- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr. Panos Liantis is a Consultant Spine Surgeon treating all conditions of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. NHS patients can consult Mr. Liantis at leading academic hospitals Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospitals. Private patients can consult Mr. Liantis at The London Clinic and London Bridge Hospital.
Mr. Liantis is Fellowship trained in both orthopaedic and neurosurgical spine surgery having completed Fellowships at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospitals, the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery and Great Ormond Street Hospital. Furthermore, Mr. Liantis only treats conditions of the spine. This means that when patients are reviewed by Mr. Liantis they can be certain to receive a highly specialised opinion drawing on both his orthopaedic and neurosurgical spinal background.
Conditions treated by Mr. Liantis include neck pain, back pain and sciatica. He also treats more complex conditions including spinal deformities (scoliosis and kyphosis), tumours, infection and spinal trauma. Surgically, Mr. Liantis is able to offer his patients all options ranging from spinal injections, spinal decompressions and discectomies to complex anterior, lateral and posterior fusions. He is also trained in the latest techniques including minimally invasive and microscopic spinal surgery. Mr. Liantis works closely with physiotherapists and pain physicians, especially in the case of patients who do not require spinal surgery.
Outside of the clinical environment Mr. Liantis maintains a keen interest in academia having obtained a PhD in Orthopaedics and a Bachelor in Educational Studies. He is the Spine Fellowship Director at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospitals and teaches medical students. He is a member of the British Association of Spine Surgeons (BASS), Society of Lateral Access Surgeons ( SOLAS), AO Spine Foundation and the North American Spine Society (NASS).
Mr. Liantis is fluent in English, Greek and German and accepts all spine referrals including patients referred for a second opinion from other spine surgeons.
Areas of interest
Low back pain; Neck pain; Degenerative lumbar disease; Microdiscectomy; Spinal decompression; Minimal invasive spinal surgery; Cervical disc disease; Cervical disc replacement; Spinal deformity; Scoliosis; Kyphosis; Complex revision spinal surgery; Spinal trauma and fractures; Spinal tumours; Spinal infections; Pain management; Vertebroplasty; Kyphoplasty
- Debbie Seymour
- London Bridge Hospital 27 Tooley Street London SE1 2PR
- 020 7234 2009
- 07931 773982
- Sofia Vago
- The London Clinic 116 Harley Street London W1G 7JL
- 020 7616 7720
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr John Anderson Not Fee Assured
- Dr Jaqueline Porter Not Fee Assured
- Dr Peter Amoroso Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Spinal and Orthopaedic Surgeon
Guys and St. Thomas’ Hospital,
Great Maze Pont
London SE1 9RT
investigate the role of the microbiome in lumbar disc degeneration
Clinical Coding Champions Award 2017, Guys and St. Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
(Additional) Languages spoken
- German - Fluent
- Greek, Modern - Fluent
• Liantis P, Mavrogenis AF, Stavropoulos NA, Kanellopoulos AD, Papagelopoulos PJ, Soucacos PN, Babis GC. Risk factors for and complications of distraction osteogenesis. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2013 Jun 23.
• Nikolopoulos CE, Mavrogenis AF, Tsailas P, Liantis P, Papagelopoulos PJ. Reattachment of the cortical cap after bone graft harvesting from the proximal tibia. Orthopedics 2007;30(7):521-2.
• Korres DS, Benetos IS, Themistocleous GS, Mavrogenis AF, Nikolakakos L, Liantis PT. Diving injuries of the cervical spine in amateur divers. Spine J 2006;6(1):44-9.
• Korres DS, Benetos IS, Liantis PT. Proposal of a modified, treatment-oriented classification of odontoid fractures. The spine journal: official journal of the North American Spine Society 2006; 6(3):351.
Courses offered to GPs
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Low back pain- When to refer to a specialist?
Examination of the Spine
- Medical School Graduation (Ptyxio Iatrikes) University of Athens 1998
- PhD in Orthopaedics University of Athens 2014
- Specialty in Orthopaedics Prefecture of Athens 2009
- Bachelor in Education, Teaching Diploma Accreditation University of Teaching Athens, Greece 2002
- Fellow in Complex Spinal Surgery Department of Neurosurgery, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery,Queen Square, London UK 2012
- Fellow in Complex Spinal Surgery Orthopaedic Department, Guys and St. Thomas’ Hospital, London UK 2011
- Fellow in Paediatric Spinal Deformity Great Ormond Street Hospital 2010
Reference number 7059539
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.