- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 16 Apr 2020
Mr Kempshall is a specialist consultant orthopaedic knee surgeon. His consulting rooms are located in both Cheltenham and Gloucester in the private hospitals where he practices as a senior member of the renowned Gloucestershire Knee Clinic (GKC).
He s a is an expert in arthroscopic (Keyhole) ligament reconstructive surgery particularly the anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACL) and also meniscus repair. He is a member of the Faculty of sports and exercise medicine and holds a Diploma in sports injuries.
He is a specialist at treating knee arthritis in its early and end stages. He offers partial replacement (half knee) and total knee replacement as well as complex and revision (redo) knee replacement surgery. He has written a number of articles on ‘Partial knee replacement as a day case’ .
He is experienced in trauma, knee trauma and multi-ligament reconstruction. He believes in using technology to improve safety and performs computer guided osteotomy.
He is married with two young children. His NHS practice serves the people of Gloucestershire.
Areas of interest
Knee Sports injuries; Knee Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction; Knee Meniscal repair; Knee Meniscectomy; Knee Arthroscopic surgery; Knee Patella (recurrent) dislocation surgery; Knee Chondral (surface) regeneration; Knee chondral (cartilage) resurfacing; Knee posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction; Knee Medial colateral ligament repair/ reconstruction; Knee Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in children;
Disease modifying in young adult; Computer guided knee tibial osteotomy; Knee femoral osteotomy; Knee Meniscal transplant;
Arthroplasty; Knee (Partial) replacement (Daycase); Knee (Total) replacement; Patient specific (bespoke) knee replacement; Complex knee replacement; Revision knee replacement;
- Harriet and Lucy at GKC
- Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital Hatherley Lane Cheltenham GL51 6SY
- 01242 246519
- Julie Wood
- Winfield Hospital Tewkesbury Road Longford Gloucester GL2 9WH
- 01452 337276
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Belinda Pryle Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon
Cheltenham General - Elective orthopaedic unit
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital - Trauma Unit
Both parts of Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS FT
Employed 2014 - Present
Partial Knee Replacement (Daycase) - Mr Kempshall is pioneering daycase (home the same day) partial knee replacement.
Patient specific osteotomy - Mr Kempshall leads in the region on computer guided osteotomy to slow arthritis progression.
Resurfacing total knee replacement - Mr Kempshall is a leading surgeon in the use of the latest design of knee replacement.
Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction - From previous research into ACL reconstruction, Mr Kempshall believes in the preservation and repair of the meniscus.
Peter Kempshall is married to Emma and together they have 2 young children. Emma is also medical and works as a Consultant Haematologist in Cardiff.
Mr Kempshall likes to play golf and swim.
Mr Kempshall has received Awards for clinical excellence for his work on improving the care of hip fracture patients in Gloucestershire Hospitals. He has also been awarded for his work developing a daycase partial knee replacement pathway.
He won the presidential medial from the Welsh Orthopaedic Surgeons Society for research into total knee replacements.
• Outcome of meniscal allograft transplantation related to articular cartilage status: advanced chondral damage should not be a contraindication. Kempshall PJ, Parkinson B, Spalding T. Knee surgery and sports traumatology. Accepted for publication Jan 2015.
• Meniscal integrity predicts laxity of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Robb C, Kempshall P, Getgood A, Standell H, Sprowson A, Thompson P, Spalding T, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2015; 23(12): 3683-90.
• The Cardiff Arthroplasty Satisfaction Index (CASI). A simple tool for the assessment of outcome following knee arthroplasty. Kempshall PJ, Hickey B, Metcalfe AJ. Journal of Arthroplasty 28 (2013) 580-584.
• Review of Kinemax Knee Arthroplasty Performed at NHS Treatment Centre Weston Super-Mare. Kempshall P, Metcalfe A, Forster MC Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (JBJS) British Volume 2009 91-B;229-33.
• Revision total knee arthroplasty: Complications. Mini-symposium Knee Arthroplasty. Kempshall PJ, Sharma H, Morgan-Jones R. Orthopaedics and Trauma 2012; 26:2, 95-111.
Courses offered to GPs
Partial knee replacement - Daycase treatment
Knee pathology: Update on latest treatments
Knee injection techniques
Arthritis modification surgery using computer guided osteotomy
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.njrsurgeonhospitalprofile.org.uk/SurgeonProfile?gmccode=6031173
Patient experience reviews are available at Doctify.com
- FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedic Royal College of Surgeons of England 2011
- Post Graduate Diploma Sports and Exercise Medicine UWIC Cardiff 2009
- MB BCh UWCM Cardiff 2001
- Advanced Surgical Fellowship in Sports Injury Surgery and Ligament Reconstruction University Hospitals Coventry Warwickshire 2012
- Advanced Surgical Fellowship in Primary Revision and Uni-condylar Arthroplasty (Replacement) North Bristol NHS Trust 2013
- Advanced Surgical Fellowship in Trauma Surgery North Bristol NHS Trust 2013
Reference number 6031173
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
British Association Surgery of the Knee
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Orthopaedic Trauma Society
Member of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine.
- Nuffield Health Cheltenham HospitalHatherley...
- 08:30 - 13:30
- 01242 246519
- Winfield HospitalTewkesbury...
- 08:30 - 13:30
- 01452 337276
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details