- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Salil Vengalil has been working as Consultant Clinical Oncologist at the University Hospital of North Midlands (UHNM) since 2013. He has expertise in oncological treatment of patients with prostate cancer, Bladder cancer, Kidney cancer, Lung cancer, Mesothelioma, Melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers.
Referral Criteria: Patients requiring opinion and oncological management for the above conditions can be referred. Dr Vengalil would also be happy to accept referrals for second opinions. Private patient Consultation will be arranged at the Nuffield Health North Staffordshire Hospital.
Dr Vengalil has previously worked in the world-renowned Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto (Canada) where he completed radiation oncology fellowship gaining further experience in advanced radiation techniques. His areas of interest in radiotherapy include Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), Image guided radiation therapy (IGRT), Stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) and adaptive radiotherapy. Prostate cancer patients will also be given the option of having spaceOAR insertion prior to prostate radiotherapy treatment.
Dr Salil Vengalil is an expert in radiotherapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, hormone therapy and radionuclide treatments in oncology. He has led the team in setting up and implementing Radium 223 treatment service for metastatic prostate cancer patients at UHNM. He has a very keen interest in research and had been principal investigator for several commercial and non-commercial trials.
Dr Vengalil had also served as a Clinical lead in Oncology at the University Hospital North Midlands NHS Trust and is currently the oncology lead for urological cancers. Dr Vengalil is also member of the West midlands Genomic Tumour Advisory Board.
Areas of interest
Prostate cancer, Bladder cancer, Kidney cancer, Lung cancer, Mesothelioma, Melanoma, Non-melanoma skin cancers, Radiotherapy (IMRT, IGRT, SBRT), Chemotherapy, Targeted therapy, Hormone therapy, Immunotherapy, Radionuclide treatments.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Clinical Oncologist; University Hospital North Midlands NHS trust
Dr Vengalil has a very keen interest in research and had been principal investigator for several commercial and non-commercial trials.
Clinical excellence award at University Hospital North Midlands NHS Trust
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Malayalam - Native or bilingual
Key publications and presentations:
1) Multi-modal treatment approach for muscle invasive bladder cancer - single institution experience. Poster presentation at the BLADDR 2019 meeting in Paris (October 2019)
2) Outcomes of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients with Brain Metastasis Treated by Whole Brain Radiotherapy, a Single Institution Experience: Journal of Thoracic Oncology, Volume 14, Issue 10, Supplement, Pages S949–S950
3) Virtual imaging for patient information on radiotherapy planning and delivery for prostate cancer: Radiotherapy and Oncology. April 2019; vol 133 Suppl 1: S437-38.
4) Enzalutamide Effectiveness and Tolerability in Patients with Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer. Our Experience: Cancer Biology 2017;7(2)
5) First Line Treatment Outcome for EGFR Mutated Metastatic NSCLC -A Single Institution 5 Years’ Experience: J Thorac Oncol. 2016 Oct; 11(10S): S205
6) Clinical outcomes in patients with T4 laryngeal cancer treated with primary radiotherapy versus primary laryngectomy: Head Neck. 2016 Apr; 38 Suppl 1: E2035-40.
7) Use of radionuclides in metastatic prostate cancer: pain relief and beyond: Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care. 6(3):310–315, September 2012.
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists UK 2010
- MBBS University of Kerala 2001
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians UK 2006
Reference number 6049249
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Radiologists
British Medical Association
European Society for Medical Oncology
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.