- Fee assured
- Verified this account
On completion of my postgraduate training in the North West, I was appointed as a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at the Blackpool Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in 2012.
I specialise in the management of benign gynaecological conditions with particular interest in menstrual disorders, pelvic pain, endometriosis, infertility, ambulatory gynaecological procedures and minimal access surgery (laparoscopy and hysteroscopy).
I am currently the lead clinician for risk governance in obstetrics and gynaecology, and previously head of department (2016-2017) at Blackpool Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Areas of interest
Endometriosis; Pelvic pain; Hysteroscopy; hysterectomy; Laparoscopic surgery; Menopause; Menorrhagia; Menstrual disorder; Miscarriage; Post menopausal problems; Vaginal Prolapse repair, Subfertility
- Heidi Atherton
- Spire Fylde Coast Hospital Fylde Coast Hospital St. Walburgas Road Blackpool FY3 8BP
- 07512 489055
- 07512 489055
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Robert Thompson Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
Blackpool Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Whinney Heys Road
1. Dunn KJ, Young RJ, Amu J, Donovan T, Reissland N. The human fetus preferentially engages with face-like visual stimuli. Current Biology. 2017 Jun 19;27(12):1825-1828. Available from, DOI: 10.1016/j.cub.2017.05.044
2. Tannous D, Datta T, Amu J (2016) Ewing’s Sarcoma in Pregnancy: A Case Report. Obstet Gynecol Int J 5(5): 00170
3. D Tannous, K Robinson and Johnson Amu. Pregnancy outcomes of morbidly obese women attending a specialist antenatal clinic. BJOG an International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 122:41-41 · April 2015.
4. R. Mohamed, J. Amu and M. Abdel-Aty. Cerebral Sinus Thrombosis in the 1st Trimester of pregnancy. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology July 2012, Vol. 32, No.5:483–484.
5. J. Amu, R. Kehinde and O. Amu. NHS abortion services: Referral pathways and Outcomes. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. October 2010; 30(7):704-706
6. S. Nallapeta, V. Bamigboye and J. Amu. Should we do a TV scan after a difficult coil insertion? The Internet journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 2009 volume 12 number 1
7. M. Kukreti, S. Nallapeta, J. Amu and V. Bamigboye. Prenatal diagnosis of Vasa Praevia: case report and literature review. The Internet journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 2009 volume 12 number 1
8. J. Amu, S. Phadnis and F. Sanusi. Bartholin’s gland carcinoma from Crohn’s disease; case report. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2007; volume 27; issue 1; page 98 -99
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.healthmedics.allocatehealthsuite.com/eAppraisalDocs/DocumentDelivery/GetNativeDocumentContents?documentId=0bde5897-40f8-4a6d-a018-a5cf83d33f78&token=0bde5897-40f8-4a6d-a018-a5cf83d33f78ZjamuZ96624c7f-98bc-4f94-aa53-307da7a44a39
- MBBS University of Nigeria 2000
- MRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2009
- ATSM Benign Gynaecology ( Open, Laparoscopy, Hysteroscopy) Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2012
- ATSM Labour Ward Lead Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2013
Reference number 6061915
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, UK, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
British Society of Gynaecology Endoscopy
British Medical Association
- St. Walburgas RoadBLACKPOOLFY3 8BP
- 13:30 - 17:00
- 01253 394188
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details