- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Applied Relaxation
- Behaviour Therapy
- Behavioural Activation (BA)
- CBT with Exposure and Response Prevention (CBT with ERP)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Bulimia Nervosa (CBT-BN)
- Family Therapy
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Trauma focused CBT
- Video & Telephone remote therapy sessions
Dr McNeill specialises in psychological therapies for all ages, psychological assessment for surgery and aesthetics and medico legal assessment.
Dr Yvonne McNeill is a Clinical Psychologist with over 15 years experience of treating a wide range of psychological issues in children, adolescents and adults.
Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and holding chartered status with the BPS, she holds a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, a Masters degree in Psychological Medicine as well as a degree in Psychology. Dr McNeill has also undertaken additional training in a range of therapeutic approaches.
Having worked for various NHS Health Boards and in NHS settings including Yorkhill (Children’s) Hospital, Glasgow Royal Infirmary’s Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit and Maternity and Neonatal services at The Southern General Hospital, Dr McNeill has amassed a wide ranging skill set and experiences.
Dr McNeill specialising in working with the following conditions: depression/ low mood; self harm; anxiety/ panic; health anxiety; social anxiety; phobias; anger issues; stress; OCD; PTSD/ Trauma; low self esteem; concerns about appearance; pain management; difficulty adjusting to a medical conditions or life events; fear of relapse of a medical condition; relationship difficulties including parenting; support in making decisions about medical care and genetic testing.
Dr McNeill undertakes assessment of psychological suitability for surgery.
In addition to the above, in her private practice Dr McNeill also provides treatment for personal development and wellbeing by improving your confidence and assertiveness, overcoming exam stress and making health changes such as stopping smoking or using drugs.
Dr McNeill works primarily within a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) framework, incorporating elements of related therapies, such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Mindfulness, Solution Focused therapy and Compassion Focussed therapy (CFT) depending on each client’s individual needs and preferences. She provides workshops to professionals working in children and adolescent services in England teaching the use of CBT self help materials.
Dr McNeill is able to offer supervision to fellow health professionals, has assessed the psychological impact of injuries for lawyers and insurance companies and is also experienced in working with interpreters.
Areas of interest
Adjustment to physical illness or injury; poor body image; low self esteem; anxiety; depression; OCD; child psychology; parenting; Psychological assessment for surgery and aesthetics; supporting decision making in respect of medical care.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Cardiac conditions
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders
- Pain management
- Physical disability
Current NHS consultant posts held
Clinical Psychologist at the Liaison Psychiatry Service, Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Stobhill Hospital
CBT self help for children and adolescents
Medical decision making
Psychological variables that improve surgical and medical outcomes
(Additional) Languages spoken
- English - Native or bilingual
- Doctorate In Clinical Psychology University of Glasgow 2008
- Masters in Psychological Medicine University of Glasgow 2005
- Masters in Psychology University of Glasgow 1997
- Accredited supervisor of CBT therapists NHS National Education Scotland 2014
- Accedited supervisor of psychological therapies NHS National Education Scotland 2012
- Trainer for Developing Practice course: Teaching psychological skills to the medical profession NHS National Education Scotland 2016
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chartered Psychologist British Psychological Society (BPS) 2018
- Practioner Psychologist Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) 2018