- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Applied Relaxation
- Behaviour Therapy
- Behavioural Activation (BA)
- Behavioural Couples Therapy
- CBT with Exposure and Response Prevention (CBT with ERP)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Family Therapy
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Motivational Interviewing
- Short Term Psychodynamic Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Trauma focused CBT
I am a Consultant Clinical Psychologist who takes a flexible approach tailored to your individual needs, offering a variety of therapeutic models which can be integrated or used alone.
I can offer individual or couples therapy.
In addition to Clinical Psychology approaches, I am trained in Clinical Hypnotherapy which may be useful for certain conditions and we can discuss this.
I am highly experienced in working with individuals with physical health conditions which may impact on their quality of life, involve suffering through pain and other symptoms. We can work together to address the impact on your psychological wellbeing, for example, anxiety and/or depression.
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions at all.
Areas of interest
Trauma/PTSD; Gastro-Intestinal; Veterans; Managing Stress; Organisational; Pain
I am also trained in 'Brainspotting' therapy which stems from EMDR and I use Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) regularly, which is not listed under Bupa Therapies.
I have completed training in Somatic Experiencing, which is a mind body therapy.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Cardiac conditions
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Physical disability
- Rheumatological conditions
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms
- Stress Management
- yoga therapy for trauma
- Video and telephone consultations
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Salford Royal Hospital. Held since 2010; Consultant since 2015.
I lead a Gastro-Intestinal Clinical Psychology service at Salford Royal and work closely as part of the Multi-Disciplinary Team with the Specialist National Intestinal Failure Unit here.
I routinely work with trauma from hospital experiences and other types, anxiety, depression, body image difficulties, grief, loss, adjustment, coping.
Gastro related psychological factors.
Quality of Life in physical health
I enjoy yoga, reading, meditation, cooking and travel
Gastrointestinal Dysmotility: A qualitative exploration of the journey from symptom onset to diagnosis. / Twist, Katherine; Ablett, Joanne; Wearden, Alison; Paine, Peter; Vasant, Dipesh; Lal, Simon; Peters, Sarah.
In: Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 15.02.2018.
POOR SOCIAL SUPPORT AND UNEMPLOYMENT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH NEGATIVE AFFECT IN HPN DEPENDENT PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC INTESTINAL FAILURE. Ablett, J et al. (2018)
In: Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
The active problem solving of patients dependent on home parenteral
nutrition: A qualitative analysis
Liam Ennis*, Joanne Ablett, Michael Taylor, Simon Lal (2018)
In: Clinical Nutrition-ESPEN
- DClinPsy University of Leicester 2010
- BSc (Hons) Psychology The Open University 2005
- Brainspotting Phase 1 BSP 2017
- Clinical Hypnosis Foundation BSCAH 2012
- ACT for Physical Health Ray Owen 2017
- Using Formulation in Teams BPS 2014
- Intestinal Failure Masterclass Dansac 2017
- Effective Influencing and Negotiation Skills Grow Medical 2016
- Shame, Trauma and Treatment in PTSD BPS 2011
- Expert Witness Report Writing Bond Solon 2016
- Expert Witness Courtroom Skills Bond Solon 2016
- Certificate in Health & Social Care The Open University 1999
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist British Psychological Society 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- BPS Expert WitnessRegister, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
Member of British Society of Clinical & Academic Hypnosis (BSCAH) since 2012
Member of Division of Clinical Psychology (BPS) since 2010
- Stott LaneSALFORDM6 8HD
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 07890 185183
- The Parkview Centre21 Common...
- 10:00 - 16:00
- 07890 185183
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details