- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
Following qualification in medicine at University College Galway, Ireland in 1980 Simon Kelly undertook higher surgical training in ophthalmology at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital. He undertook a Fellowship in Medical Retina diseases at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London.
Mr Kelly was appointed as Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at the Royal Bolton Hospital in 1991 and established the Bolton Eye Unit. On appointment he introduced modern methods of cataract surgery, laser treatments of retinal disorders including in premature infants. Since then he introduced new ways of treating other severe eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration. His interests are professional standards, public health, patient safety and quality of care. He has been active with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and the National Patient Safety Agency on such topics since 2003. He is a member of the NHS Clinical Leaders Network. He has 60 peer reviewed publications in the medical literature. He has appeared in the media and at the Health Select Committee on behalf of the Royal College. He has been an invited lecturer at several national and international ophthalmology events.
He served as Staff Governor at the Royal Bolton Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and as Council member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and as Chairman of the Quality and Safety Committee at the Royal College. He authored the College’s guidance on patient safety and conceived the College’s quality improvement metric on the care of patients with age-related macular degeneration. At European level he has been successfully involved in lobbying for changes to tobacco product warnings to include advice to the public that smoking is associated with vision impairment.
He has been striving to improve services for patients in Bolton since 1991 and states he is not shy of controversy. He has roles outside the NHS which have been declared. He has acted as Expert to the Courts in personal injury and clinical negligence litigation.
He lives in south Manchester and has grown up children. He enjoys gardening and hill walks in his spare time.
Areas of interest
Retinal disease / surgery; Cataract surgery; Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD); Diabetic Retinopathy;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Royal Bolton Hospital
Retinal Disorders; Patient Safety; Quality of Ophthalmic Care; Telemedicine;
CEA Gold Award 2015
Macular Society 'Top 20 Doctor' 2015
Clinical Leaders Network Award
Lancet; BMJ; Ophthalmology; British Journal of Ophthalmology; Eye; Clinical Ophthalmology: Journal of Glaucoma;
Courses offered to GPs
Update on Medical Retinal Conditions;
The Red Eye;
Modern Cataract Care
- MB, BCh, BAO National University of Galway, Ireland 1980
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London 1989
- FRCSEd Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1984
- FEBO European Board of Ophthalmology, Paris 2003
- DOMS Royal College of Surgeons and Physcians, Dublin 1982
- Higher Surgical Training in Ophthalmology Manchester Royal Eye Hospital 1989
- Fellowship Medical Retina Moorfields Hospital, London 1990
Reference number 2769743
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chairman; Quality & Safety Committee Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London 2013
- Staff Governor: Medical & Dental Royal Bolton Hospital 2011
- Member; Professional Standards Committee Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London 2013
- Ophthalmic Advisor; Board for Safer Surgery, National Patient Safety Agency 2012
- Council Member Royal Society of Medicine, Ophthalmic Section 2006
Details of entry to specialist register
- Higher Surgical Training , 1989
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Ophthalmologists; American Academy of Ophthalmology; EuRetina; BMA; Clinical Leaders Network; Royal Society of Medicine; North of England Ophthalmological Society; Bolton Medical Society
- BMI The Beaumont Hospital, BL6 4LA
- 09:30 - 12:00
- 01204 404404
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Beaumont Hospital, Bolton. Tele 01204-404404