- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
I trained at St Barts and the Royal London School of Medicine, University of London and qualified in 2001. I work as a Haematology Consultant at The Whittington Hospital and University College Hospitals London. I completed my haematology training at King's College Hospital where I was appointed Clinical Lecturer in Sickle Cell Disease between 2009 and 2013. During that time I was awarded my PhD based on research into markers of severity and predictors of organ dysfunction in sickle cell disease with Professor Swee Lay Thein. In 2013 I was awarded the Early Stage Investigator prize from the British Society of Haematology. I am the North Central Haemoglobinopathy Network Lead and am an Honorary Senior Lecturer at UCL.
Areas of interest
Haemoglobinopathy; Sickle Cell Anaemia; Thalassaemia; Iron deficiency; Haemochromatosis; Rare Anaemias; Iron disorders;
Current NHS consultant posts held
The Whittington Hospital
London N19 5NF
University College London Hospital
250 Euston Road
London NW1 2PG
• The effects on the liver of haematological conditions
• End-organ damage in sickle cell disease and thalassaemia
• Iron overload syndromes
Early Stage Investigator prize from the British Society of Haematology 2013
1) Interim assessment of liver damage in patients with sickle cell disease using new non-invasive techniques.
Drašar E, Fitzpatrick E, Gardner K, Awogbade M, Dhawan A, Bomford A, Suddle A, Thein SL Br J Haematol 2017
2) Survival in adults with sickle cell disease in a high-income setting.
Gardner K, Douiri A, Drasar E, Allman M, Mwirigi A, Awogbade M, Thein SL. Blood. 2016
3) Tissue Iron Distribution Assessed by MRI in Patients with Iron Loading Anemias.
Gutiérrez L, House MJ, Vasavda N, Drašar E, Gonzalez-Gascon Y Marin I, Kulasekararaj AG, St Pierre TG, Thein SL. PLoS One. 2015
4) The clinical significance of K-Cl cotransport activity in red cells of patients with HbSC disease.
Rees DC, Thein SL, Osei A, Drasar E, Tewari S, Hannemann A, Gibson JS. Hematologica. 2015
5) Leukocyte Telomere Length in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease
Drasar E, Jiang J, Gardner K, Howard J, Vulliamy T, Vasavda N, Thein SL
Br J Haematol. 2014
6) The Effect of Duffy Antigen Receptor for Chemokines (DARC) on Severity in Sickle Cell Disease
Drasar E, Menzel S, Fulford T, and Thein SL
7) Genetic determinants of haemolysis in sickle cell anaemia.
Milton JN, Rooks H, Drasar E, McCabe EL, Baldwin CT, Melista E, Gordeuk VR, Nouraie M, Kato GR, Minniti C, Taylor J, Campbell A, Luchtman-Jones L, Rana S, Castro O, Zhang Y, Thein SL, Sebastiani P, Gladwin MT; Walk- PHAAST Investigators, Steinberg MH.
Br J Haematol. 2013
8) Renal iron load in sickle cell disease is influenced by severity of haemolysis.
Vasavda N, Gutiérrez L, House MJ, Drašar E, St Pierre TG, Thein SL.
Br J Haematol. 2012
9) Serum ferritin and total units transfused for assessing iron overload in adults with sickle cell disease.
Drasar E, Vasavda N, Igbineweka N, Awogbade M, Allman M, Thein SL.
Br J Haematol. 2012
10) Association between haemolysis and microalbuminuria in adults with sickle cell anaemia.
Day, T*, Drasar E*, Sharpe, C and Thein SL.
Hematologica 2012 * Joint first authors
11) Blood transfusion among adults with sickle cell disease – a single institution experience over ten years
Drasar E, Igbineweka N, Vasavda N, Free M, et al.
Br J Haematol 2011
- FRCPath Royal College of Pathologists 2015
- PhD King's College London 2014
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2006
- MBBS St Barts and The Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London 2001
Reference number 6026901
Details of entry to specialist register
- Haematology, 2016
- University College Hospital235 Euston...
- 09:00 - 18:00
- 020 3447 1717
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.