- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Spears graduated from the University of Glasgow in 2000. During his training he spent several years working in academic centres in England, initially the Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham, followed by the Royal Brompton Hospital Respiratory Unit in London.
On returning to Glasgow Dr Spears completed a PhD under the tutelage of Professor Neil C Thomson, and subsequent Clinical Lecturer post leading to several publications, and a research interest in corticosteroid insensitive inflammation within the lung.
Since his appointment as a Consultant Respiratory Physician initially at Forth Valley Royal Hospital in 2014, and subsequently NHS Tayside, he has developed expertise in the assessment and treatment of breathlessness, severe asthma, interstitial lung disease, chronic cough and bronchiectasis.
Given the prevalence of allergic disease in severe asthma, and his desire to provide holistic care, Dr Spears’ has completed an MSc in Allergy via Imperial College, London. As a result he is confident in the assessment and treatment of adults with allergy, and offers assessment of perceived penicillin allergy and the conditions that commonly occur alongside asthma.
Areas of interest
Allergy; Asthma; Breathless; bronchiectasis; COPD; cough; exercise; Interstitial lung disease
- Clinical Offices Perth Royal Infirmary Taymount Terrace Perth PH1 1NX
- Research profile : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mark_Spears4?ev=hdr_xprf&_sg=AagRHqT1vH-aisD33VXA681PrXfMPFllJSVSC9S5YI5fuKczJT_vKmF7VqJ6fTrPP6vvXU_6UMKvCwIkvVeWkGqN
Current NHS consultant posts held
Forth Valley Royal Hospital, Larbert
Corticosteroid insensitive inflammation
Interstitial lung disease
Non-invasive ventilation in COPD
- MRCP Respiratory Medicine Royal College of Physicians 2013
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow 2015
- Medical Degree Glasgow University 2000
- MSc Allergy Imperial College 2017
- PhD Glasgow University 2009
- Neuroscience degree Glasgow University 1997
Reference number 4708034
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT , 2014
Affiliations / memberships
American Thoracic Society
British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
British Sleep Society
British Thoracic Society
European Respiratory Society
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.