- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Spire South Bank Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
Mr Geraint Williams is a consultant ophthalmologist specialising in corneal and external disease and cataract and refractive surgery and is the anterior segment lead for Worcestershire.
Mr Williams was a specialist registrar in the West Midlands, was awarded a Wellcome Trust clinical research fellowship in 2008 and completed his PhD in 2012. Subsequently he was appointed as a clinical lecturer at the University of Birmingham, combining this role with subspecialty training in cornea and external eye disease at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham and Moorfields Eye Hospital. He completed his clinical and research fellowships at the Singapore National Eye Centre and Singapore Eye Research Institute.
He is an honorary consultant ophthalmologist at University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust and an honorary clinical senior lecturer at the University of Birmingham. He teaches and examines medical students and his research interests include methods to detect inflammation and progressive scarring on the ocular surface, how the immune system responds to infection and how improved measurement such as imaging systems can help detect these responses. His further interests include the role of lasers in improving outcomes in cataract and corneal surgery.
Areas of interest
Cataract Surgery; Corneal Transplantation; Ocular Surface Inflammation and Infection; Corneal Dystrophies; Dry Eye Disorders; Keratoconus; Pterygia;
- Donna Hayes
- Spire Southbank Hospital 139 Bath Road Worcester WR5 3YB
- 01905 362267
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr James Garstang Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist: Cornea and External Disease, Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist: Cornea and External Eye Disease
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
Institute of Inflammation and Ageing, University of Birmingham
• Ocular Surface Immune Regulation in Health and Disease
• Improved Measurement of Clinical Disease Activity and Damage
Mountaineering and travel. I have trekked/climbed in Snowdonia, the Scottish highlands and the Andes and enjoy spending my time outdoors whenever I can.
2017: The Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers’ Ruskell Medal for best research in UK
2015: Asia ARVO Travel Grant Award.
2014: The Peel and Rothwell Travelling Fellowship.
2013: RCOphth/Fight for Sight National Award for best research in UK.
2012: MCLOSA/IOSS Joint Scientific Meeting. Best Poster.
2012: ARVO Meeting International Travel Grant recipient.
2011:Midland Ophthalmological Society (MOS) Centenary Meeting Junior Ophthalmologists Prize Winner.
Selected, last 5 years:
1. Williams GP and Wu B (joint first authors), Liu YC, Teo E, Chan LN, Yam G, Tan D and Mehta JS. Hyperopic Refractive Correction by LASIK, SMILE or lenticule reimplantation in a Non-Human Primate Model. PLos One 2018
2. Liu YC, Wen XX, Teo E, Williams GP, Chan LN and Mehta JS. Higher-order-aberrations following hyperopic small incision lenticule extraction, hyperopic laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis and lenticule implantation. Translational Visual Science & Technology 2018.
3. Liu YC and Williams GP (joint first authors), George BL, Soh YQ, Seah XY, Peh GS, Yam GH and Mehta JS. Corneal lenticule storage prior to re-implantation. Molecular Vision 2017;23:753-764
4. Williams GP et al. Performing reliable lens capsulotomy in the presence of corneal edema with a femtosecond laser. IOVS 2017 (in press).
5. Yam G, Williams GP et al. Differential nerve regeneration by human corneal stromal keratocytes and stromal fibroblasts. Sci Reports 2017 28;7:45396..
6. Mathewson P and Williams GP et al. An International Ocular Surface Disease Scoring System (OSDISS): Defining Activity and Damage by A Delphi Consultation. Ocular Surface 2017 Jan;15(1):97-111.
7. Williams GP et al. Conjunctival neutrophils and progressive scarring in Ocular Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid. IOVS 2016 57 (13), 5457-5469.
8. Williams GP et al. The effects of a low-energy, high frequency liquid optic interface system during femtosecond laser on lens capsulotomy. Sci Reports 2016;6:24352.
9. Williams GP et al. Comparison of intraocular pressure changes with liquid or flat applanation interfaces in a femtosecond laser platform. Sci Reports 2015;5:14742.
10. Wu BM, Williams GP et al. A comparison of different operating systems for femtosecond lasers in cataract surgery. J of Ophthalmology 2015. Article ID 616478 doi:10.1155/2015/616478.
11. Williams GP et al. Cytokine Production and Antigen Recognition by Human Mucosal Homing Conjunctival Effector Memory CD8+ T cells. IOVS 2014;55:8523–8530.
12. Cottrell P, Ahmed S, James C, Hodson J, McDonnell P, Rauz S and Williams GP. Neuron J is a rapid and reliable open source tool for evaluating corneal nerve density in Herpes Simplex Keratitis. IOVS 2014 6;55(11):7312-20.
13. Khan IJ, Ghauri A-J, Hodson J, Cottrell P, Edmunds MR, Evans S, Williams GP, Rauz S. Defining the Limits of Normal Conjunctival Fornix Anatomy in a South Asian Population. Ophthalmology 2014 121(2):492-7.
Courses offered to GPs
I regularly teach at local and national meetings and am delighted to participate in seminars and talks on request.
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2013
- PhD University of Birmingham 2012
- MBBCh University of Wales College of Medicine 2002
- BSc University of Wales College of Medicine 2001
- Post CCT Corneal Fellowship Singapore National Eye Centre 2015
- NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Ophthalmology (University of Birmingham) Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham and Moorfields Eye Hospital 2014
- Cornea Fellowship (ASTO) Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre 2013
- Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Fellowship University of Birmingham 2011
Reference number 6045355
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology
International Ocular Surface Society
The Bowman Club
The Midland Ophthalmological Society
European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
British Medical Association
Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.