- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Upper GI surgery
I live with my family in Harpenden (wife and 2 kids) who keep me busy in my spare time.
When I am not working I try to watch or play football.
I am learning tennis to make it my second sport.
Areas of interest
Weight loss surgery (Bariatric surgery)
Gall bladder surgery (Cholecystectomy)
Keyhole (minimal access) surgery
Acid reflux and hiatus hernia repair
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Eva-Maria Lang Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon
Luton and Dunstable University Hospital
Weight loss surgery
Safety in surgery
Outcomes after surgery
Sport (mainly football)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
I have more than 25 published paper. These are the latest ones
1. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
on Barrett's Esophagus. Obes Surg. 2019 Jul 13
2. The Cholecystectomy As A Day Case (CAAD) Score: A Validated Score of Preoperative
Predictors of Successful Day-Case Cholecystectomy Using the CholeS Data Set.
World J Surg. 2019 Aug; 43(8):1928-1934
3. Secondary Bariatric Procedures in a High-Volume Centre: Prevalence, Indications and Outcomes.Obes Surg. 2019 Jul;29(7):2255-2262
4. Concomitant ventral hernia repair and bariatric surgery: a retrospective analysis from a UK-based bariatric centre. Surg Endosc. 2019 Mar;33(3):705-710
5. Meta-analysis of the effect of bariatric surgery on physical function. Br J Surg. 2018 Aug;105(9): 1107-1118
6. The development and validation of a scoring tool to predict the operative duration
of elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy. CholeS Study Group, Surg Endosc. 2018 Jul;32(7):3149-3157
7. Inravenous omega-3 fatty acids are associated with better clinic outcome and less inflammation in patients with predicted severe acute pancreasitis. A randomised double blind controlled trial.Nutrition.
8. Feeding Jejunostomy associated small bowel necrosis after oesophagi-gastric resection Journal of Gastro-intestinal Surgery. 2017 Sep;21(9):1385-1390
9. The Difference Between EUS & CT Scan in Diagnosing and Staging Peri Ampullary Tumours: An evidence-based approach. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Research. Vol 4, No 12 (2015)
10. Polyvinylidene Fluoride-coated Polypropylene Mesh for Intraperitoneal Onlay Mesh (IPOM) Repair of Ventral and Incisional Herniae
Journal of Gastrointestinal and Digestive System. 5(3): 1000284
11. Prognostic value of baseline FDG uptake on PET-CT in esophageal carcinoma. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2014 May 15;6(5):139-44.
12. The multifaceted effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated Fatty acids on the hallmarks of cancer. J Lipids. 2013;2013:261247
13. Changes in plasma and erythrocyte omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in response to
intravenous supply of omega-3 fatty acids in patients with hepatic colorectal metastases. Lipids Health Dis. 2013 May 7;12:64.
14. Unsaturated Fatty Acids Differ Between Hepatic Colorectal Metastases and Liver
Tissue Without Tumour in Humans: Results From a Randomised Controlled Trial of
Intravenous Eicosapentaenoic and Docosahexaenoic Acids. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2013 Jun;88(6):405-10.
Courses offered to GPs
I run a training course for bariatric surgery for senior surgery trainees on annual basis at Luton & Dunstable Hospital.
I routinely give talks about various topics in surgery (general and weight loss) to local GPs at request or in events arranged by local hospitals (NHS or private)
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.nhs.uk/profiles/consultant/6075308
- MD University of Leicester 2015
- MBChB University of Mosul 2000
- FRCS Eng Royal College of Surgeons of England 2015
- Certificate of Completion of Training Joint Committee on Surgical Training 2016
- Higher Surgical trainig East Midlands Health Health Education England 2016
Reference number 6075308
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT in General Surgery, 2016
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
Association of Upper GI surgeons
International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- Cobham Clinic in Luton & Dunstable hospital
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01582 497433
- Spire Harpenden Hospital
- 18:00 - 20:30
- 07832 227229
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details