- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Professor Paul Lee received his MB BCh from Cardiff University.He is a certified Member of the Facility of Sports and Exercise Medicine (MFSEM) and passed the certified Fellowship exams in Europe and UK in Orthopaedics (FEBOT & FRCS). To further develop his expertise in arthritis, complex orthopaedics surgery and regenerative medicine, he has undertaken further national fellowship training in the internationally renowned Orthopaedics Hospital in Oswestry in association with the British Orthopaedics Associations (BOA).
Prof. Lee has an excellent profile in research; after completing his MSc in Sports and Exercise Medicine in 2011, he was able to continue his research to a PhD level with regeneration medicine.
He was awarded the BOA Orthopaedics Travelling Fellowship in 2013 to visit the EndoKlinik, Germany and a Sports Medicine travelling fellowship in 2014 to present his work and gain further experience on Platelet Rich Plasma(PRP), Autologous Conditioning Serum (ACS) and Stem Cells in Australia.
Prof. Lee also has a passion to apply clinical data and biomechanical full leg alignment in hip and knee replacement surgery. He embraces the British tradition and craftsmanship of a well planned Cemented Total Hip replacement. He undertook the Robin Ling Exeter Hip Replacement Fellowship in the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Hospital in Exeter to further develop his skills from this world-renowned centre which developed the Exeter Hip and impaction bone grafting since 1970. Prof. Lee is a certified expert in the use of the Exeter hip system and the S.P.A.I.R.E. hip approach.
Prof. Lee is on the General Medical Council, UK (GMC) specialist register for Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery. Being a double board certified Orthopaedic surgeon with specialist interests in orthopaedics and sports medicine and having a PhD in medical engineering and regeneration, he has successfully applied his research to clinical use, he has treated UK Premiership footballers for muscle injuries which significantly reduced their time for recovery and return to play. He has treated sports injuries in high-level athletes and has been offering performance medicine consultation, treatment and lectures to elite sports teams since 2010. His clinical interests are lower limb arthroplasty, regenerative and sports surgery, performance medicine and non-surgical treatment of arthritis. He is visiting Professor of Sports Medicine in Unversity of Lincoln.
• Non-surgical treatment of arthritis
• Regenerative medicine and surgery
• PRP, Stem Cells, Hyaluronan Injections
• Arthritis unloading Brace
• Performance medicine
• Sports Injuries & Recovery medicine
Advanced Surgical techniques offered:
• M.A.G.I.C. – Micro Artho-Glycan Knee treatment
• Cartilage repair
• Stem Cells – BMAC, Lipogems
• S.P.A.I.R.E - Tendon sparing total hip replacement
• FT-MPFL – Patella re-alignment surgery
• All-inside - ACL reconstruction surgery (tendon sparing)
• Non-muscle crushing knee replacements
Areas of interest
Stem Cell; Sports Knee; Knee pain; Hip replacement; SPAIRE; Exeter; ACL; Knee replacement; Cartilage repair; Biological knee replacement; Hip arthritis; Knee arthritis; Sports recovery; performance; PRP; Lipogems; Actovegin
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Sports and Arthroplasty Surgeon
MSK and Regenerative Medicine Consultant
Visiting Professor of Sports Medicine
In order to further develop education and research, Prof. Lee founded WelshBone in 2013 and LEO institute in 2017 to inspire and promote education and good clinical practice. They were endorsed by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and British Orthopaedics Association. This led to the development of clinical examination courses, practical workshops. Prof. Lee is keen to promote and support orthopaedics and sports medicine research, and has supported many undergraduate and postgraduate projects. He has over 40 international publications in high impact journals such as BMJ, Journal of Arthritis and JBJS. He has secured grants for over £100,000 and completed many reach project with good international collaborations with cartilage and stem cell research.
Non-surgical treatment of arthritis
PRP, Stem Cells
Arthritis unloading Brace
Sports Recovery medicine
Sports injuries, ACL
Hip and Knee replacement
Most Downloaded Paper in The Surgery Journal 2017 - Thieme publisher
"Synovial Plica Syndrome of the Knee: A Commonly Overlooked Cause of Anterior Knee Pain."
BMJ - British Medical Journal
JBJS - Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
JoA - Journal of Arthritis
JoAr- Journal of Arthroplasty
KSSTA - Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy
Courses offered to GPs
Biological knee replacements
Knee brace – logics and evidence
Sports medicine, sports surgery and performance
Bearing surfaces and choice
Cement or Cementless – evidence-based medicine
Planning- offset, leg length & neck shift angle
Custom implants with 50 years results?
FAI, Pincer and Osteitis Pubis
Micro Fractures are not logical
PRP, BMAC, MAC, Stem cells, facts or fiction?
- FRCS (T&O) Royal Collage of Surgeon 2015
- FEBOT European Board of Orthopaedic Trauma 2014
- MFSEM Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine UK 2009
- PhD (Medical Engineering) Cardiff University 2014
- MSc (Sports and Exercise Medicine) University Wales Institute Cardiff 2011
- MBBch Cardiff University 2005
- Arthrex Advanced Sports Knee Fellowship ABMU / Arthrex 2017
- Ling Exeter Arthroplasty Fellowship Exeter Hip Unit 2016
- Regeneration medicine Stem Cells and Cartilage Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital 2015
- BOA Clinical Leadership Fellow RJAH 2015
- Fanni Medical Australia Sport Medicine Travelling Fellowship Melbourne Orthopaedic Group 2014
- BOA EU Travelling Septic Arthroplasty Fellowship Endoklinik, Hamburg, Germany 2013
- Higher surgical rotation Wales 2007
Reference number 6115197
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Medical Director Lincolnshire Elective Orthopaedic Institute 2017
- Chairman Welshbone 2016
- Quality improvement Q member Health Foundation 2017
- Visiting Professor of Sports Medicine University of Lincoln 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery, 2016
Affiliations / memberships
Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons
Membership of Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine - FSEM
Fellowship European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology - FEBOT
Membership of British Hip Society - BHS
Membership of British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma and Arthroscopy Association - BOSTAA
British Orthopaedic Association - BOA
Biological Knee Society - BKS
Lincolnshire Elective Orthopaedic Institute
- MSK doctor, Ancaster Surgery, 12 Ermine,...
- 18:30 - 08:30
- 0800 999 3777
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.