- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Jensen is a highly skilled and experienced spinal surgeon, with fellowship training in Orthopaedic and Neurosurgery techniques to treat all spinal pathologies from the top of the neck to the coccyx, in children and adults. He has a keen sub-specialist interest in degenerative conditions of the neck and lower back – particularly revision lumbar surgery, complex cervical and disc replacement surgery.
Mr Jensen is currently a Consultant Spinal Surgeon in Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. Prior to this appointment, he undertook an Advanced Spine Fellowship in Leeds 2013-2014. He completed his medical school, basic and higher surgical training in Newcastle upon Tyne and the North East of England.
Mr Jensen has quickly developed a successful and thriving spinal surgery practice in both NHS and Private sectors. He treats all spine pathologies including trapped nerves in the neck and lower back leading to arm and leg pain (sciatica), central neck and lower back pain (lumbago), tumours, trauma and infection. He is also specially trained in key-hole (minimally invasive) spine surgery and also disc replacement (motion preserving technology) surgery.
Areas of interest
Back pain; Lumbago; Buttock pain; Coccyx pain; Coccydynia; Spondylosis; Degenerative Disc Disease; Leg pain; Sciatica; Disc prolapse; Slipped disc; Fractures; Vertebroplasty; Kyphoplasty; Infections; Tumours; Deformity; Microdiscectomy; Fusion surgery; PLF; PLIF; TLIF; XLIF; Neck pain; Arm pain; Brachalgia; Myelopathy; ACDF; Corpectomy; Foramenotomy; Laminectomy; Cervical Disc Replacements
- Julie Ullock
- Wansbeck General Hospital Woodhorn Lane Ashington NE63 9JJ
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Wansbeck General Hospital
Mr Jensen has a rich pedigree in clinical research, publishing many papers in leading scientific journals on topics including discovering detrimental effects of new antithrombotic agents, reducing the national infection rate following hip replacements in trauma with a change in the bone cement, and antimicrobial suture materials in orthopaedic procedures. He has presented his research internationally and, as a result has become a reviewer of research for a major scientific journal, and is on the educational committee for the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery.
Mr Jensen is a dedicated educator and has been training allied health professionals, medical students, junior doctors and other spine surgeons for many years. He is currently Royal College Surgical Tutor for Northumbria, and was recently appointed as Early Years Lead for Trauma and Orthopaedics in the Northern Deanery. He teaches spine surgery topics to senior surgical trainees at the BOA Instructional every year and this year will be teaching faculty at Britspine conference.
Due to his various research projects he has been awarded Prizes by the Royal College of Surgeons North Of England Surgical Society, the Northern Deanery Research Prize two years running, Arthritis Research UK 'Young Investigator of the Year' Prize and British Orthopaedic Association 'Best of the Best' Research Prizes in 2013.
• The use of high-dose dual-impregnated antibiotic-laden cement with hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of a fracture of the hip: The Fractured Hip Infection Trial (FHIT).
Bone Joint J. 2016 Nov; 98-B(11):1534-1541. PMID: 27803231 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID: PMC5102031.
• Unexplained perioperative vertebrobasilar stroke in patient undergoing anterior cervical decompression and disc arthroplasty.
Int J Spine Surg. 2015 Feb 19;9. doi: 10.14444/2004. PMID: 25713773 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC4337409.
• The effect of Triclosan coated sutures on rate of surgical site infection after hip and knee replacement: a protocol for a double-blind randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014 Jul 14;15:237. doi: 10.1186/1471-2474-15-237. PMID: 25027459 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID: PMC4108972.
• Are claims made in orthopaedic print advertisements valid?
International Orthopaedics 2014 May;38(5):1067-72. doi:10.1007/s00264-013-2159-z PMID: 24162156 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID: PMC3997786.
• The effect of high dose antibiotic impregnated cement on rate of surgical site infection after hip hemiarthroplasty for fracture neck of femur: a protocol for a double-blind quasirandomised controlled trial.
BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2013;14(1):356. PMID: 24344672. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC3878442.
• Systematic review of microdiscectomy for lumbar disc herniation.
Eur Spine J 2013 Nov;22(11):2458-65. doi:10.1007/s00586-013-2848-8 PMID: 23793558 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID: PMC3886516.
• Cemented versus cementless hemiarthroplasty for intracapsular neck of femur fracture-A comparison of 60,848 matched patients using national data.
Injury 2013 Jun;44(6):730-4. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2012.10.031. PMID: 23206920 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
• Return to theatre following total hip and knee replacement, before and after the introduction of rivaroxaban: a retrospective cohort study.
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Br. 2011 Jan;93(1):91-5. PMID: 21196550 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
• Day-case laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication.
Surgical Endoscopy. 2009 Aug;23(8):1745-9. PMID: 18855057 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
• Complications of loop ileostomy closure: a retrospective cohort analysis of 123 patients.
World J Surg. 2008 Sep;32(9):2101-6. PMID:18563482 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Courses offered to GPs
Mr Jensen, and his practice partner, Mr Ata Kasis, give regular lectures to physiotherapists, chiropractors and GPs. These can be discussed on an ad hoc basis through their secretaries or through the Nuffield marketing team.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.nhs.uk/Services/hospitals/ReviewsAndRatings/DefaultView.aspx?id=1014&spid=90265&SortType=1#cmnt1851847
- FRCS T&O Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- MB BS University of Newcastle Upon Tyne 2003
- Advanced Spine Fellowship Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust 2013
Reference number 6078569
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedics, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association Member
British Medical Association Member
Royal College of Surgeons Fellow
British Association of Spine Surgeons Member
International Society for the Advancement of Spinal Surgery Member
North American Spine Society Member
- Clayton RoadNEWCASTLE UPON TYNENE2 1JP
- 09:00 - 11:30
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details