- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Lower GI surgery
Mr Efthymios Ypsilantis is a Consultant General Surgeon with an interest in Laparoscopic and Colorectal Surgery.
He qualified from Medical School of Athens in 1999. He completed his Core Surgical Training in the East of England and became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2006. He completed his research at the University of Cambridge and was awarded an MPhil in Surgical Sciences in 2007.
He trained in the Eastern Deanery and London Deanery Higher Surgical Training rotations. He was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2014 and was awarded the Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in General Surgery in 2015.
He has consolidated his surgical and laparoscopic experience in the treatment of gastrointestinal disease during training at King’s College Hospital, Medway Hospital and Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospitals. He undertook a one-year Post-CCT Fellowship (RSO) at St Mark’s Hospital in 2016, further expanding his experience and skills in the treatment of colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, pelvic floor diseases, intestinal failure and complex abdominal surgery. He was the ACPGBI Travelling Fellow at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, USA, in 2015. He is accredited by JAG for diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy.
His academic qualifications also include a Master of Science Degree in Perioperative Care (Cardiff University, 2006) and a Master of Surgery in Coloproctology (University of East Anglia, 2016). He was admitted as a Fellow of the European Board of Coloproctology after succeeding in the EBSQ examinations in 2017. He has published extensively in peer-review journals, textbooks and has presented many papers in international conferences.
He is a keen trainer and holds the role of College Tutor on behalf of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
His NHS practice is based at King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - Princess Royal University Hospital site in Orpington. Mr Efthymios Ypsilantis sees private patients at HCA London Bridge Hospital at The Shard, at BMI The Sloane Hospital in Beckenham, BMI Chelsfield Park Hospital in Orpington and at BMI The Blackheath Hospital in Blackheath.
Areas of interest
bowel cancer; inflammatory bowel disease; endoscopy (OGD, colonoscopy), diseases of anus and rectum; haemorrhoids; anal fissure; anal fistula; ileostomy; colostomy; hernia; laparoscopy; key hole surgery; general surgery procedures
- HCA London Bridge Hospital Appointments & Enquirie
- The Out-Patient & Diagnostic Centre The Shard St. Thomas Street London SE1 9BS
- 020 3993 8597
- Lauren Shelton
- 193 Bourne Vale Bromley BR2 7LX
- 020 8325 3623
- 07999 353027
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Laparoscopic Colorectal and General Surgeon, Princess Royal University Hospital, King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Farnborough Common, Orpington, Kent, BR6 8ND
Enhanced Recovery After Surgery
Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland Travelling Felowship (ACPGBI) 2015. Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Native or bilingual
- Succeeding in the MRCS Part B Exam: Essential revision notes for the OSCE format
by Nikhil Pawa & Efthymios Ypsilantis
- Nonhealing surgical wound due to cutaneous malakoplakia. Alwan W, Rickaby W, Jullie ML, Green M, Ypsilantis E, Warbey V, George M, Whittaker S. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2017 Jan;42(1):123-125.
- Endoscopic management of iatrogenic perforations during endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) and endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for colorectal polyps: a case series. Pissas D, Ypsilantis E, Papagrigoriadis S, Hayee B, Haji A. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2015 Jul;8(4):176-81.
- The use of topical 10% metronidazole in the treatment of non-healing pilonidal sinus wounds after surgery. Ypsilantis E, Carapeti E, Chan S.
Int J Colorectal Dis. 2016 Mar;31(3):765-7.
- Use of confocal laser endomicroscopy to assess the adequacy of endoscopic treatment of gastrointestinal neoplasia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ypsilantis E, Pissas D, Papagrigoriadis S, Haji A.Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2015 Feb;25(1):1-5.
- Importance of specimen length during temporal artery biopsy. Ypsilantis E, Courtney ED, Chopra N, Karthikesalingam A, Eltayab M, Katsoulas N, Tang TY, Ball RY. Br J Surg. 2011 Nov;98(11):1556-60.
- Intraoperative PTH Assay during Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy May Be Helpful in the Detection of Double Adenomas and May Minimise the Risk of Recurrent Surgery. Ypsilantis E, Charfare H, Wassif WS. Int J Endocrinol. 2010;2010:178671.
- Pre-emptive analgesia for chronic limb pain after amputation for peripheral vascular disease: a systematic review. Ypsilantis E, Tang TY. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010 Nov;24(8):1139-46.
- Involvement of the genicular branches in cystic adventitial disease of the popliteal artery as a possible marker of unfavourable early clinical outcome: a case report. Ypsilantis EA, Tisi PV.
J Med Case Rep. 2010 Mar 18;4:91.
- Current status of fast-track recovery pathways in pancreatic surgery. Ypsilantis E, Praseedom RK. JOP. 2009
- Soluble CD30 levels in recipients undergoing heart transplantation do not predict post-transplant outcome. Ypsilantis E, Key T, Bradley JA, Morgan CH, Tsui S, Parameshwar J, Taylor CJ. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2009
- Increase in annual number of pancreatic head resections does not affect mortality of pancreatic cancer in the United Kingdom. Ypsilantis E, Courtney ED, Warren H. JOP. 2009
- Inguinal hernia repair--trends in litigation. Pawa N, Ypsilantis E. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2009
- MSc in Perioperative Care and Advanced Surgical Practice Cardiff University 2010
- Master of Surgery in Coloproctology University of East Anglia 2016
- MPhil in Medical Sciences (Surgery) Cambridge University 2008
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Royal College of Surgeons of England 2014
- Fellow of the European Board of Surgery (Coloproctology) European Society of Coloproctology 2017
- US Medical Licensing Examinations ECFMG 2002
- Ptychion Iatrikes (MBBS) National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Medical School 1999
- Post-CCT Fellowship (RSO) Bowel cancer, Pelvic floor, Intestinal Failure St Mark's Hospital and Academic Institute 2016
Reference number 6065502
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Training in General Surgery, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Royal Society of Medicine
Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
European Society of Coloproctology
British Medical Association
Medical Defence Unit
- BMI Blackheath Hospital, 40-42 Lee Terrace...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 020 8318 7722
- BMI Chelsfield Park Hospital Bucks Cross Road,...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01689 768033
- BMI The Sloane Hospital, 125 Albemarle Road...
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 020 8466 4000
- The Shard, 32 St Thomas St, London SE1 9BS
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 020 3993 8597
Post treatment communication
PA Lauren Shelton: 02083253623
BMI Chelsfield Park Hospital: 01689877855
BMI The Sloane: 020 8466 4000
BMI The Blackheath: 020 8318 7722
HCA London Bridge Hospital: 02039938597