- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Ahmed is a highly experienced hip and knee surgeon performing more than 200 surgical procedures each year.
He completed his orthopaedic training in Edinburgh before being awarded the British Orthopaedic Association fellowship in complex and redo hip and knee replacement surgery. He then completed a fellowship in Sydney, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia under the supervision of world experts in the surgical management of soft tissue injuries of the knee with particular emphasis on ligament reconstruction and robotic assisted surgery.
Areas of interest
Hip and knee pain;
Joint replacement surgery;
Arthroscopic (Keyhole) surgery;
Soft tissue injuries;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
Outcomes following hip and knee replacement surgery
Endurance events training
Home Renovation and restoration
1. Ethicon Foundation Fund Travel Award 2014
2. Edinburgh North American travelling fellowship award 2013
3. Runner up best presentation, Scottish Orthopaedic Research meeting2010
4. The RI Sterling Award 2010
5.American Foundation for Surgery Travelling Fellowship award 2010
6. The AK Johnston Audit Prize 2003
7. The Scottish International Educational Scholarship for research award 2002&03
1. Ahmed I, Salmon L, Roe J, Pinczewski L. The long-term clinical and radiological outcomes in patients who suffer recurrent injuries to the anterior cruciate ligament after reconstruction. British Bone and Joint Journal January 2017.
2. Clement ND, MacDonald D, Dall GF, Ahmed I, Duckworth AD, Shalaby H, McKinley J. Metallic hemiarthroplasty for the treatment of end-stage hallux rigidus mid-term implant survival, functional outcome and cost analysis. Bone Joint J 2016;98-B:945– 51
3. Ahmed I, Salmon L, Waller A, Watanabe, H, Roe J, Pinczewski L. Total Knee Replacement with an Oxidised Zirconium femoral component: Ten year survivorship analysis. British Bone Joint J 2016;98-B:58–64..
4. Bugler KE, Maheshwari R, Ahmed I, Brenkel I, Walmsley P. Metaphyseal sleeves for revision total knee arthroplasty: good short term outcomes. Journal of Arthroplasty May 2015
5. Clement ND, MacDonald D, Ahmed I, Patton JT, Howie CR. Total femoral replacement for salvage of peri-prosthetic fractures. Orthopaedics. 2014 Sep; 37(9):e789-95
6. Ahmed I, Ashton F, Tan W, Porter D. The paediatric fracture of the scaphoid in patients’ aged 13 and under: an epidemiological study. Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics. J Paediatric Orthopaedics. 2013 Nov 16.
7. Ahmed I, Chan JK Jenkins PJ, Brenkel IJ, Walmsley P. Estimating the Transfusion Risk following Total Knee Arthroplasty. Orthopaedics. 2012 Oct; 35(10):e1465-71
8. Murray I, Ahmed I, White N, Robinson CM. Traumatic anterior shoulder instability in the athlete. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2012 Jun 28.
9. Ahmed I, Ashton F, Robinson CM. Arthroscopic Bankart repair and capsular shift for recurrent anterior shoulder instability: functional outcomes & identification of risk factors for recurrence. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Jul 18; 94(14):1308-15.
10. Chee Y, Clement N, Ahmed I, Thompson C, Gibson JNA. Retrospective review of the MOJE ceramic 1st MTP joint replacement. Foot Ankle Surg 2011; 17: 8-12.
11. Ahmed I, Robinson CM, Patton JT, Cook RE. Metastatic Adenocarcinoma Following A Treated Tibial Fracture: a report of two cases. Journal of Bone and Joint Surg Br 2010 92-B: 1481-1488
12. Ahmed I, Gray A, Linden M, Nutton R. Range of movement following total knee replacement: the effect of soft tissue release and implant design on postoperative range of movement: A randomised prospective study. Orthopaedics 2009; 32(11)
Courses offered to GPs
Whats new in knee surgery
Management of common soft tissue knee injuries
Managing patients with hip and knee arthritis
Orthopaedic Surgery in the developing world - providing orthopaedic care to a population of 4 million patients
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.iwantgreatcare.org/doctors/mr-issaq-ahmed
- Intercollegiate Fellowship Examination FRCS Ed (Tr & Orth) Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2013
- Membership of Faculty of Surgical trainers Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 2015
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering with Honours University of Dundee 1998
- Sports Injuries Fellowship training Australian Orthopaedic Association 2015
Reference number 6100836
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of completion of surgical training (CCT), 2014
Affiliations / memberships
1. Fellow British Association of Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
2. Fellow British Orthopaedic Association
3. Fellow The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
4. International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
5. National Expert Witness Agency Expert witness
- 122 Corstorphine RoadEDINBURGHEH12 6UD
- 08:00 - 12:00
- 0131 334 0363
- 329 Perth RoadDUNDEEDD2 1LJ
- 14:00 - 15:00
- 01382 631400
- 40 Colinton RoadEDINBURGHEH10 5BT
- 17:30 - 18:30
- 0131 654 5600
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Kim Cameron (Secretary)