- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Spire London East Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
Ms Tahmina Pearsall is the Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Surrey & Sussex Healthcare Trust specialising in complex Glaucoma and Cataracts. She receives her private patients at Spire East London, Spire Gatwick and also at East Surrey hospitals.
Previously she was Lead Glaucoma Consultant at Whipps Cross University Hospital – part of the prestigious Bartshealth Trust. She is UK trained in centres of excellence such as Moorfields Eye Hospital, St Thomas’ and Addenbrooke's (Cambridge) which enables her to provide excellent medical and surgical care across all aspects of Ophthalmology.
Her research and surgical achievements have won many prizes both nationally and internationally and most recently she has been nominated for the “Hospital Heroes” award.
Her surgical experience is vast having performed over 20,000 surgical procedures to date and is involved in training up and coming surgeons.
She has written both review publications and book chapters and lectures physicians in formal Ophthalmology courses, both nationally and internationally and is an examiner for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
Being close to Gatwick she welcomes both local and international patients.
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery; Modern and thorough Glaucoma assessment utilising the latest diagnostic modalities; Comprehensive medical care for Glaucoma; Laser Therapies (SLT) for Glaucoma;Conventional Glaucoma Surgery (Trabeculectomy, Tube Surgery); Modern "Minimally Invasive" Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) – allowing surgical options for disease control earlier than with existing surgery due to the superior safety profile of such procedures; All aspects of emergency eye care; Pterygium removal; Primary care; minor eye operations
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Surrey and Sussex NHS Trust with a special interest in Complex cataract surgery and Glaucoma
Previously was Clinical Effectiveness Lead for Ophthalmology at Whipps Cross University Hospital
Lead Clinician for glaucoma at Whipps Cross University Hospital
Expertise includes bespoke:
• Cataract surgery
• Modern and thorough Glaucoma assessment utilising the latest diagnostic modalities
• Comprehensive medical care for Glaucoma
• Laser Therapies (SLT) for Glaucoma
• Conventional Glaucoma Surgery (Trabeculectomy, Tube Surgery)
• Modern "Minimally Invasive" Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) – allowing surgical options for disease control earlier than with existing surgery due to the superior safety profile of such procedures
• All aspects of emergency eye care
• Pterygium removal
• Primary care
• All minor operations
Outside of work I enjoy time with my husband and three children. I keep fit, dance and am passionate about art.
Bausch & Lomb Prize for Best Presentation 2016
American society of cataract and refractive surgeons Kettering Eye Meeting, Best Presentation 2016
UKISCRS Bausch & Lomb Prize for Best Video 2009
Diploma in refractive surgery, Ulster University with Distinction, 2008
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Bengali - Native or bilingual
- French - Basic
Very low complication rates in cataract surgery - Posterior Capsule Tear rate of 0.2% compared to published rates of around 2%.
Audited results of glaucoma surgical outcomes comparable to peer reviewed published data with over 90% success rate at 1 year.
- MBCHB University of Manchester 1993
- Diploma of Refractive Surgery with Distinction University of Ulster 2008
- MSC Laser Refractive Surgery University of Ulster 2009
- Certificate of Laer Refractive Surgery Royal College of Ophthalmology, London 2018
- EBOD European Board of Ophthalmologist 2014
- FRCSEd Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2001
- MRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmology, London 2008
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmology, London 2015
- Glaucoma Fellowshio 2016-2017 St Thomas Hospital 2017
- Glaucoma Fellowship 2014 - 2016 Southend University Hospital 2014
Reference number 4036472
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- British Medical Association BMA 1993
- General Medical Council GMC 1993
- British Society of Refractive Surgeons BSRS 2000
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons ESCRS 2000
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons ASCRS 2000
- Member of United Kingdom Glaucoma Society UKEGS 2014
- Examiner for Royal College of Ophthalmologists Royal College of Ophthalmology, London 2019
- American Academy of Ophthalmologists AAO 2000
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
European society of cataract and refractive surgeons
American society of cataract and refractive surgeons
British society for refractive surgery
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
European Society of Glaucoma Surgeons
United Kingdom Society of Glaucoma Surgeons
Member of the General Medical Council
- East Surrey Hospital
- 17:00 - 21:00
- 020 3137 3237
- Spire Gatwick Park Povey Cross Rd, Hookwood,...
- 17:00 - 21:00
- 020 3137 3237
- Spire London East Roding Lane...
- 09:00 - 15:00
- 020 3137 3237
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Ms Tahmina Pearsall