- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Damian Clark is a consultant orthopaedic knee & trauma surgeon.
He performs knee surgery including ligament reconstructions, knee replacement surgery (partial and total replacements), arthroscopy, osteotomies and patellofemoral surgery.
Damian brings a modern approach to sports injuries with experience gained from fellowships in Australia and Canada. He worked with several professional sports teams during his training in both North America and in Australia. He has worked with American Footballers, Australian rugby players, UK Strongmen and countless others. He brings that modern approach to every case.
Having attended secondary school in Bristol and then medical school at Kings College London, he completed further training with the University of Swansea and the University of Bristol. He undertook specialist training at the Severn Deanery training programme. He was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons and the European Fellowship in 2013.
Damian completed fellowships in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. He was fortunate enough to be the most highly awarded fellow in his Canadian cohort receiving two fellowship prizes in that year for best surgeon's research.
Although Damian undertakes this surgery on a regular basis he appreciates that this is not a routine experience for you. He will do his utmost to answer all your questions.
Areas of interest
Knee Surgery; Knee pain; Locked knee; Cartilage tears; ACL; Cruciate ligament; ligament injuries; Knee injuries; knee cap dislocations; Joint pain; unstable knee; Trauma Surgery; Sports Injury Reconstructions; Patello-femoral joint surgery; Knee replacement; Partial Knee Replacement; knee instability; knee stiffness; knee swelling; keyhole surgery; arthroscopy; sport knee injury
- Carol Gibb
- Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital The Chesterfield 3 Clifton Hill Bristol BS8 1BN
- 0117 980 4037
- Carol Gibb
- Spire Bristol Hospital Redland Hill Redland Bristol BS6 6UT
- 0117 980 4037
- 0117 980 4021
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Simon Lewis Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (Southmead Hospital Bristol).
Specialist Advisor (Care Quality Commission)
“Norman Schachar Research Award”. 1st place, University of Calgary. 2017.
“Norman Schachar Research Award”. 3rd place, University of Calgary. 2017.
BASK (British Association of Surgery of the Knee) essay prize. 2016.
Presentation prize- Severn Deanery registrar’s presentation day. 2012.
‘Above and Beyond Charity’ research prize. Patellar Arthroplasty research. 2009.
‘Best F1 teacher’ nominee. Foundation programme director, BRI. 2008.
Swansea University. MSc Trauma surgery acade
A selection included below:
10. Barnett AJ, Howells NR, Burston BJ, Ansari A, Clark D, Eldridge JD. Radiographic landmarks for tunnel placement in reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012 Jan. PMID: 22246545. Impact factor 3.05.
11. Clark D, Mandalia V, Hughes A, Mitchell S, Bhattacharjee A, Eldridge J. Patella tendon length after patella arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012 Feb;132(2):179-83. Epub 2011 Nov 1. PMID: 22042087. Impact factor 1.80.
13. Gardner R, Yousri T, Holmes F, Clark D, Pollintine P, Miles AW, Jackson M. Stabilisation of the syndesmosis in the Maisonneuve fracture- A biomechanical study comparing two-hole locking plate and quadricortical screw fixation. Orthop Trauma. 2012 May 10. PMID: 22576647 Impact factor 1.80.
14. Clark D, Uphadyay N, Gillespie G, Wakeley C, Eldridge J. The correct rotation of the femoral component in patellofemoral replacement: a simple and precise technique. JBJS (Br) Dec 2012 PMID: 23188904. Impact factor 3.31
17. McCann PA, Smith GC, Clark D, Amirfeyz R. The tricipital aponeurosis - a reliable soft tissue landmark for humeral plating. Hand Surg. 2015;20(1):53-8. PMID: 25609275.
18. Hughes A, Clark D, Carlino W, Gosling O, Spencer RF. Capsule repair may reduce dislocation following hip hemi-arthroplasty through a direct lateral approach. BJJ. Jan 2015. PMID: 25568428. Impact factor 1.96.
19. Metcalfe A, Clark D, Kemp M, Eldridge J. The Bristol Experience of the Bereiter Trochleoplasty: Indications and Technique. Op Tech Spor Med. Vol 23, (2), 2015;123–128. Impact factor 0.2
20. Clark D, Simpson D, Eldridge J, Colborne B. Patellar instability and quadriceps avoidance affects walking knee moments. The knee. Knee. 2016 Jan;23(1):78-84. Impact factor: 1.94
21. Conchie H, Clark D, Metcalfe A, Eldridge J, Whitehouse M. Adolescent knee pain and patellar dislocations are associated with patellofemoral osteoarthritis in adulthood: A case control study. Knee. 2016 Aug;23(4):708-11
22. Clark D, Metcalfe A, Mandalia V, Wogan, C, Eldridge J. Current Concepts Review: Adolescent Patella Instability. Challenges and Management Options. BJJ. Accepted, in press.
23. Clark D, Walmsley K, Schranz P, Mandalia V. Tibia Tuberosity transfer in Combination with Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction. Surgical Technique. Arthroscopy. Arthroscopy.
- Master in Trauma Surgery University of Swansea 2012
- Medical and Surgical Bachelors King's College London 2003
- Fellow of the Royal College of Suergeons Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- Fellow of the European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2012
- ATLS Provider. Resuscitation Council 2015
Reference number 6088952
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Specialist Advisor Care Quality Commission (CQC) 2016
- Orthopaedic Trainee Tutor Severn Deanery & Southmead Hospital 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training, 2016
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons
- Chesterfield, Nuffield Health, 3 Clifton...
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 0117 980 4037
- The Spire, Redland Hil, lDurdham Down, BRISTOL,...
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 0117 980 4037
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.