- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Head & neck oncology
I have worked as ENT/Head and Neck Surgeon for the last 23 years and have received very extensive and broad based training in India and UK. I completed my medical graduation (MBBS) and post graduation (Masters in Surgery – Otolaryngology) from a major referral centre in Delhi, India. I then moved to UK for further training in ENT, and having completed higher surgical training, I am on the Specialist register for ENT in UK. My clinical training includes a very well rounded training in all aspects ENT surgery, in Adults and Paediatrics, especially in Head and Neck and Thyroid surgery (worked as Senior registrar - Head and Neck cancer centre, UCL hospital, London) and in Paediatric Otolaryngology (completed Paediatric ENT Fellowship, Evelina Children’s hospital, St Thomas hospital, London).
I am currently working as a Substantive Consultant in ENT, Head & Neck & Thyroid Surgery at Queen’s hospital, Romford. I am also the Clinical Lead for Paediatrics ENT as well as the named Clinician for the Children’s and Young person for the Barking Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust.
I have completed following two higher research degrees and a managerial degree:-
1. MSc – University of Warwick, UK.
2. Masters in Surgery (Otolaryngology) – University of Delhi, India.
3. Postgraduate Certificate in NHS Healthcare Leadership with Merit award
- Open University, UK
I have publishes several peer reviewed research papers, presented at several national and international meetings, and have received following awards:-
1. The Honorable mention award: for my study entitled, "Role of Serum PTH and Calcium Levels in Predicting post Thyroidectomy hypocalcaemia". The American head and neck society conference, 21–25/07/2012, Toronto, Canada.
2. Poster of merit award: for, "Level six neck dissection for thyroid cancer – is its morbidity justified?” The American head and neck society conference, Arizona, USA, 30–31/05/2009.
Areas of interest
I perform all kinds of ENT Surgery including Adenotonsillectomy, Septoplasty, FESS, Laryngoscopy, Myringoplasty, Mastoid Surgery. Thyroid and Parotid Surgery, Neck Lump excision, Pinnaplasty, Rhinoplasty, Turbinates reduction, Surgery for snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea. Since this is not an exhaustive list, kindly enquire if this list does not cover your situation.
I am trained to performed a new and less invasive technique of performing Tonsillectomy (Intracapsular coblation technique) which has quicker recovery rate ( 5-7 days Versus upto 14 days) with minimal post operative bleeding (< 0.5% Versus upto 4%) in conventional techniques of performing Tonsillectomy. This technique is currently only being offered at only a few centre’s including at Great Ormond street hospital and St Thomas Hospital.
Besides English, I am also proficient in Hindi and Urdu language.
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Prakash Naik Fee Assured
- Dr Gangani Yakandawala Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in ENT, Head & Neck & Thyroid Surgery
Clinical Lead in Paediatrics ENT
Rom Valley Way
Romford RM7 0AG.
1. Calcium management in post thyroidectomy patients.
2. Coblation intracapsular Tonsillectomy.
My twin sons keep me busy and occupied in my spare time.
1. Honorable mention award: for study entitled, "Systematic Review & Role of Serum PTH/Calcium in predicting hypocalcaemia post-Thyroidectomy for early Discharge". The American head & neck society conference, 21–25/07/2012, Toronto, Canada.
2. Merit award: Post Graduate Certificate in NHS Healthcare Leadership, NHS Leadership Academy & Open University, September 2016.
1. Book Chapter-Bhattacharyya A, Sen P, Jain A, Reading N. Deep neck space infections. Textbook of Head and Neck Surgery,
Jaypee medical publication, 2nd Edition, 2015.
2. Jain A, Marnerides A, Tweedie D. The Left neck swelling – 1 year (Abstract) accepted for publication 09th October 2015, The Journal of Laryngology & Otology.
3. Berwick F, Possamai P, Jain A. Extensive Cervical Lymphadenopathy – A rare disease (Abstract) accepted for publication 09th October 2015, The Journal of Laryngology & Otology.
4. Vasani SS, Jain A, Hogg F, East CA. Otorhinolaryngology & Neck Surgery: Septoplasty & Septorhinoplasty. Core Surgery Journal. 2013; Vol 3, No. 2: pp 42–46.
5. Mehanna HM, Jain A, Randeva H, Watkinson JC, Shaha A. Post-operative hypocalcaemia – the difference a definition makes. Head and Neck March 2010; Vol 32, No 3: pp 279 - 283.
6. Mehanna HM, Jain A, Morton RP, Watkinson JC, Shaha A. Investigating the thyroid nodule. British Medical Journal March 2009; Vol 338, No 7696: pp 705-709.
7. Mehanna HM, Jain A, Morton RP, Watkinson JC, Shaha A. What other Journals tell us - Investigating the thyroid nodule. Clinical Otolaryngology October 2009; Vol 34, No5: pp 474-478.
8. Mehanna HM, Jain A. Diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Masterclass Yearbook 2008; Vol 1, No. 1: pp 98 - 102.
9. Jain A, Parker AJ; How I do it: Groningen valve change in difficult cases. The Journal of Laryngology & Otology August 2005; Vol 119, No. 8: pp 629-630.
10. Al-Yousuf A, Jain A, Parker AJ; Post Thyroplasty Implant Extrusion. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 2006; Vol 58, No. 2: pp 139-142.
11. Venkatachalam VP, Jain A; Role of FESS in the management of chronic sinusitis. Journal of the Indian medical association February 2002; Vol 100, No. 2: pp 78-83.
12. Chaudhary N, Jain A, et al; Intramuscular haemangioma of head & neck region. The JLO December 1998; Vol. 112: pp - 1199-1201.
13. Chaudhary N, Jain A, et al; Bilateral complete choanal atresia in an adult woman managed with nasal endoscopes. Journal of the Indian medical association February 2010; Vol 108, No. 2: pp 109-110.
14. Jain A, Chaudhary N, et al; Hemifacial microsomia. The Indian Journal of Otology and Head and Neck Surgery Oct - Dec 1997; Vol 49, No. 4: pp - 399-401.
Courses offered to GPs
!. Coblation Intracapsular Tonsillectomy - A new technique and innovation in performing Tonsillectomy with much better outcomes.
2. Paediatrics ENT conditions - When to refer?
- FRCS (ORL-HNS) Royal College of Surgeons - Ireland 2012
- MSc (Research based peer reviewed Thesis) University of Warwick, UK 2013
- FRCS (Otolaryngology) Royal College of Surgeons - Ireland 2002
- DLO Royal College of Surgeons - England 2002
- Masters in Surgery (Otolaryngology) Delhi University, India 1998
- Post Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Leadership NHS Leadership academy and Open University, UK 2016
- European Computer Driving License (ECDL) The British Computer Society 2004
- MBBS Delhi University, India 1994
- Fellowship in Paediatrics ENT Evelins Children's Hospital, St Thomas Hospital, London 2015
- Senior Registrar in Head and Neck & Thyroid Surgery University College Hospital, London 2014
Reference number 5196686
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Clinical Lead in Paediatrics ENT Queen's Hospital, Romford RM7 0AG. 2016
- Named Clinician for the Children's & Young person specialty group Queen's Hospital, Romford RM7 0AG. 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- On Specialist register for Otolaryngology, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
2. British Medical Association.
3. Medical Defence Union.
4. British Laryngology association.
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Accident and Emergency