- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Head & neck oncology
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Rahul Jayaram is a UK and Internationally trained Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon with a subspecialty interest in Head and Neck Cancer, Skin Cancer and Reconstructive Surgery of the Head, Neck and Face. His NHS practice is based at St George's University Hospital, London and Epsom St Helier Hospitals, Surrey. Mr Jayaram's private practice is based at Harley street and other renowned private hospitals in London and Surrey.
He is dually qualified in both Medicine and Dentistry, winning multitude of academic awards and distinctions during his training. His basic and higher specialist surgical training was at prestigious London teaching hospitals - Kings College Hospital, Guy's Hospital and St George's Hospital. He was awarded the prestigious British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists and the British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons travel awards for Fellowship in Transoral Robotic Surgery in Hamburg. This was followed by the Advanced Head & Neck Surgery Fellowship at the Internationally renowned Sydney Head and Neck Cancer Institute based at the prestigious Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Hospital in Sydney.
Mr Jayaram, is highly trained and has a wealth of experience in ablative head and neck cancer and microvascular reconstructive surgery including advanced and contemporary techniques of free tissue transfers such as perforator flaps, computer aided reconstruction design, virtual surgical planning, transoral robotic surgery, dynamic facial reanimation techniques for facial palsy, corneal neurotization and salivary gland surgery. He is a core member of the South West London Regional Head and Neck Cancer Multidisciplinary team.
He is the Clinical Lead of the Skin Cancer Multidisciplinary team at Epsom St Heliers Hospitals NHS trust and has a busy practice in the surgical management of skin cancers of the head & neck and aesthetic & functional reconstruction of such defects.
His practice also includes, management of nerve damage in the head and neck, surgical and non-surgical management of facial palsy with techniques such as facial suspension, brow lift, free muscle transfer and functional Botox injections for management of synkinesis and facial muscle balance. In addition to the training and expertise he gained on such procedures during his fellowship- Mr Jayaram also undertook a further visiting fellowship to the Facial nerve centre at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Institute in Boston.
Mr Jayaram is one of the very few reconstructive surgeons who undertakes nerve transfer to restore sensation to non-sensate corneal surface of the eye and works jointly with his Ophthalmic surgical colleagues for this procedure.
He treats most conditions affecting the mouth, neck, jaws and the face. He sees patients for surgical removal of wisdom teeth and roots, assessment of mouth ulcers and white/ red patches in the oral cavity, jaw joints (TMJ) related pain, masseteric hypertrophy, management of benign cysts & tumours of the jaws, facial trauma, fat and bone grafting, dental implants and salivary gland surgery (open and minimally invasive).
He has widely published and regularly lectures at national and international meetings. Rahul is an enthusiastic trainer and an educational supervisor for higher specialty trainees in London. He is involved with Medical students teaching and has been an examiner for both Imperial College London and King's College London Medical Schools.
He is a member of Council, Oral and Maxillofacial Section of the Royal Society of Medicine and has lectured at and chaired courses for this esteemed organisation. Mr Jayaram is a member of the International collaboration committee of the British Association of Head and Neck Oncology. He is the Specialty advisor for the Royal College of Surgeons of England, Maxillofacial Surgery Update series.
Mr Jayaram has a sensitive, patient focussed, contemporary and evidence-based approach to his clinical work.
Areas of interest
Head and Neck Cancer, Management of lesions of Mouth cancer (tongue, Cheek, Floor of mouth, palate), jaws (maxilla, mandible), Salivary glands. Lumps in the Neck;mouth ulcer; Skin Cancer Surgery and Reconstruction,Basal cell carcinoma (BCC), Squamous cell carcinomas (SCC), Melanoma, Biopsy, Skin grafts, Local skin flaps for reconstruction;Lipoma; Head and Neck Reconstruction, Microvascular Reconstruction; Facial Trauma; Surgery for Facial Palsy,Facial Reanimation. Salivary Gland, Parotid, Submandibular, Sublingual Gland Surgery for tumours, Mucoceles of the lips, Removal of salivary stones, sialendoscopy; Fat Grafting, Scar revision;Oral Surgery, Extractions, Surgical removal of roots, fractured and buried teeth, wisdom teeth, exposure of buried teeth, Dental Implants, Bone Grafting, Cysts and Tumours of the Jaws, Apicectomy; TMJ/ jaw joint problems, Functional Botox, jaw pain and clenching, masseteric hypertrophy and reduce excess saliva.
- Ms Hayley Rosenberg
- Spire St. Anthonys Hospital 801 London Road Cheam Sutton SM3 9DW
- 07308 469270
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Claire Mearns Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. St Georges University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London.
2. Epsom & St Heliers University Hospitals NHS Trust.
1. Virtual surgical planning and patient specific reconstruction
2. Structural fat grafting
3. Management of Facial Palsy
4. Functional Botox therapy in Head and Neck
5. Maxillofacial Head and Neck Microvascular Reconstruction
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Tamil - Conversational
- Urdu - Conversational
Courses offered to GPs
1. Oral lesions and Oral Cancer
2. Skin Cancers of the Head and Neck
- MBBS Guy's, Kings, St Thomas School of Medicine, Kings College London 2009
- BDS (Hons) King George's Medical College, Lucknow, India. 1998
- MFDSRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2003
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 2010
- MDS (OMFS) King George's Medical College, Lucknow, India. 2002
- FRCS(OMFS) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2015
- Visiting Fellowship- Head and Neck Surgery UKE (University Hospital) Hamburg, Germany 2016
- Sydney Head and Neck Cancer Institute Fellow Chris ' O Brien Lifehouse Hospital, Sydney, Australia 2016
Reference number 7043474
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Council Member, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Section Royal Society of Medicine 2019
- Member, International Collaboration Committee British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC- Specialist List in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, 2016
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine.
Fellow, British Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons.
Member, British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists.
Member, Sir Charles Bell Society
Member, European Head and Neck Society
Member, British Medical Association
Member, Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland.
- 9 Harley Street, London, W1G 9QY
- 16:00 - 18:00
- 020 7079 2100
- Ashtead Hospital, Ashtead, KT21 2SB
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01372 237000
- Spire St Anthony’s Hopsital, 801 London Road,...
- 16:00 - 18:00
- 020 8335 4678