- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Lower GI surgery
James Kinross is a London trained laparoscopic and minimally invasive colorectal surgeon. He specialises in colorectal cancer and benign disease of the colon and rectum. He has a general practice and offers services in hernia repair and benign conditions of the skin. Mr. Kinross is also an expert in the gut microbiome and performs research into probiotic and prebiotic therapies for colonic health. He works at Imperial College London and he practices privately at the Lindo Wing, W2 1NY and The King Edward VII Hospital, W1G 6AA.
Areas of interest
Colon cancer; inflammatory bowel disease; pelvic floor disease; constipation; rectal prolapse; diverticulosis; haemorrhoids; anal fistula; anal fissure; early rectal cancer; appendicitis; acute abdominal pain; lipoma; benign skin conditions; inguinal hernia; incisional hernia; femoral hernia;
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Elizabeth Ashley Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Senior Lecturer and Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, Imperial College London
The Gut Microbiome and Colorectal Cancer
Intelligent surgical devices- iKnife
• Ethicon laparoscopic colorectal training award (2013): Training fellowship involved advanced laparoscopic training in Colchester and ESI, Hamburg.
• Association for surgical education (2013): Orlando, USA. Paper of distinction.
• International Surgical Week (2011): Yokohama, Japan Highest impact paper IASMEN
• Martin G, Martin P, Hankin C, Darzi A, Kinross J: Cybersecurity and healthcare: how safe are we? BMJ 2017, 358:j3179.
• Martin G, Kinross J, Hankin C: Effective cybersecurity is fundamental to patient safety. Bmj 2017, 357:j2375.
• Inglese P, McKenzie JS, Mroz A, Kinross J, Veselkov K, Holmes E, Takats Z, Nicholson JK, Glen RC: Deep learning and 3D-DESI imaging reveal the hidden metabolic heterogeneity of cancer. Chem Sci 2017, 8(5):3500-3511.
• Patel V, Lee H, Taylor D, Aggarwal R, Kinross J, Darzi A: Virtual worlds are an innovative tool for medical device training in a simulated environment. Studies in health technology and informatics 2012, 173:338-343.
• Nicholson JK, Holmes E, Kinross JM, Darzi AW, Takats Z, Lindon JC: Metabolic phenotyping in clinical and surgical environments. Nature 2012, 491(7424):384-392.
• Balog J, Sasi-Szabo L, Kinross J, Lewis MR, Muirhead LJ, Veselkov K, Mirnezami R, Dezso B, Damjanovich L, Darzi A et al: Intraoperative tissue identification using rapid evaporative ionization mass spectrometry. Science translational medicine 2013, 5(194):194ra193.
• Veselkov KA, Mirnezami R, Strittmatter N, Goldin RD, Kinross J, Speller AV, Abramov T, Jones EA, Darzi A, Holmes E et al: Chemo-informatic strategy for imaging mass spectrometry-based hyperspectral profiling of lipid signatures in colorectal cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2014, 111(3):1216-1221
• Holmes E, Kinross J, Gibson GR, Burcelin R, Jia W, Pettersson S, Nicholson JK: Therapeutic modulation of microbiota-host metabolic interactions. Science translational medicine 2012, 4(137):137rv136.
• Nicholson JK, Holmes E, Kinross J, Burcelin R, Gibson G, Jia W, Pettersson S: Host-gut microbiota metabolic interactions. Science 2012, 336(6086):1262-1267.
• O’Keefe SJD, Li JV, Lahti L, Ou J, Carbonero F, Mohammed K, Posma JM, Kinross J, Wahl E, Ruder E et al: Fat, fibre and cancer risk in African Americans and rural Africans. Accepted Nature Communications, April 2015. 28 (6):6342.
• Kinross J, Mirnezami R, Alexander J, Brown R, Scott A, Galea D, Veselkov K, Goldin R, Darzi A, Nicholson J et al: A prospective analysis of mucosal microbiome-metabonome interactions in colorectal cancer using a combined MAS 1HNMR and metataxonomic strategy. Sci Rep 2017, 7(1):8979.
Courses offered to GPs
Advances in the modern management of colorectal cancer.
Update on the treatment of anal fistulae
Pro and prebiotics for the treatment of IBS and chronic constipation
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.acpgbi.org.uk/patients/surgeon-directory/james-kinross/
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- PhD Imperial College London 2010
- BSc (Hons) Imperial College London 1998
- MBBS Imperial College London 2001
- Ethicon Laparoscopic Fellowship Colchester Hospital NHS trust 2013
- St. Mark's Resident Surgical Officer St. Mark's Hospital 2014
Reference number 6029260
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC Specialist Register, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
- King Edward VII Hospital
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 020 7100 5503
- Lindo Wing
- 12:30 - 17:30
- 020 7100 5503
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Secretary: 020 7100 5503