- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Video consultations
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 13 Aug 2020
Mr Priyan Landham is a Consultant Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon at Nuffield Health Bristol, The Chesterfield Hospital, Circle Bath Hospital, Southmead Hospital and Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, which are centres of excellence for complex spine surgery and spinal deformity correction.
Mr Landham qualified from Imperial College, London in 2002 and completed his orthopaedic training in London and Bristol. He has undertaken adult and paediatric spine fellowships in Bristol, Auckland City Hospital and Starship Children’s Hospital in New Zealand.
Mr Landham manages and treats patients presenting with back pain and sciatica, as well as neck and arm pain. His practice involves surgery for all degenerative spine conditions, spine tumours, fractures and deformity.
Mr Landham has a strong interest in spine research, having completed a research doctorate in the biomechanics of spinal fractures and the optimisation of vertebral augmentation. He has won several research prizes, including Best Paper at the Society for Back Pain Research, the Australian Spine Society and the American Society for Spinal Radiology. He has several on going international research collaborations and is on the editorial board of the Bone & Joint Journal 360.
Areas of interest
Spine surgery; back pain; neck pain; arm pain; sciatica; slipped disc; spinal stenosis; degenerative spine; scoliosis; lumbar fusion; cervical spine surgery; minimally-invasive spine surgery; navigation spine surgery; vertebroplasty; kyphoplasty; spine injections;
- Hannah Long
- Circle Bath Hospital Foxcote Avenue Peasedown St John Bath BA2 8SF
- 01761 422236
- 07840 046174
- Toni Hewlett
- Spire Bristol Hospital Redland Hill Redland Bristol BS6 6UT
- 0117 980 4052
- 01798 04055
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Kate O'Connor Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon
Bristol BS10 5NB
Bristol Royal Hospital for Children
Upper Maudlin St
Bristol BS2 8BJ
Biomechanics of spinal fractures and vertebral augmentation
Optimising lumbar lordosis with interbody spine fusion
• Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Fellowship (2011)
• Spine Society of Australia Best Paper – Best Podium Presentation (2015)
• American Society for Spinal Radiology Best Paper (2013) - Best Podium Presentation
• Society for Back Pain Research Secretary’s Award (2012) - Best Oral Poster presentation
Key publications in spine surgery:
• Myelography in the Assessment of Degenerative Lumbar Scoliosis and Its Influence on Surgical Management.
McKay G, Torrie PA, Bertram W, Landham PR, Morris S, Hutchinson J, Watura R, Harding I.
Korean Journal of Spine. 2017 Dec;14(4):133-138.
• Do position and size matter? An analysis of cage and placement variables for optimum lordosis in PLIF reconstruction.
Landham PR, Don AS, Robertson PA.
European Spine Journal. 2017 Nov;26(11):2843-2850.
• Development and validation of a subject-specific finite element model of the functional spinal unit to predict vertebral strength.
Lee CH, Landham PR, Eastell R, Adams MA, Dolan P, Yang L.
Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers H. 2017 Sep;231(9):821-830.
• Universal No-fault Compensation is Associated With Improved Return to Work Rates in Spine Fusion.
Manson JF, Landham PR, Cunningham JE, Montgomery AS, Don AS, Robertson PA.
Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Oct 15;40(20):1620-31.
• Pathogenesis of Vertebral Anterior Wedge Deformity: A 2-Stage Process?
Landham PR, Gilbert SJ, Baker-Rand HL, Pollintine P, Robson Brown KA, Adams MA, Dolan P.
Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Jun 15;40(12):902-8.
• Is kyphoplasty better than vertebroplasty at restoring form and function after severe vertebral wedge fractures?
Landham PR, Baker-Rand HL, Gilbert SJ, Pollintine P, Annesley-Williams DJ, Adams MA, Dolan P.
Spine Journal. 2015 Apr 1;15(4):721-32.
• Intervertebral disc decompression following endplate damage: implications for disc degeneration depend on spinal level and age.
Dolan P, Luo J, Pollintine P, Landham PR, Stefanakis M, Adams MA.
Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Aug 1;38(17):1473-81.
- MB BS Imperial College, London 2002
- BSc Imperial College London 1999
- MSc Cardiff University 2008
- MD University of Bristol 2013
- FRCS (Tr&Orth) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2011
- Adult Spine Fellowship Auckland City Hospital, New Zealand 2013
- Paediatric Spine Fellowship Starship Children's Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand 2014
- Adult & Paediatric Spine Fellowship Southmead Hospital and Bristol Children's Hospital 2015
Reference number 6053698
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons of England
British Orthopaedic Association
British Association of Spine Surgeons
North American Spine Society
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.