- Fee assured
- Verified account
I am Consultant Respiratory Physician with broad experience in Respiratory Medicine. I have completed my Specialist training and clinical research in Merseyside and have been awarded an MD on completion of my research thesis. I have published extensively in all aspects of Respiratory Medicine over the years.
I have been a Consultant at Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS trust, Royal Edward Infirmary since 2011.I am the lead clinician for Respiratory Medicine in my trust and the Divisional Medical Director of the Medical division. I am actively involved in training of undergraduate and postgraduate doctors. I am an Honorary senior lecturer at Edge Hill University and a Royal College Examiner.
I also hold the position of Greater Manchester Respiratory Medicine Research lead with National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) leading a number of clinical research trials for my organisation and coordinating Respiratory research across Greater Manchester.
Apart from doing General Respiratory clinics in my day to day work I do specialist clinics for patients with Interstitial Lung diseases (Pulmonary fibrosis) , and Bronchiectasis. I am active in clinical research and strive to provide best care for my patients.
I am passionate in providing high quality clinical care for my patients and believe in open and honest communication with them.
Areas of interest
Persistent Cough, Recurrent chest infections, Evaluation of breathlessness and wheezing; Evaluation of Lung shadows on x-rays and CT scans; Preoperative Respiratory assessments;Pulmonary Fibrosis; Sarcoidosis; Asthma;COPD and Bronchiectasis.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Respiratory Physician
Royal Edward Albert Infirmary
Wigan WN1 2NN
MD, University of Liverpool 2015
Gold Quality Champion, WWL 2017
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Malayalam - Native or bilingual
- Hindi - Fluent
- Kannada - Conversational
• Extensive diversification is a common feature of Pseudomonas aeruginosa populations during respiratory infections in cystic fibrosis
Ashish Abdul, Steve Paterson, Eilidh Mowat, Joanne L. Fothergill, Martin J. Walshaw, Craig Winstanley
Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 12 (2013) 790–793
• Increasing resistance of the Liverpool Epidemic Strain (LES) of Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Psa) to antibiotics in cystic fibrosis (CF)—A cause for concern?
Abdul Ashish , Matthew Shaw , C. Winstanley , Martin J. Ledson , Martin J. Walshaw ,⁎
Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 11 (2012) 173–179
• Halting the Spread of Epidemic Pseudomonas aeruginosa in an Adult CF Centre: a 7 Year Prospective Surveillance Study.
A Ashish, M Shaw, C. Winstanley, MJ Ledson, MJ Walshaw
J R Soc Med Sh Rep 2013; 4:1.
• Health related quality of life outcomes in adult CF patients infected with epidemic pseudomonas aeruginosa strain.
Ashish A, J Mcshane, M Shaw, MJ Ledson, MJ Walshaw
J R Soc Med Sh Rep 2012; 3:12. DOI 10.1258/shorts.2011.011119
- MD University of Liverpool 2015
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2003
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh 2016
Reference number 5207638
Affiliations / memberships
British Thoracic Society
European Respiratory Society
Royal College of Physicians
Medical Protection Society
- Fir Tree CloseStrettonWARRINGTONWA4 4LU
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 01925 215087