- Fee assured
- Verified this account
What I have learnt over my training and career thus far, is that, consultants who specialise in one thing tend to have the best knowledge, understanding & results.
That’s why I chose to only look after and help people with knee related problems and offer surgical solutions that I have been fellowship trained on.
There are three main knee related areas that I can help you with:
• Sports injuries: If you have been unlucky enough to have suffered a sports injury to your knee I, along with my physiotherapy and sports medicine team, can help you return to your sport by correctly addressing the underlying problems.
• Knee pain: Getting to the bottom of what’s causing the pain, arranging appropriate investigations. Ensuring that the cause is understood and all management options are discussed (both surgical & non-surgical).
• Knee arthritis: Early diagnosis and appropriate treatment can help you postpone and/or avoid major surgery. This may be in the form of targeted physiotherapy, appropriate bracing and if indicated specialist joint injections (that are not always or readily available on the NHS) or a combination of all three.
If you do not fall into this category, I assist you to choose the most appropriate surgical option for you.
Mr Pengas has undertaken both his Undergraduate (Dundee University-Scotland) & Postgraduate training in the UK. He completed his Trauma & Orthopaedic training (CCT) through the prestigious Percivall Pott Orthopaedic Rotation based at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London.
During his training he undertook and completed both a Medical Doctorate (M.D.) in Knee Pathology, titled Meniscectomy & Osteoarthritis, as well as a Postgraduate Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree in Medical Law & Ethics.
Thereafter he honed his surgical skills and experience by undertaking two highly sought-after post CCT knee fellowships. Initially with Mr. Tim Spalding & Pete Thompson at UHCW followed by The Basingstoke Knee Osteotomy fellowship. He was subsequently appointed as a Trauma & Orthopaedics Consultant Knee Specialist in 2016 at RCHT.
Being interested in native joint preservation solutions, covering both non-operative as well as operative options, resulted in the creation of the SWSO group with like-minded healthcare professionals locally in Cornwall (www.swso.co.uk). In order to keep informed and updated he joined and is an active member of the Biological knee society (www.biologicalkneesociety.uk) where he had the privilege of been a co-convener for the 2020 annual meeting at Downing College, Cambridge with National and International guest speakers.
Mr Pengas offers medicolegal report writing services as well as joint preservation solutions to osteoarthritic & sport related knee conditions covering a variety of non-surgical as well as surgical options (www.pengaskneeclinic.co.uk).
Below is a non-exhaustive list of operative interventions that he was fellowshipped trained to offer:
Limb realignment osteotomy
Ligament Reconstruction/ Repair
Partial & Total knee replacement
He maintains an active interest in research with ongoing national and international collaborations as well as teaching at undergraduate & post graduate level. Recently invited as an examiner at the Miller FRCS (T&O) course run in Oxford for the last three courses.
• ESSKA: European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee surgery & Arthroscopy
• BOSTAA: British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma & Arthroscopy Association
• BKS: Biological Knee Society
• BASK: British Arthroscopic Society of the Knee
MBChB, MRCS, FRCS (T&O), MPhil (MedLaw & Ethics), M.D.(Medical Doctorate)
NHS Consultant Practice:
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Private Consultations available at:
• Duchy Hospital, Penventinnie Lane, Treliske, Truro, TR1 3UP
• Truro Health Park, Infirmary H
Areas of interest
Knee pain; arthritis; knee injections; knee replacement; partial knee replacement; osteotomy
Sport knee injuries; knee instability; Patella dislocation; patella instability;knee ligament injuries; ligament rupture; ligament injury; ACL repair; ACL reconstruction; PCL reconstruction; MCL repair; MCL reconstruction; Lateral Collateral injury; Lateral collateral reconstruction; Lateral collateral repair;
Meniscus injury; Meniscus repair; root repair; RAMP lesions; meniscal augementation; partial meniscectomy;
Cartilage lesions; chondroplasty; restoration; biological solutions; OATS; resurfacing (PSI);
Current NHS consultant posts held
Royal Cornwall NHS Trust
Sport injuries /knee
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Native or bilingual
Courses offered to GPs
Monthly Industry Sponsored Discussions around the knee held at the Alverton / Truro
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.uknlr.co.uk/
- Medical Doctorate University of Dundee 2013
- Medical Law & Ethics University of Glasgow 2007
- FRCS T&O RCPSGlas 2013
- MRCS RCPSGlas 2004
- MBChB University of Dundee 1998
- OSTEOTOMY /Joint preservation & Sport knee fellowship Basingstoke osteotomy centre 2015
- Joint preservation & sport knee fellowship Tim Spalding & Pete Thompson 2015
Reference number 4541589
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Co-convener 2020 Annual International Meeting Biological Knee Society 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ioannis Pengas, 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Biological Knee Society
Percivall Pott Club
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details