- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Optegra Eye Hospital Manchester .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Refractive surgery
Mr Tim de Klerk is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon and Clinical Lead for Cataract Services at Manchester Royal Hospital. He has more than a decade worth of experience working in ophthalmology and the scope of his private practice closely mirrors the work he does for the NHS.
His regular clinical sessions cover cataract surgery and general ophthalmology which encompasses non-surgical interventions for the most common eye diseases affecting adults, including glaucoma, dry eye and dry macular degeneration. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (London) and an active member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons. He has been a speaker at ophthalmic scientific meetings in the United States, Europe and Australia and has numerous peer-reviewed scientific publications.
Surgically, Mr de Klerk’s main area of expertise is cataract removal surgery. He is directly responsible for the training of numerous trainee surgeons at any one time from both the UK and abroad. As the Consultant Lead for Cataract Surgery at his NHS Trust he is tasked with dealing with the most complex cataract cases, week in, week out.
As a clinician Mr Tim de Klerk always provides personalised, honest, ethical advice based on the most up to date scientific knowledge available. When surgical treatment is indicated he always aims for perfection and does all that is possible to minimise the inherent risks involved. He considers himself fortunate to work in an area of medicine that can improve people’s lives in such a direct and often dramatic way.
Areas of interest
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital
Surgical training and simulation
Soprano saxophone and folk guitar
Long distance running
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Afrikaans - Native or bilingual
1. Park DY, Walkden A, De Klerk TA. Effect of cataract surgery training on operating room productivity: How long trainees take. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2016 Sep;42(9):1297-1301.
2. de Klerk TA, Park DY, Biswas S. Prolonged follow-up period following intravitreal bevacizumab injection for stage 3+ retinopathy of prematurity. Eye (Lond). 2013 Jul 12.
3. de Klerk TA, Park DY, Vishwanath M. Driving After Pupil Dilation and Insurance Claims. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013 Aug;97(8):1082.
4. Patel I, de Klerk TA, Au L. Manchester iStent Study: Early results from a prospective UK case series. Clinical Exp Ophthalmology 2013 Feb 28.
5. Jones NP. Uveitis Second Edition, JP Medical Ltd 2012. I co-authored two case-based discussion subsection entitled: “Occlusive or non-occlusive” and “Classical Diagnosis, difficult management”.
6. de Klerk TA, Chaudry N, Moriarty AP. Enhanced Trabeculectomy in a UK district general hospital setting: is selective use of 5-fluorouracil all that is required? Int Ophthalmol. 2013 Aug;33(4):447-51.
7. de Klerk TA, Sharma V, Arkwright PD, Biswas S. Severe vernal keratoconjunctivitis successfully treated with subcutaneous omalizumab. JAAPOS. 2013 Jun;17(3):305-6.
8. de Klerk TA, Moriarty AP. Comment on Comment on 'Deep sclerectomy with mitomycin C in eyes with failed glaucoma surgery and pseudophakia'. Eye (Lond). 2013 Feb;27(2):281-2.
9. de Klerk TA, Au L. The I-Stent for Treatment of Angle Recession With Raised Intraocular Pressure. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2012 Jul;40(5):527-8.
10. de Klerk TA, Steel DHW. Use of intravitreal bevacizumab in a patient with a Von Hippel Lindau associated retinal haemangioblastoma of the optic nerve head: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 2008, 2:182.
11. de Klerk TA, Habib MS, Bone H, Steel DHW. Asymptomatic Foreign Body Retinal Embolus after Mitral Valve Replacement. Eye News 2006; 13(3):42.
12. de Klerk TA. North of England Ophthalmological Society Summer Meeting – conference summary. Eye News Aug / Sept 2011. (non-academic written piece)
- MBChB University of Pretoria, South Africa 2001
- PGC - Postgraduate Certificate in Wordplace Based Medical Education Edge Hill University 2011
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists (London) 2013
- CertLRS - Certificate in Laser and Refractive Surgery Royal College of Ophthalmologists (London) 2018
Reference number 6044831
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Register for Ophthalmology, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
Member of the UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Member of The European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Member of North of England Ophthalmological Society
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
07766 176 270