indian music. Personal favourites include Madonna, Abba, George Michael, Michael Jackson, Kishore Kumar & Mohammed Rafi.
Young Investigator winner:
National Amyloidosis Symposium £1000 (2012)
American Heart Association $500 (2013)
SCMR Finalist (2013)
Medical Research Council grant for BMedSci (1998-99)
Distinction for BMedSci (Hons)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Conversational
1. Banypersad SM, Pearce K, “Successful Accreditation in Echocardiography” Wiley-Blackwell, ISBN 10 : 0470656921, Paperback. (Mar 2012)
1. Banypersad SM. The Evolving Role of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Evaluation of Systemic Amyloidosis. Magn Reson Insights. 2019 May 1;12: 1-10.
2. Maestrini V, Birtolo LI, Cimino S, Severino P, Mancone M, Francone M, Banypersad SM, Ventriglia F, Tritapepe L, Miraldi F, Fedele F. Giant right atrium and subvalvular pulmonary stenosis: A case report of an interesting combination. Echocardiography. 2019 May;36(5):992-995
3. Fontana M, Pica S, Reant P, Abdel-Gadir A, Treibel TA, Banypersad SM. Prognostic Value of Late Gadolinium Enhancement Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance in Cardiac Amyloidosis. Circulation. 2016 Mar 22;133(12):e450-1.
4. Fontana M, Banypersad SM, Differential Myocyte Responses in Patients with Cardiac Transthyretin Amyloidosis and Light-Chain Amyloidosis: A Cardiac MR Imaging Study. Radiology. 2015 May 21:141744.
5. Banypersad SM, Fontana M, Maestrini V, Sado DM, Captur G, Petrie A, Piechnik SK, Whelan CJ, Herrey A, Gillmore JD, Lachmann HJ, Wechalekar AD, Hawkins PN, Moon JC. T1 mapping and Survival in Systemic AL Amyloidosis. EHJ 2015. 23; 36(4): 244-51
6. Fontana M, Banypersad SM. “Native T1 mapping in transthyretin amyloidosis” JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Feb;7(2):157-65.
7. Sado DM, White SK, Piechnik SK, Banypersad SM, “The Identification and Assessment of Anderson Fabry Disease by Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Non-Contrast Myocardial T1 Mapping.” Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 1;6(3), 392-8.
8. Karamitsos TD, Piechnik SK, Banypersad SM, Fontana M, Ntusi NB, Ferreira VM, Whelan CJ, Myerson SG, Robson MD, Hawkins PN, Neubauer S, Moon JC. “Noncontrast T1 mapping for the diagnosis of cardiac amyloidosis.” JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 Apr;6(4):488-97
9. Banypersad SM, Sado DM, Flett AS, Gibbs SD, Pinney JH, Maestrini V, Cox AT, Fontana M, Whelan CJ, Wechalekar AD, Hawkins PN, Moon JC. “Quantification of myocardial extracellular volume fraction in systemic AL amyloidosis: an equilibrium contrast cardiovascular magnetic resonance study.” Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 Jan 1;6(1):34-9
10. Banypersad SM, Moon JC, Whelan C, Hawkins PN, Wechalekar AD. Updates in cardiac amyloidosis: a review. J Am Heart Assoc. 2012 Apr;1(2):e000364
Courses offered to GPs
Annual East Lancashire GP Network meeting, the Dunkenhalgh Hotel, Blackburn.
- MBChB University of Sheffield 2002
- BMedSci (Hons) class 1 University of Sheffield 1999
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians (London) 2005
- MD (UCL) University College of London 2015
- SCMR Level 3 SCMR 2015
- BSCI Level 2 Harefield Hospital, London 2015
- BSE Accreditation (TTE) British Society of Echocardiography 2007
Reference number 6052530
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
British Cardiovascular Society
Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
British Society of Echocardiography
- BMI The Beardwood Hospital, Preston New Road,...
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01254 733163
- Spire Hospital Manchester
- 08:30 - 13:00
- 01254 733163
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details