- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
My name is Norman Briffa and I am a Consultant Cardiac Surgeon based in the city of Sheffield in Yorkshire England and Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Sheffield. I have been a cardiac surgeon for more than 20 years and I have carried out thousands of heart operations. My specialist areas are Heart Valve Surgery, coronary bypass surgery and surgery for Atrial Fibrillation. I also specialise in the long term heart management of patients who have undergone heart surgery.
I will only operate on a patient when I know it is safe to do so and when I know that the surgery will prolong the patient's life and/or improve their quality of life.
Areas of interest
Minimally invasive aortic valve repalcement surgery;
Mitral valve repair surgery;
Off pump coronary artery bypass surgery;
Surgery for atrial fibrillation
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiac Surgeon
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS trust
Northern General Hospital, Sheffield
Heart Valve Surgery
Patient related Outcomes in Heart Surgery
Clinical Research in Cardiac Surgery
1. Ethicon Foundation Fund of The Royal College of Surgeons Of England. 1994
2. St. Jude Travel Scholarship of The Society Of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Great Britain And Ireland 1995
3. Sandoz Study Grant 1995 of The European Society For Organ Transplantation.
4. Ionescu Travelling Scholarship of the Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery of Great Britain and Ireland. 2010
(Additional) Languages spoken
Vohra HA, Goldsmith IR, Rosin MD, Briffa NP, Patel RL. The predictors and outcome of recidivism in cardiac ICUs. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2005;27(3):508-11.
Briffa N. Off pump coronary artery bypass: a passing fad or ready for prime time? Eur Heart J 2008;29(11):1346-9.
Taggart DP, Altman DG, Gray AM, Lees B, Nugara F, Yu LM, et al. Randomized trial to compare bilateral vs. single internal mammary coronary artery bypass grafting: 1-year results of the Arterial Revascularisation Trial (ART). Eur Heart J 2010;31(20):2470-81.
Briffa N. Surgery for degenerative mitral valve disease. Bmj 2011;341:c5339.
Owers CE, Vaughan P, Braidley PC, Wilkinson GA, Locke TJ, Cooper GJ, et al. Atrial myxomas: a single unit's experience in the modern era. Heart Surg Forum 2011;14(2):E105-9.
Courses offered to GPs
Heart Valve Disease and Its Management
History of Heart Surgery
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://scts.org/modules/surgeons/surgeon.aspx?id=117
Mortality Rates (Survival Rates)
Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery 0.5% (99.5%)
Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery 0% (100%)
Mitral Valve Repair 0% (100%)
Readmission Rates (Private Patients) - 0%
Wound Infection rates (Private Patients) - 0%
Patients Satisfaction - 100%
- MB ChB University of Sheffield 1983
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 1988
- FRCS(CTh) Intercollegiate Board for Surgical Specialties 1998
- MD University of Sheffield 2006
- Heart Transplantation Papworth Hospital, Cambridge 1992
- Transplantation Immunology Research Stanford university, California, US 1996
Reference number 2805300
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Honorary Senior Lecturer University of Sheffield 2005
- Treasurer British Heart valve Society 2012
- Editorial Advisor BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2003
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, 1998
Affiliations / memberships
Society for cardiothoracic Surgery of GB and Ireland
European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
British Medical Association
- BMI Thornbury Hospital, S10 3BR
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 07031 891762
- Claremont Hospital, S10 5UB
- 18:30 - 20:30
- 07031 891762
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.