- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cardiac CT/MRI
- General cardiology
I`ve been working at the Department of Cardiology of the Milton Keynes University Hospital where I was appointed as a Consultant Cardiologist in Imaging in 2012. I created the HCM Specialty Services at our Department and became the Clinical Lead in Cardiomyopathies in 2018.
I graduated at the University of Szeged, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Medical School in 1987 with "best marks" and achieved MD degree (research) in the same year. I gained Specialist Registration in General (Internal) Medicine in 1993 and in Cardiology in 1997. I received an MSc degree acknowledged by the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam, the Netherlands in 1998. After being a Staff Grade Cardiologist at the Milton Keynes General Hospital in 2008, I had worked at the Glenfield Hospital in Leicester as an Specialist Registrar in 2009-2010, where I also achieved accreditation by the British Society of Echocardiography in Transthoracic Echocardiogrphy in 2010, in 3D-Echo Techniques at the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Birmingham in 21012 and in Transoesophageal Echocardiography in 2015 at the Leeds Royal Infirmary.
I had SpR role at the Acute Pennine Hospitals in North Manchaster and stepped up to Consultant Cardiologist first at the Colchester General and then at the Epsom and St. Helier Hospitals in Carshalton between 2009 and 2012.
I`ve received a Fellowship in Cardiac Transplantation and Mechanical Cardiovascular Support at the Transplantation Unit of the Harefield Hospital in London in 2013.
I started my private practice in February 2018 and looking after Outpatients with all spectrum of cardiac diseases at the BMI Saxon Clinic in Milton Keynes, where I`m able to perform both diagnostic and laboratory assessments and can establish appropriate treatment strategies for all my patients, providing advanced, further diagnostic and therapeutic options at either at the Milton Keynes University Hospital or at tertiary centers either in Oxford (John Radcliffe Hospital) or in London (Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospital), if indicated upon the clinical status.
Areas of interest
I`ve been the Clinical Lead in Cardiomyopathies and Heart Failure at the Milton Keynes University Hospital, also representing our patients with Heart Muscle Conditions at the Cardiomyopathy MDT meetings at the Harefield Hospital in London;
My interests also entail Advanced Imaging techniques, eg. 3D- and 2D-Speckle Tracking Echocardiographic Analysis, Coronary CT Angiograms;
I`ve been performing Transoesophageal Echocardiograms with local anaesthetics for increased convenience;
I am able to complete arrhythmia detection through 24-, 48-, 72-hours or via an implanted loop recorder for long-term monitoring as needed.
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Consultant Cardiologist in Imaging, Clinical Lead in Cardiomyopathies, Department of Cardiology, Milton Keynes University Hospital, Standing Way, Eaglestone, Milton Keynes MK6 5LD
2. Clinical Fellow in Cardiac Transplantation and Mechanical Cardiac Support, Transplantation Unit, The Harefield Hospital, Hill End Rd, Harefield, Uxbridge UB9 6JH
Risk assessment in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Advanced Imaging of the Right Ventricle after Cardiac transplantation by Deformation Imaging
Development and validation of a new, "Oedema Imaging" technique in acute Myocarditis.
I`ve been a keen tennis player for more than 38 years and became a regular member of the Stony Stratford Lawn Tennis Club in 2013.
I`m a passionate music enthusiast with also interests into Hi-Fi and High-End music equipments.
Scholarship of the Hungarian Scientific Academy in 1987
MSc at the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam, the Netherlands in 1998.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hungarian - Native or bilingual
- German - Basic
Most recent publications:
1. Halmai L, Atkinson P, Bogle R, Sepp R, Csanády M, Forster T, Varga A.
Evidence for Inhomogenous Myocardial Deformation in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Cardiol Hung (2012) 42(Suppl): A118.
2. Halmai L, Horváth Á, Rudas L, Zöllei É.
Cardiac arrest caused by volatile substance abuse
Hung J Anesth Int Ther (2012) 42(1): 48-51.
3. Halmai L, Farkas T, Kalapos A, Domsik P, Sepp R, Forster T, Nemes A.
Comparison of 3-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography vs. 2-dimensional speckle-tracking analysis in the evaluation of left ventricular deformation in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging (2012) 13(suppl 1):i140-142.
4. Halmai L, Nemes A, Kardos A, Neubauer S.
Can 3D-Speckle Tracking analysis be useful for identifying patients with acute myocarditis? A comparison with cMRI findings.
Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging (2013) 14(suppl 2):ii20-48.
5. Hussain R, Halmai L, Subkovas E.
Unexpected sudden death in a young man with myopericarditis
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. (2015) Jan-Mar;27(1):239-40.
6. Halmai L, Kardos A, Forster T, Nemes A, Banner N, Neubauer S.
Altered Torsion mechanics in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: blame it on the LVOT-obstruction?
European Heart Journal (2015) 36(Suppl):311¬-312.
Current, accepted presentations at the EACVI Congress in Milan, Italy (2018):
1. L. Halmai, S. Kaul, O. Dar, N. Banner, S. Rahman Haley:
Changes of right ventricular deformation behaviour after cardiac transplantation: can it predict functional recovery?
2. L. Halmai, A. Kardos, A. Nemes, T. Forster, S. Neubauer:
The role of Deformation Imaging in family screening of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy – is the Twist the real McCoy?
Courses offered to GPs
I`m doing regular GP Teaching sessions in AF and Heart Failure.
- Medical Diploma University of Szeged Medical School, Hungary 1987
- Specialist in General (Internal) Medicine University of Szeged Medical School, Hungary 1993
- Specialist in Cardiology University of Szeged Medical School, Hungary 1997
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians London 2013
- Accreditation in 3D-Echocardiography Queen Elizabeth II University Hospital 2012
- Accreditation in Transthoracic Echocardiography BSE 2010
- Accreditation in Transoesophageal Echocardiography BSE 2015
Reference number 6132002
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Membership of the RCP RCP UK 2014
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology European Society of Cardiology 2015
- Membership of the BSE British Society of Echocardiography 2008
Details of entry to specialist register
- General (Internal) Medicine, 2013
- Cardiology, 1997
- GMC Specialist Register recognition, 2005
- Fellow of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, 2019
Affiliations / memberships
- FSCCT (Since 2019)
- FESC (since 2016), Member of the Working Groups on Myocardial & Pericardial Diseases, WG on Valvular Heart Disease (since 2013)
- EACVI Silver Membership (since 2010)
- Fellowship in Cardiac Transplantation (The Harefield Hospital, London, since 2013)
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (since 2014)
- Member of the British Society of Echocardiography (since 2009)
- Member of the British Society of Cardiology (since 2013)
- Saxon Street Eaglestone MILTON KEYNESMK6 5LR
- 13:00 - 18:00
- 01908 232142
- Standing Way Eaglestone MILTON KEYNESMK6 5LD
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 01908 996013
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr. Veerendra Rathore, Tel: 07749840228