- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at BMI Southend Hospital, Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital, Spire Wellesley Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 29 Jun 2020
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Refractive surgery
Rajesh Aggarwal, BM, MRCP(UK), FRCS, FRCOphth
Rajesh Aggarwal graduated from the University of Southampton Medical School in 1983. Prior to pursuing his chosen career in ophthalmology he trained in General Medicine, endocrinology, neurology and neurosurgery to obtaining Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of UK.
He completed his post-graduate ophthalmic training at the renowned units in Cambridge, Birmingham and London’s Moorfields Eye Hospital. He also spent a year at the Flinders University, Adelaide, one of Australia’s top Eye centres.
Rajesh has chosen laser refractive, advanced modern cataract surgery and corneal surgery as his sub-specialist interests and to supplement his skills was privileged with 2 prestigious fellowships (working with some of the most respected surgeons in their fields and working with state of the art techniques in corneal and refractive surgery).
An accredited Consultant within the National Health Service, Rajesh has held a position of Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Southend General Hospital since 1994. In this position he has become a national expert, performing high volume micro-incision cataract surgery and corneal transplantation surgery. He is referred and treats complex referrals from across Essex allowing him to continue to develop and contribute to the advancing technologies as they become available to best help his patients.
In addition to his NHS work, Rajesh manages a successful independent private practice. He first carried out laser vision correction 1993 and has been constantly updating his training to keep abreast with the latest in refractive technology. He has also designed and helped to develop some of the instruments now used in refractive surgery. As an accredited VISX user he performs a comprehensive range of laser refractive procedures including LASIK and LASEK, including the use of wavefront-guided techniques when appropriate.
In addition to the whole spectrum of laser refractive surgery options, Rajesh has great expertise and experience in a variety of other refractive procedures including Lens Replacement Surgery, with a variety of multifocal lens implants. He can therefore provide refractive solutions to the widest range of patients including presbyopic patients.
Rajesh has been active throughout his career both in teaching and research. He has presented at national and international scientific meetings and his work has been published in major peer reviewed journals.
Qualifications and Awards
• Registered with the General Medical Council as a Specialist in Ophthalmology
• Member of the Royal College of Physicians of London
• Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow
• Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
• Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
• Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
• Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
• Member of the UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Areas of interest
Refractive surgery (eyes);
Eye - external disorders;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon special interest cornea and glaucoma at Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Clinical Lead Ophthalmology at Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Advanced techniques of cataract surgery
Advances in intra-ocular lenses - including monofocal, toric and multifocal lens implants.
Laser Eye Surgery
Education and travel
Courses offered to GPs
Regular educational updates for GPs and optometrist.
More information can be obtained from by secretary on: 01702 608903
- Bachelor of Medicine University Of Southampton 1983
- Member of the Royal College Of Physicians Royal College of Physicians UK 1988
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 1990
- Fellow of the Royal College Of Ophthalmologists Royal College of Ophthalmology 1990
- PgCert Medical Education University of Bedford, England 2001
- Corneal Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital 1995
- Corneal and cataract surgery Fellowship Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia 1994
Reference number 2823742
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President of the British Society For Refractive Surgery British Society For Refractive Surgery 2015
- Examiner Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon, 1994
Affiliations / memberships
British Society for refractive surgery ( past President)
United kingdom and Ireland society for refractive surgeons (past Council member)
American Society of Ophthalmologists
Americain Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Royal College of Ophthalmology.
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Midlands Ophthalmology Society.
United Kingdom Intraocular Lens Implant Society.
Medical Contact Lens and Ocular Surface Association (MCLOSA
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.