- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
Mr Gautam Talawadekar
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
FRCS (Tr & Orth), FACS(USA), Dip Orth SICOT, Dip SEM(UK&I), MRCS (Ed), MS (Tr. & Orth), DNB (Tr & Orth), MNAMS (N. Delhi), MBBS.
I completed my Undergraduate and Post graduate training in Trauma and Orthopaedics at University of Pune, India, in 2003, for which I was awarded the Master of Surgery (MS) and Diplomate of National Board (D.N.B.) qualifications. I worked in tertiary referral centres prior to moving to the UK.
After completing basic surgical training, I undertook six years Orthopaedic training in the UK. I then undertook Fellowship training in shoulder, elbow and sports surgery in the UK and Canada. I am a Fellow of the Royal College of surgeons (FRCS Tr&Orth) and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). I have been working as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with specialist interest in Shoulder/Elbow/Hand surgery in the NHS, since July 2016.
In 2018 and 2019, I was awarded Certificate of Excellence from iWantGreatCare after becoming one of their most highly and consistently recommended clinicians in those 2 years.
I am actively involved in research with multiple National and International presentations and publications in peer reviewed journals. I am also a keen trainer and junior doctor educator, and was awarded 'Teacher of the year' award. I am an accredited faculty with the AO foundation which is a prime worldwide organisation that deals with trauma care. I am also a member of British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS) and British Indian Orthopaedic Society (BIOS). I am involved in various leadership roles including being the Venous Thromboembolism lead for his NHS Trust.
Areas of interest
Shoulder: Shoulder arthroscopy - decompression, biceps tenotomy/tenodesis, instability repair, frozen shoulder release. Shoulder replacements - Hemiarthroplasty, anatomical and reverse; Shoulder/girdle trauma - Clavicle fracture fixations for acute fractures and non unions, proximal humeral fracture fixations, tight rope fixations for AC joint dislocation Elbow: Arthroscopy - Stiff elbow release, tennis elbow release, Joint clearance for arthritis Arthroplasty - Hemiarthroplasty, radial head replacement. Soft tissue procedures - Ligament reconstruction, tennis elbow release, golfers elbow release, Platelet Rich Plasma injections, nerve releases, distal biceps tendon rupture repair. Hand and wrist:Trapeziectomy for arthritis at base of thumb Carpal tunnel release, trigger finger release Pyrocarbon replacements Arthroplasty - small joints of hand, Dupuytrens disease fasciectomy. Knee: Arthroscopy.
- Leann Hingley
- Furness General Hospital Dalton Lane Barrow-In-Furness LA14 4LF
- 01229 403843
- Ms Heidi Atherton
- Spire Hospital Fylde Coast Hospital St. Walburgas Road Blackpool FY3 8BP
- 07512 489055
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Edward McKeating Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Surgeon Upper Limb, Shoulder/Elbow, Hand and Wrist, Sports Injury.
1) Furness General Hospital
Dalton Ln, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 4LF
2) Westmoreland General Hospital
Burton Rd, Kendal LA9 7RG
1) Indian Classical Singing
6 years training. Multiple on stage performances in India and UK. Performed on All India Radio.
Faculty for multiple training courses. AOUK Faculty
2nd Prize Best Audit Competition National Junior Doctor Audit Competition, Leicester 2014
Best Poster Award European Orthopaedic Research Society meet, Nantes, France 2014
Teacher of the year award Post Grad centre QEQM Hospital, Margate, June 2011
3rd rank in the University M.S. Orth. Examination, University of Pune, India, Dec 2002
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Marathi (Marāṭhī) - Fluent
- German - Basic
MacDonald P, Talawadekar G. Chapter: Acromioclavicular joint Injury: Overview. Book: Shoulder and
Elbow Injuries in Athletes-Prevention, Treatment and Return to sport. Publisher: Elsevier. To be published Sept. 2017.
1) Wagner K, Talawadekar G, Boardman D, Patel V. Reverse shoulder replacement with lateralised centre of rotation : 2-5 year results from an independent centre. Shoulder and Elbow. 2015 Oct; 7(4):330.
2) Elnikety S, El-Husseiny M, Kamal T, Talawadekar GD, Richards H, Smith AM. Patient satisfaction with postoperative follow up by a hand therapist. Musculoskeletal Care. 2012 Mar;10(1):39-42.
3) Bhatia M, Talawadekar G, Parihar S, Smith A. An audit of the role of vitamin K in the reversal of INR in patients undergoing surgery for Hip fracture. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010 Sep;92(6):473-6.
4) Talawadekar GD, Damodaran P, Jain SA. Hourglass Ganglion cyst of foot: A Case report.
J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010 Sep-Oct;49(5):489.
5) Damodaran P, Talawadekar GD, Cornell M. Bilateral, symptomatic synovial chondromatosis of ankle in a pre-pubescent 7 year old boy - A case report. Euro Jr of Radiol., Vol 72(3), Dec’09, e137-39.
6) Talawadekar GD, Muller M, Zahn H. Benign self-limiting cystic lesion after lower end radius fracture in a child. Indian J Orthop. 2009 Jan;43(1):99-101.
7) Talawadekar G, Mostofi B, Housden P. Unusually large sized bony ossicle in Osgood Schlatter disease: a case report. Euro Jr of Radiol; Vol 69(1), Jan’09, e37-e39
8) Talawadekar G, George M., Housden P. Ophthalmic drape: An effective and inexpensive technical tip to decrease bone dust spillage into surgical wound in Hip Resurfacing. Ann R Coll of Surgeons, Vol
91(1); Jan’09, pg: 87.
9) Talawadekar G .Letter to editor in response to: "Sounding the bolt: confirming the position of the locking bolts in an intramedullary nail. Ann R Coll surgeons, 26th June 2008. (http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/publications/eletters)
10) Parasnis R, Talawadekar G, Kamdar R. Management of patients with acute spinal cord injuries. Indian Practnr 2007, 60(5), 297-300.
11) Parasnis R, Talawadekar G, Kamdar R. Intraosseous Disc Prolapse: A Diagnostic Puzzle. Indian Jr. Orthop., July 2006, Vol. 40; Number 3; P 168-172.
12) Parasnis R, Talawadekar G. Battered baby syndrome with severe malrotation deformities of all long bones of lower extremities: A case report. Injury Vol 37, Iss 6, June’06, 237-240.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://iwgc.net/ehnhk
- DNB (Tr&Orth) National Board of Examination, New Delhi, India 2004
- FACS(USA) American College of Surgeons 2019
- MBBS University of Pune, India 1999
- FRCS (Tr &Orth) Royal College of Surgeons 2012
- Dip SICOT (Tr&Orth) SICOT, EU 2012
- M.S.(Tr&Orth) University of Pune, India 2003
- Member of National Association for Medical Sciences National Association of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India 2013
- Dip Sports and Exercise Medicine (UK&Ire) Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2011
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons Ed 2003
- Sports Surgery (Shoulder/Elbow/Hand/Knee) Fellowship Pan Am Clinic, Winnipeg, Canada 2016
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) Advanced Shoulder/Elbow Fellowship Epsom and St Helier Hospital, London 2015
Reference number 6139001
Details of entry to specialist register
- CESR (CCST), 2017
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
British Shoulder and Elbow Society (BESS)
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd)
British Indian Orthopaedic Society (BIOS)
Medical Defence Union (MDU)
Maharashtra Medical Council, India.
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: gautamdt