- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a Consultant Orthopaedic Knee and Trauma Surgeon working in Bristol.
Having attended secondary school in Bristol and then medical school at Kings College London, I completed postgraduate training with the University of Swansea and the University of Bristol. I undertook specialist training at the Severn Deanery training programme. I was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons the European Fellowship exam in 2013.
I have been the beneficiary of some of the best surgeon training programmes in the world including fellowships in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. I was fortunate enough to be the most highly awarded fellow of his Canadian cohort receiving two fellowship prizes for best surgeon research. I am fully registered, having been awarded the Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training and is listed in the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council. I now trains new surgeons in the NHS.
Scope of practice:
I work with patients in the NHS and the private sector and regularly care for soft tissue and bone injury, sporting injuries and chronic disease. I performs surgery for various knee ligament injuries, including ACL rupture. I treat meniscal injuries, the knee's shock absorber, with repairs or partial excisions where required.
When damage to the joint surface is irreparable we can choose to undertake knee replacement surgery. This including total and partial knee replacements. It is important to use implants that are the most reliable, those that are followed by the national joint registry. I am very interested in enhanced recovery after surgery and have been developing the use of day case arthroplasty surgery for patients who are interested. We have been working with App developers to deliver an app that supports the patients experience of surgery.
Knee problems are very common, around 45% of the population will develop knee arthritis in their lifetime and more than 10% will undergo knee replacement. Although we undertake this surgery on a regular basis I appreciates that this is not a routine experience for you and will do the utmost to answer all of your questions.
Areas of interest
Knee Surgery; Trauma Surgery; Sports Injury Reconstructions; Patello-femoral joint surgery; Knee replacement; Partial Knee Replacement.
- Carol Gibb
- Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital The Chesterfield 3 Clifton Hill Bristol BS8 1BN
- 0117 980 4037
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (Southmead Hospital Bristol).
Specialist Advisor (Care Quality Commission)
“Norman Schachar Research Award”. 1st place, University of Calgary. 2017.
“Norman Schachar Research Award”. 3rd place, University of Calgary. 2017.
BASK (British Association of Surgery of the Knee) essay prize. 2016.
Presentation prize- Severn Deanery registrar’s presentation day. 2012.
‘Above and Beyond Charity’ research prize. Patellar Arthroplasty research. 2009.
‘Best F1 teacher’ nominee. Foundation programme director, BRI. 2008.
Swansea University. MSc Trauma surgery acade
A selection included below:
10. Barnett AJ, Howells NR, Burston BJ, Ansari A, Clark D, Eldridge JD. Radiographic landmarks for tunnel placement in reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012 Jan. PMID: 22246545. Impact factor 3.05.
11. Clark D, Mandalia V, Hughes A, Mitchell S, Bhattacharjee A, Eldridge J. Patella tendon length after patella arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012 Feb;132(2):179-83. Epub 2011 Nov 1. PMID: 22042087. Impact factor 1.80.
13. Gardner R, Yousri T, Holmes F, Clark D, Pollintine P, Miles AW, Jackson M. Stabilisation of the syndesmosis in the Maisonneuve fracture- A biomechanical study comparing two-hole locking plate and quadricortical screw fixation. Orthop Trauma. 2012 May 10. PMID: 22576647 Impact factor 1.80.
14. Clark D, Uphadyay N, Gillespie G, Wakeley C, Eldridge J. The correct rotation of the femoral component in patellofemoral replacement: a simple and precise technique. JBJS (Br) Dec 2012 PMID: 23188904. Impact factor 3.31
17. McCann PA, Smith GC, Clark D, Amirfeyz R. The tricipital aponeurosis - a reliable soft tissue landmark for humeral plating. Hand Surg. 2015;20(1):53-8. PMID: 25609275.
18. Hughes A, Clark D, Carlino W, Gosling O, Spencer RF. Capsule repair may reduce dislocation following hip hemi-arthroplasty through a direct lateral approach. BJJ. Jan 2015. PMID: 25568428. Impact factor 1.96.
19. Metcalfe A, Clark D, Kemp M, Eldridge J. The Bristol Experience of the Bereiter Trochleoplasty: Indications and Technique. Op Tech Spor Med. Vol 23, (2), 2015;123–128. Impact factor 0.2
20. Clark D, Simpson D, Eldridge J, Colborne B. Patellar instability and quadriceps avoidance affects walking knee moments. The knee. Knee. 2016 Jan;23(1):78-84. Impact factor: 1.94
21. Conchie H, Clark D, Metcalfe A, Eldridge J, Whitehouse M. Adolescent knee pain and patellar dislocations are associated with patellofemoral osteoarthritis in adulthood: A case control study. Knee. 2016 Aug;23(4):708-11
22. Clark D, Metcalfe A, Mandalia V, Wogan, C, Eldridge J. Current Concepts Review: Adolescent Patella Instability. Challenges and Management Options. BJJ. Accepted, in press.
23. Clark D, Walmsley K, Schranz P, Mandalia V. Tibia Tuberosity transfer in Combination with Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction. Surgical Technique. Arthroscopy. Arthroscopy.
- Master in Trauma Surgery University of Swansea 2012
- Medical and Surgical Bachelors King's College London 2003
- Fellow of the Royal College of Suergeons Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- Fellow of the European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2012
- ATLS Provider. Resuscitation Council 2015
Reference number 6088952
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Specialist Advisor Care Quality Commission (CQC) 2016
- Orthopaedic Trainee Tutor Severn Deanery & Southmead Hospital 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training, 2016
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.