- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
Ian Pople has been a Consultant Adult & Paediatric Neurosurgeon in Bristol, England for 22 years, having previously trained at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street in London, in Bristol and in Memphis, Tennessee. During his training in Bristol he was exposed to a variety of endoscopic techniques, lumbar microsurgery and novel treatments for hydrocephalus, including choroid plexus coagulation that were used at the time routinely to try to avoid permanent CSF shunting in infancy. He has published over 60 peer-reviewed papers and has recently supervised research comparing endoscopic and shunt treatment for hydrocephalus. His MD thesis published in 1992 was on the causes of CSF shunt infections in neonates. He was publication secretary of the Society for Research into Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida from 2000 to 2004 and Clinical Director of Neurosciences at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol from 2004 to 2010. Currently he runs children’s and adult hydrocephalus clinics at the Bristol Childrens Hospital, Southmead Hospital and also has a regular children’s clinic at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, Circle Hospital Bath and Spire Bristol Hospital.
Areas of interest
Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH);
Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome;
Chiari Malformation & syringomyelia;
Adult spinal microsurgery; lumbar disc surgery
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Neurosurgeon, Bristol Childrens Hospital and Southmead Hospital, Bristol
Hydrocephalus in neonates and adults.
Spinal dysraphism, lipomas, tethered cords.
Currently Honorary Treasurer of the Society for Reseach into Hydrocephalus & Spina Bifida
Wildlife, walking, soccer, cricket & golf
Nominated for Exceptional Healthcare Award at North Bristol Trust 2012.
Nominated to be included in Best Doctor Guides, multiple times.
15. Pople IK, Griffith HB. Prediction of an extruded fragment in lumbar disc patients from clinical presentations. Spine 1994;19(2):156-8.
16. Patel N, Pople IK, Cummins BH. Revisional lumbar microdiscectomy: an analysis of operative findings and clinical outcome. Br J Neurosurg 1995;9(6):733-7.
19 Pople IK, Ettles D. The role of endoscopic choroid plexus coagulation in the management of hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery 1995;36(4):698-701; discussion 701-2.
20 Pople IK, Muhlbauer MS, Sanford RA, Kirk E. Results and complications of intracranial pressure monitoring in 303 children. Pediatr Neurosurg 1995;23(2):64-7.
22 Pople IK, Sanford RA, Muhlbauer MS. Clinical presentation and management of 100 infants with occipital plagiocephaly. Pediatr Neurosurg 1996;25(1):1-6.
28 Pople IK, Edwards RE, Aquilina C. Endoscopic Management of Hydrocephalus treatment. Chapter in Neurosurg Clin N Am 2001 Oct 12:4 719-35
39. Hydrocephalus and shunts: what the neurologist should know.
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002 Sep 73 Suppl 1:i17-22
52 Whitelaw A, Evans D, Carter M, Thoresen M, Wroblewska J, Mandera M,
Swietlinski J, Simpson J, Hajivassiliou C, Hunt LP, Pople I.
Randomized clinical trial of prevention of hydrocephalus after intraventricular
hemorrhage in preterm infants: brain-washing versus tapping fluid.
Pediatrics. 2007 May;119(5):e1071-8. Epub 2007 Apr 2.
56. Prognosis of spina bifida in the era of prenatal diagnosis and termination of pregnancy. Aguilera S, Soothill P, Denbow M, Pople I. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2009;26(2):68-74. Epub 2009 Sep 11.
58. Randomized trial of drainage, irrigation and fibrinolytic therapy for premature infants with posthemorrhagic ventricular dilatation: developmental outcome at 2 years. Whitelaw A, Jary S, Kmita G, Wroblewska J, Musialik-Swietlinska E, Mandera M, Hunt L, Carter M, Pople I. Pediatrics. 2010 Apr;125(4):e852-8. Epub 2010 Mar 8.
62. Comparison of infection rate with the use of antibiotic-impregnated vs standard extraventricular drainage devices: a prospective, randomized controlled trial.
Pople I, et al. Neurosurgery. 2012 Jul;71(1):6-13.
0% infection rate for CSF shunts for adult hydrocephalus.
- MB ChB Sheffield University 1983
- FRCS (London) Royal College of Surgeons 1986
- MD Sheffield University 1992
- FRCS (Surg Neurol) Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 1994
- Fellowship in Paediatric Neurosurgery (one year) University of Memphis, Tennessee 1995
Reference number 2823199
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair of Paediatric Neurosciences Clinical Reference Group NHS England 2011
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist in Neurosurgery, 2003
Affiliations / memberships
Society of Expert Witnesses;
Society for Research into Hydrofcephalus & Spina Bifida
- Spire Bristol Hospital, BS6 6UT
- 09:30 - 12:30
- 07410 113266
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
I K Pople 07410113266
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: ian.pople2