- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 16 Apr 2020
- Pain medicine
Due to the current Novel Corona virus pandemic, I offer flexible appointments as e-Consultations and perform interventions after carefully risk assessing patients for interventions, in accordance with the guidance provided by the Faculty of Pain Medicine.
I am a consultant in Anaesthesia and Pain Management at St Bartholomew’s and Royal London Hospital. I am the clinical lead for pain management for the Newham MSK collaboration. I am also the Lead for Undergraduate and Postgraduate education in pain management at Barts Health. I also hold a Honorary visiting Senior Lecturer position at the University of Edinburgh and I am a course director for the MSc Pain Management.
I did my MD in Anaesthesia (Medal scholar) at PGIMER, Chandigarh, India, which is one of the premier postgraduate medical education centres in the country. I did my anaesthetic training in the UK at The South East Scotland rotation and I received a Certificate of Specialist Training in Anaesthesia and Pain Management in 2014. I also did an Advanced Pain Fellowship at Imperial Healthcare, London.
I manage patients both in the out-patient setting including multi-disciplinary clinics as well as in the in-patient complex pain ward rounds and regularly perform a variety of interventions.
I have extensive expertise in managing a wide variety of acute pain and chronic pain conditions including back pain, neck pain, whiplash injury, sports injury, post-surgical pain, cancer pain, chronic musculoskeletal (such as Fibromyalgia) and neuropathic pain. I offer a comprehensive patient-centred care during my consultation and arrive at a treatment plan, which is agreeable for the patient. I have excellent intervention skills and I offer a variety of simple and complex minimally invasive pain procedures such as
• Cervical and Lumbar facet joint/ medial branch injections
• Epidural/ root block (all spinal levels including cervical, thoracic and lumbar levels)
• Radiofrequency treatment to medial branch/ nerve roots (all spinal levels) or peripheral nerves,
• Complex pain interventions such as splanchnic nerve block
• 8% Capsaicin (Qutenza) application
• Ultrasound guided interventions (both anaesthetic nerve blocks and complex pain interventions including MSK interventions) including ostenil (hyaluronate) injections into joints
• Neuromodulation (including spinal cord stimulation, peripheral neurostimulation including peripheral electrical nerve stimulation).
• Regenerative medicine including PRP injections
• Advanced Laser therapy such as percutaneous Laser discectomy
I have wide expertise in performing interventions both under X-ray imaging as well as under ultrasound.
My anaesthetic practice involves a wide variety of general and orthopaedic anaesthetic list with particular expertise in ultrasound guided nerve blocks including inserting nerve catheters
Areas of interest
Chronic pain management- cancer pain- simple and complex X ray and ultrasound guided interventions- neuromodulation- regenerative medicine-advanced treatment such as laser ablation- anaesthetics- regional anaesthesia-
Current NHS consultant posts held
Bart's Health NHS Trust
St Bartholomew's Hospital
Royal London Hospital
Newham MSK Service: Clinical Lead
Phenotypic profiling of patients with chronic pain interventions including neuromodulation.
I enjoy watching and playing cricket. In my spare I play for my local cricket club.
• ‘Top abstract’ award at NANS conference, Las Vegas (2017): ‘Sensory profile as a biomarker for phenotyping patients undergoing Spinal Cord Stimulation’
• Nomination for ‘Barts Health Hero’ award for 'commitment and passion for change and improvement and being 'extremely approachable’ (Jan 2016).
• Silver medal (highest departmental academic award) for my MD at PGIMER, Chandigarh, India (July 2005)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Tamil - Fluent
• Mehta V, Bouchareb Y, Ramaswamy S et al. Metabolic Imaging of Pain Matrix Using 18F Fluoro-deoxyglucose (FDG) PET/CT for Patients Undergoing L2 Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulation for Low Back Pain. Neuromodulation.
• May JM, Phillips JP, Fitchat T, Ramaswamy S et al. A Novel Photoplethysmography Sensor for vital signs monitoring from the human trachea. Biosensors 2019 Oct 2;9(4)
• Ramaswamy S et al. Characterizing the Somatosensory Profile of Patients With Failed Back Surgery Syndrome With Unilateral Lumbar Radiculopathy Undergoing Spinal Cord Stimulation: A Single Center Prospective Pilot Study. Neuromodulation. 2018 Oct 10
• New Therapy for Refractory Chronic Mechanical Low Back Pain-Restorative Neurostimulation to Activate the Lumbar Multifidus: One Year Results of a Prospective Multicenter Clinical Trial. Neuromodulation. 2018 Jan;21(1):48-55 (Co-author)
• Ramaswamy S et al. Patients in Pain. Hutchison’s clinical methods 24th edition. This is currently in press.
• Ramaswamy S et al. Antinociceptive and immunosuppressive effect of opioids in an acute postoperative setting: an evidence based review. BJA Educ;2017;17(3):105-10
• Ramaswamy S et al. Peripheral and central sensitization in patients undergoing spinal cord stimulator insertion for chronic neuropathic back and leg pain. Neuromodulation 2015; 18: 107-399
• Wodehouse T, Bahra A, Ramaswamy S et al. Peripheral and central sensitization in patients undergoing occipital nerve stimulator insertion for intractable migraine. Neuromodulation
• Alamgir A, Casey L, Ward S, Van Gronigan R, Ramaswamy S, Ellamushi H, Nikolic S, Mehta A. A prospective evaluation of psychological response to SCS therapy in patients with intractable neuropathic pain. Neuromodulation 2015
• Ramaswamy S et al. Tapentadol- the evidence so far. Anaesthesia 2015 (Editorial)
• Ramaswamy S et al. Two stuck epidural catheters. Anaesthesia 2013
• Ramaswamy S et al. Non-opioid-based adjuvant analgesia in perioperative care. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2013
• Bhukal I, Solanki SL, Ramaswamy S, Yaddanapudi LN, Jain A and Kumar P. Perioperative predictors of morbidity and mortality following cardiac surgery under cardiopulmonary bypass. Saudi J Anaesth 2012.
• Ramaswamy S et al. ‘National survey on the current practices of sedation and analgesia in intensive care in UK’- Critical Care Medicine, Dec 2006.
• Ramaswamy S et al. Endosulfan poisoning with intravascular hemolysis. J Emerg Med. 2008.
Courses offered to GPs
Education is my passion and I am the Lead for Education for pain management for Barts Health. I am frequently invited to speak in national and international conferences/ meetings and I teach in various courses including pain intervention courses. I also give frequent talks to the GP's and I also give some pharmaceutical industry sponsored talks.
- MBBS Madras Medical College, India 2001
- MD Anaesthesia PGIMER, Chandigarh, India 2005
- FRCA Royal College of Anaesthetist, London 2010
- FFPMRCA Faculty of Pain Medicine, Royal College of Anaesthetist, London 2013
- European Diploma in Regional Anaesthesia ESRA 2013
- Certification in Clinical Research Newcastle University 2017
- Advanced Pain Fellowship Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust 2013
Reference number 6048010
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Honorary Visiting Senior Lecturer University of Edinburgh 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Register for Anaesthetics and pain management, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
British Pain Society
International Association for Study of Pain
Faculty of Pain Medicine
Royal College of Anaesthetist
British Medical Association
- BMI London Independent Hospital
- 08:00 - 12:30
- 020 3862 3990
- BMI Sloane Hospital, 125 Albemarle...
- 14:30 - 20:00
- 020 3862 3990
- Harley Street Specialist Hospital, Queen Anne...
- 16:00 - 20:00
- 020 3862 3990
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
0203 862 3990