- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Spire Shawfair Park Hospital, Spire Murrayfield Hospital Edinburgh .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
I am an ophthalmic surgeon, based in Edinburgh, with a diverse practice comprising adult general ophthalmology and cataract, with a special interest in paediatric ophthalmology and squint surgery.
Having completed my primary medical degree in South Africa, I moved to the UK in 2003 where I trained initially in general surgical specialties, attaining the MRCSEd diploma, before entering ophthalmic specialist training in Edinburgh, where I ultimately took up my NHS consultant post after achieving the FRCOphth qualification and concluding a specialist paediatric fellowship in Cape Town.
Being passionate about all aspects of ophthalmology, I particularly enjoy relating to patients and their families, aiming to provide the highest quality care. I perform general adult consultations and cataract surgery, whilst also delivering a busy regional specialist paediatric ophthalmic service at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh. I’m active in clinical, research, education and management activities at the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, and am registered for private practice at Spire Shawfair Hospital, where I will see children and adults of all ages.
I enjoy spending time with my wife and three young children and recharge with time outdoors cycling and kitesurfing.
Areas of interest
Adult general ophthalmology; adult cataract; paediatric ophthalmology; paediatric squint treatment including paediatric squint surgery
- Conrad Schmoll
- Spire Shawfair Hospital 10 Easter Shawfair Danderhall Dalkeith EH22 1FE
- 0131 316 2530
- 0131 654 5601
Anaesthetists worked with
Dr Conrad Schmoll has worked with Dr Suzanne Boyle at the following hospitals:
- Spire Shawfair Park Hospital (1-5)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist - NHS Lothian
Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, St John's Hospital, Livingston and Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh
Benefits of cataract surgery for human cognition and circadian function
Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimetry as a novel means of testing visual fields in children
Inter-observer variation in the grading and management of retinopathy of prematurity
1. Beck D, Burgess, F, Schmoll C. Bilateral cataracts as the presenting feature of type 1 diabetes in an 11-year-old girl. BMJ Case Reports 2018
2. Murray IC, Schmoll C, Perperidis A, Brash H, McTrusty A, Cameron L, Wilkinson A, Mulvihill A, Fleck B, Minns RA. Detection and characterisation ofvisual fields defects using Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimetry in children with brain tumours. Eye 2018
4. Burgess FR, Davies R, Mulvihill AO, Schmoll C. Comment on: ‘An international comparison of retinopathy of prematurity grading performance within the Benefits of Oxygen Saturation Targeting II trials’. Eye 2018
5. Jeganathan VSE, Schmoll C, Agarwal P. Is phacoemulsification with viscosynechiolysis effective for angle closure glaucoma? Promising results from a pilot study. January 2016 DOI10.15761/NFO.1000127
6. Fu L, Schmoll C, Wyatt G, Collins C. Comment on: The incidence of serious eye injury in Scotland: A prospective study. Eye 2015
7. Schmoll C, Khan A, Aspinall P et al. New light for old eyes: comparing the melanopsin-mediated non-visual benefits of blue-light and UV-blocking intraocular lenses. Br J Ophthalmol 2013
8. Schmoll C, McAtamney S, Madill S. Identification of Epstein-Barr virus in a case of aggressive retinochoroiditis. Eye 2013
9. Moragas-Garrido M, Goudie C, Schmoll C, Madill S, Farrall A, Davenport R. Seizure, dysphasia, blindness and amnesia; what’s the connection? Pract Neurol 2013
10. Theodoropoulou S, Schmoll C, Templeton K, Dhillon Bal. Atypical Toxoplasmic Retinochoroiditis. BMJ Case Reports 2012 May.
11. Schmoll C, Tendo C, Aspinall P, Dhillon B. Reaction time as a measure of enhanced blue-light mediated cognitive function following cataract surgery. Br J Ophthalmol 2011
12. Schmoll C, Lascaratos G, Dhillon B, Skene D, Riha R. The role of retinal regulation of sleep in health and disease. Sleep Med Rev 2011 Apr;15(2):107-13
13. Schmoll C, Hegde V, Bennett H, Singh J. Spontaneous resolution of a rhegmatogenous retinal detachment following normal labour and childbirth. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports 2012
14. Schmoll C, Devlin H, Foster P. Uveal effusion syndrome as a complication of cyclodiode therapy in nanophthalmos glaucoma. Eye 2011
15. Schmoll C, MacRae M, Mulvihill A, Murray R, Cunningham S, McKenzie K. Tuberculous dacryoadenitis in a Scottish teenager. Br J Ophthalmol 2009
16. Mitry D, Schmoll C, Hegde V, Borooah S, Singh J, Bennett H. Use of pegaptanib in the treatment of idiopathic retinal vasculitis. Eye 2008
- MBChB University of Pretoria 2000
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2014
- MRCSEd Diploma Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2005
Reference number 6062435
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists RCOphth 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council UK (Full, specialist registration with a licence to practise - Ophthalmology), 2015
- Spire Shawfair Park Hospital, 10 Easter...
- 09:00 - 11:30
- 0131 654 5600
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Contact via Shawfair park Reception on:
0131 654 5601
0131 654 5600
or contact me by email: