- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 15 Apr 2020
Dr Carla Perna qualified in 2009 in Italy, she trained as Radiation Oncologist and spent 2 years doing research in pelvic radiotherapy at the University College of London Hospital. She has been appointed as Consultant Clinical Oncologist at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford, and Frimley Park Hospital in Camberley. She specialises in urological cancers with a particular interest in prostate and testicular cancers.
With her team, she performs 400 prostate brachytherapy cases a year using both Low- dose-rate and High-dose-rate technique.
Carla is heavily involved in research, having been the Principal Investigator for most of the urological trials, including those using the newest radiotherapy techniques with hypo fractionation and stereotactic radiotherapy using MRI Linac and SpaceOAR, systemic treatment including immunotherapy for prostate cancer and Theranostic (Lutetium PSMA for metastatic prostate cancer).
Areas of interest
Prostate cancer; Testicular cancer; Urology; Uro-Oncology; Chemotherapy; Radiotherapy; Brachytherapy; Metastatic prostate cancer; Theranostics; PSMA Lutetium; Hypo-fractionation radiotherapy; Stereotactic radiotherapy; MRI Linac; HDR Brachytherapy; LDR Brachytherapy; SpaceOAR; Immunotherapy; Systemic treatments.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Clinical Oncologist at The Royal Surrey County Hospital and Frimley Park NHS Trust
Hypo-fractionation in radiotherapy, MRI Linac.
Use of SpaceOAR in radiotherapy and brachytherapy.
Systemic treatments including immunotherapy
Theranostics - Lutetium PSMA for metastatic prostate cancer
Carla enjoys sport, including tennis. She also enjoy music, plays the violin and guitar and sings in a gospel choir.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Italian - Native or bilingual
• Perna C., Williamson C., Khaksar S. A bowel pathway for patient undergoing radiotherapy for prostate cancer. ESTRO38.2019
• Laing R, Uribe J, Uribe-Lewis S, Money-Kyrle J, Perna C, Chintzoglou S, Khaksar S, Langley SEM. Low-dose-rate brachytherapy for the treatment of localised prostate cancer in men with a high risk of disease relapse. BJU Int. 2018 Oct;122(4):610-617
• S.E.M. Langley, J. Uribe, S. Uribe-Lewis, J. Money-Kyrle, C. Perna, S. Khaksar, R. Soares, R. Laing. Comparative analysis of clinical outcomes and procedural costs between conventional two-stage technique and 4D Brachytherapy for early prostate cancer. Clinical Oncology (2017) 1-8
• Langley SEM, Soares R, Uribe J, Uribe-Lewis S, Money-Kyrle J, Perna C, Khaksar S, Laing R. Long-term oncological outcomes and toxicity in 597 men aged ≤60 years at time of low-dose-rate brachytherapy for localised prostate cancer. BJU Int. July 3, 2017
• Ricardo Soares, MD, FEBU, Carla Perna, MD, Santiago Uribe-Lewis, PhD, Jennifer Uribe, MD, Stephen Langley, MBBS, MS, FRCS (Urol). Brachytherapy for prostate cancer, Surgical procedure for core urology trainees, edited by Sanchia Goonewardene and Prof Raj Persad. Springer October 30, 2017
• Eminowicz G, Motlib J, Khan S, Perna C, McCormack M. Pelvic Organ Motion during Radiotherapy for Cervical Cancer: Understanding Patterns and Recommended Patient Preparation. Clinical Oncology (2016) Sep;28(9): e85-91
• Eminowicz G, Motlib J, Khan S, Perna C, McCormack M. Pelvic organ motion during radiotherapy for cervical cancer and impact on target coverage. Presented at ESTRO35, Turin. (April-May 2016)
• Perna C, Eminowicz G, Asghar U, Imseeh G, Kirkwood A, Mitra A, Arora R, Kristeleit RS, McCormack M. Uterine carcinosarcoma: a retrospective clinical cohort analysis. Annals of Oncology 2016;27(6):296-312. Presented at ESMO 2016 Congress, Copenhagen
Reference number 7468952
Affiliations / memberships
The Royal College of radiologist
British Medical Association
- Stirling RoadSurrey Research ParkGUILDFORDGU2 7RF
- 14:00 - 19:00
- 01483 806004
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.