- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Applied Relaxation
- Behavioural Activation (BA)
- CBT with Exposure and Response Prevention (CBT with ERP)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Family Therapy
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Short Term Psychodynamic Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
Magdalena is an experienced HCPC (Health Care Professionals Council) Registered Clinical, Counselling and Forensic Psychologist, Chartered Psychologist (British Psychological Society) and BABCP (British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies) accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist.
She has many years’ experience assessing and treating different client groups with psychological difficulties, in NHS and third sector organisations, in the UK and overseas. She has a strong interest in research and therapeutic outcomes. Magdalena remains involved in research and has undertaken funded research leading to peer reviewed publications. She provides an evidence-based psychological treatment using the most effective psychological interventions, based upon the best scientific evidence available. When working with clients Magdalena tends to be quite practical in her approach, often taking the work she does, outside of the therapy room where she can make changes using a behavioural experiment approach.
Magdalena works using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to treat a range of psychological disorders; Depression, Anxiety, Panic Disorder, Phobias, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Social Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive disorder (OCD), Illness Anxiety Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD), Sleep problems and Stress. In addition, she provides support for clients with range of difficulties such as: Addictions, Bereavement, Bullying, Issues related to identity and culture, Personality Disorders, Relationship difficulties, Self-Esteem difficulties and Sexual difficulties. Magdalena also has skills and interests in the areas of couple therapy, Behavioural Family Therapy (BFT) and neuropsychological testing.
Areas of interest
Addictions, Agoraphobia, Anger Management, Anorexia Nervosa, Anxiety, Assertiveness, Avoidance, Bereavement, Binge Eating Disorder (BED), Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD), Bulimia Nervosa, Career Issues, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (ME), Death Anxiety, Depression, Divorce, Employment, Frustration, Gambling, Gender Identity Disorders, Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Grief, Guilt, Health Problems, Internet Addiction, Low Self Esteem, Memory Problems, Midlife Crisis, Minority Stress, Motivation, Narcissism, Negative Thoughts, Nightmares, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Pain Management, Panic Attacks, Panic Disorder, Perfectionism, Performance Management, Personal Relationships, Pet Bereavement, Phobias, Physical Illness, Post Natal Depression (PND), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Procrastination, Relationship Problems, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Sleep Problems, Social Phobia, Stress Management, Substance Abuse, Trichotillomania, Weight Issues, Work Stress.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Physical disability
- Rheumatological conditions
- Video and telephone consultations
Current NHS consultant posts held
Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist
East Surrey Hospital, Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Neuropsychological disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Depression, Stress at work, Self-esteem.
Well-being, equine therapy, theatre, sports.
Galant-Miecznikowska, M. (2018). How A Clinical Psychologist Improves the Lives of Those Unable to Speak for Themselves. Dementia Distress Relief Blog: http://dementiadistressrelief.com/clinical-psychologist-improves-lives-unable-speak/ published on the 29th February 2018 by Rhonda Caudell
Smythe, A., Jenkins, C., J., Galant-Miecznikowska, M., Bentham, P., & Oyebode (2017). A qualitative study investigating training requirements of nurses working with people with dementia in nursing homes. Nurse Education Today.
Bhui, K., Dinos, S., Galant-Miecznikowska, M., De Jongh, B., Stansfeld, S. (2016). ‘Perceptions of work stress causes and effective interventions in employees working in public, private and non-governmental organisations: a qualitative study’. BJPsych Bulletin.
Smythe, A., Jenkins, C., Bentham, P., & Oyebode, J., Dyer, J., Galant-Miecznikowska, M., Jones, S. (2016). Burdett Report. Burdett Trust for Nursing.
Jenkins, C., Smythe, A., Galant-Miecznikowska, M., Bentham, P., & Oyebode, J. (2016). Overcoming challenges of conducting research in nursing homes. Nursing older people, 28(5), 16-23.
Galant-Miecznikowska, M., Jenkins, C., Smythe, A. (2015). Research in progress: Dementia care training, The Journal of Dementia Care, 23 (2), 34.
Jenkins, C., Smythe, A., Galant-Miecznikowska, M. (2014). How can training interventions for nurses promote person-centred dementia care in nursing homes? Mental Health Nursing, 34 (5), 16-19.
A poster 'A qualitative study investigating training requirements of nurses working with people with dementia in nursing homes' was presented at the NET 2015 26th International Networking for Healthcare Education Conference.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Intervention (CBT), High Intensity Level II IAPT training University of Surrey 2016
- Dementia Care Mapping 8th Edition (Basic User of the Dementia Care Mapping Method) University of Bradford 2014
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapy for Practitioners in Therapeutic Environments Middlesex University 2012
- MSc Mental Health: Psychological Therapies Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London 2011
- MSc Social Pathology, Forensic and Penitentiary Psychology University of Gdansk 2008
- Living with Dementia: Innovation and Leadership University of Salford 2016
- Behavioural Family Therapy Training Meriden Family Programme 2015
- Clinical Supervision Course Birmingham and Solihull NHS Mental Health Foundation Trust 2015
- CBT for Chronic Pain South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust 2013
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust 2016
- Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist East Surrey Hospital, Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Practitioner Psychologist, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
British Psychological Society (BPS) (Chartered Psychologist)
Health Care Professionals Council (HCPC)
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) (Cognitive Behavioural Therapist)