- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 24 Jun 2020
- Shoulder & Elbow
Amar Malhas is a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon with extensive fellowship training in shoulder and elbow surgery.
Having qualified in 2004 from King’s College London, he completed his basic surgical training in London before specialising in Trauma and Orthopaedics. Amar was appointed to the Birmingham rotation where he developed an interest in shoulder and elbow surgery.
Amar Malhas is now a Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon at The Royal Berkshire NHS trust in Reading. He also heads up Reading Shoulder & Elbow, a private practice based in hospitals across Reading, Berkshire.
Areas of interest
Shoulder Arthroscopy; rotator cuff tear; shoulder impingement; shoulder instability; shoulder dislocation; shoulder arthritis; shoulder replacement; shoulder fractures; clavicle fractures; ACJ dislocation; ACJ arthritis; tennis elbow; golfers elbow; elbow arthritis; elbow arthroscopy; elbow replacement; elbow fracture; ulna nerve compression; cubital tunnel syndrome; elbow dislocation; elbow instability; radial head replacement
- Jenni Smith
- Circle Reading 100 Drake Way Reading RG2 0NE
- 07555 547321
Anaesthetists worked with
- Berkshire Private Anaesthesia Not Fee Assured
- Dr Thomas Duncan Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Royal Berkshire NHS Trust,
Mr Malhas has published extensively on both laboratory and clinical orthopaedic-based studies. His most recent research interest is regarding the management of complex primary and revision shoulder replacements along with the role of shoulder replacements in the treatment of shoulder fractures.
Welcome Institute Summer Studentship- Grant to continue Research
Distinction in Basic Medical Sciences MBBS– King’s College London
- Malhas A, Rashid A, Copas D, Bale S, Trail I. Glenoid bone loss in primary and revision shoulder arthroplasty. Shoulder & Elbow. 2016 Oct;8(4):229-40
- Malhas AM, Skarparis YG, Sripada S, Soames RW, Jariwala AC. How well do contoured superior midshaft clavicle plates fit the clavicle? A cadaveric study. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2016 Jan 5.
- A Malhas, R Lawton, M Reidy, D Nathwani, B Clift. Causative organisms in revision total hip & knee arthroplasty for infection: Increasing multiantibiotic resistance in coagulase-negative Staphylococcus and the implications for antibiotic prophylaxis. The Surgeon. 2015 Oct;13(5):250-5.
- Hassan S, Eisma R, Malhas A, Soames R and Harry L. Flexor Tendon Repair using Thiel Cadavers: A comparison to formalin embalmed cadavers and porcine models. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2015 Mar;40(3):246-9.
- F Harrold, A Malhas, C Wigderowitz. A novel osteotomy in shoulder joint replacement based on analysis of the cartilage/metaphyseal interface. Clinical Biomechanics, 2014 Nov;29(9):1032-8.
- AD Ross, PJ Boscainos, A Malhas, C Wigderowitz. Peri-operative renal morbidity secondary to gentamicin and flucloxacillin chemoprophylaxis for hip and knee arthroplasty Scott Med J November 2013 58: 209-212.
- A Malhas, SL James, VP Sumathi, C Menna, SR Carter, RM Tillman, L Jeys, RJ Grimer. Low Grade central Osteosarcoma – A Difficult Condition to Diagnose. Sarcoma Volume 2012, Article ID 764796.
- Malhas, R. Grimer, A. Abudu, S. Carter, R. Tillman, L. Jeys. The final diagnosis in patients with a suspected primary malignancy of bone. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2011 93-B: 980-983.
- David Gordon, Amar Malhas, Alex Goubran, Padmanabhan Subramanian, Cheryl Messer and David Houlihan-Burne. Implementing the Rapid Recovery Program in primary hip and knee arthroplasty in a UK state run hospital. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 21:151-158. 2011.
- Malhas, Satta, Peter , Oliver and Teall A. Assessment of the management of septic arthritis in accordance with UK guidelines. The Journal of infection 11/2008; 57(6):496-7.
-Irving, Malhas, Guthrie and Mason: Establishing the Trochlear motor axon trajectory: role of the Isthmic organiser and Fgf-8. Development 129, 5389-5398, 2002.
Courses offered to GPs
Amar is always happy to give talks and seminars to GPs and allied health professionals. Please contact his secretary to arrange times.
- MBBS King's College London 2004
- BSc - Developmental Neurobiology King's College London 2001
- MSc - Orthopaedic Engineering Cardiff University 2010
- FRCS (Tr&Orth) Royal College Of Surgeons (England) 2012
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellow Glasgow Royal Infirmary 2014
- Upper Limb Fellow Wrightington Hospital 2015
Reference number 6103303
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedics, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association
British Elbow and Shoulder Society
British Medical Union
- 100 Drake WayREADINGRG2 0NE
- 13:30 - 17:00
- 07555 547321
- 16 Bath RoadREADINGRG1 6NS
- 13:30 - 17:00
- 07555 547321
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details