- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Female urology
- Impotency and infertility
- Reconstructive surgery
I am a Consultant Urologist at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals which has a broad catchment area covering Wakefield, Pontefract, Dewsbury, Barnsley and Leeds. I specialise in treating cystitis, urinary tract infection (UTI), biofilm infection, incontinence, pelvic floor weakness and urinary symptoms due to bladder problems (frequency, urgency, problems emptying, getting up at night, leakage, pain, etc) I am also interested in male reconstructive urology, including treatment of erectile problems and incontinence with artificial urinary sphincter after prostate surgery.
I qualified from The University of Manchester, with subsequent general surgical training in the Northwest of England and Higher Urological training in Yorkshire and Northeast of England. I undertook part of my sub-specialty training in Female Urology and Uro-gynaecology at Duke University, North Carolina, USA as well as The Centre for Pelvic floor at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. I completed a Royal College of Surgeons approved fellowship in Female Urology and Reconstructive Surgery at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne.
I am dual trained as both a surgeon (awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, FRCS) and as a scientist (awarded an immunology doctorate, PhD) and am very keen for patients to have access to the latest treatments and technologies available for bladder problems. Amongst my key achievements, I have received national funding awards from multiple bodies including the Medical Research Council (MRC), Wellcome Trust, National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and Wellbeing of Women. I have numerous peer-reviewed publications from my work and have published book chapters on urological infections. I also present regularly at The European Association of Urology where I have won multiple awards.
I am a member of the Medical Advisory Panel for Bladder Health UK, the largest UK charity for bladder problems and also serve as the President of the Yorkshire and Humberside Urostomy association. I hold academic positions at both Hull York Medical School and University of Newcastle with involvement in research and teaching for urologists and other healthcare professionals who help manage bladder problems.
Areas of interest
Urinary symptoms (frequency, urgency, problems emptying, getting up at night, leakage, pain, etc.)
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Pelvic floor weakness
Artificial urinary sphincter after prostate surgery
Bladder outflow obstruction due to enlarged prostate
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Urological Surgeon at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Best Poster Prize, European Association of Urology: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 & 2012
Best Poster Prize, Society of Academic & Research Surgery: 2014
1st Prize Best Abstract, European Association of Urology: 2013
Best Poster Prize, Société Internationale d'Urologie: 2013
Travel Fellowship, Society for Applied Microbiology: 2012
3rd Prize Best Abstract, European Association of Urology: 2011
Fellowship, Wellcome Trust: 2008
Scholarship, The Urology Foundation: 2008
Peer Reviewed Papers
• Targeting Deficiencies in the TLR5 Mediated Vaginal Response to Treat Female Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection. Scientific Reports 2017.
• Mortality of emergency abdominal surgery in high-, middle- and low-income countries. GlobalSurg Collaborative. British Journal of Surgery 2016
• Prostate Specific Antigen enhances the innate defence of prostatic epithelium against Escherichia coli infection. Prostate 2013.
• The surgical management and prognosis of renal cell cancer with IVC tumor thrombus. Urological Oncology 2013.
• Current Status of Cryotherapy in Prostate Cancer. British Journal of Medical and Surgical Urology 2012.
• Tolerance of bacteruria after urinary diversion is linked to antimicrobial peptide activity. Urology 2011.
• Maintaining a sterile urinary tract: the role of Antimicrobial Peptides. Journal of Urology 2009.
• The Spectrum of Prostate Cancer Care – Curative Intent to Management to Palliation. Current Urology Reports 2007.
• Fatigability of the External Sphincter in Anal Incontinence. Diseases of the Colon Rectum 2004
• Lower Urinary Tract Infection chapter in “Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology (OTCN), Fourth Edition”, edited by Neil Turner, David Goldsmith, Christopher Winearls, Norbert Lameire, Jonathan Himmelfarb, Christoph Wanner, Guiseppe Remuzzi, Oxford University Press, published October 2015.
• Pathogenesis of Urinary Tract Infection chapter in “Oxford Textbook of Urological Surgery”, edited by Professor Freddie Hamdy and Mr Ian Eardley, Oxford University Press, for publication in 2017.
National and Local Guidelines
• Transrectal ultrasound and prostatic biopsy: Guidelines & recommendations for training, guidelines for BAUS edited by D Greene and A Ali, published by BAUS 2014.
• City Hospitals Sunderland (CHS) Policy for relapsing or recurrent Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) in adults published by CHS 2013.
Courses offered to GPs
Management of recurrent urinary tract infection
Management of Incontinence
Management of Erectile dysfunction
- B.Sc.(Hons) University of Manchester 1999
- MB.ChB. University of Manchester 2002
- PhD Newcastle University 2013
- FRCS (Urol) The Royal College of Surgeon of England 2014
- Fellowship in Female Urology and Reconstructive Surgery Newcastle Urology 2015
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Medical Advisory Panel Bladder Health UK 2016
- President Yorkshire and Humberside Urostomy Association 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT in Urology, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
• Royal College of Surgeons of England
• British Association of Urological Surgeons
• European Association of Urology
• American Urology Association
• Society for Applied Microbiology
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
01977 717 548