- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
I am a full time NHS consultant rheumatologist at St Luke's hospital and the lead of the rheumatology department in Bradford Teaching Hospitals. I have been trained in the
the regional and national center of excellence in Leeds and worked with many international leader in rheumatology. I also worked in different hospitals across the Yorkshire and Humber region, had spent few years as lecturer in rheumatology at the regional centre of excellence at Chapel Allerton hospital and had completed MSc and postgraduate medical doctor-ship (MD) degrees from university of Leeds.
I am an honorary senior lecturer in rheumatology at the University of Leeds leading on research that investigate rheumatological diseases stratification using imaging and more recent work including validation of joints ultrasound in inflammatory arthritis and lupus. Most of my research was presented in multiple national and international conferences such as British society of rheumatologist (BSR) and The European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) and have been published in the highest impact rheumatology journals.
I am a national and international tutor of musculoskeletal ultrasound currently running once weekly ultrasound list in St Lukes hospital and do half a session a week for Chapel allerton hospital to perform ultrasound guided joints biopsy.
I always feels dedicated to help people and try my best to do that as if I am helping my own family. I am currently providing private consultation and advice at the Yorkshire clinic.
Areas of interest
Joints pain; Rheumatoid arthritis; psoriatic arthritis; ankylosing spondylitis; joints injections; Osteoporosis; fibromyalgia; osteoarthritis; Lupus; connective tissue disease; musculoskeletal pain; polymyalgia rheumatica; gout; arthritis
Current NHS consultant posts held
St Luke's hospital (Full time)
Chapel Allerton Hospital (half session per week)
University of Leeds )(honorary senior lecturer)
1. The role of ultrasound in assessing musculoskeletal symptoms of systemic lupus erythematosus
2. UltraSound Evaluation For mUsculoskeletal Lupus (USEFUL); Assessing the responsiveness of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound to therapy in SLE
3. The specificity of ultrasound detected erosions in rheumatoid arthritis
4. The effect of Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs on ultrasound image acquisition in Rheumatoid Arthritis
6. The effect of different joint positions on ultrasound acquisition in inflammatory arthritis
7. Prospective randomized study assessing the efficacy of Tocilizumab with synovial analysis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (TOCRA)
8. Temporal artery biopsy vs ultrasound in diagnosis of GCA (TABUL)
9. Open label study that investigates the Abatacept efficacy in biologic naïve RA patients
Black belt Karate
Howard Bird prize for best regional meeting
1. Zayat AS et al, The role of ultrasound in assessing musculoskeletal symptoms of systemic lupus erythematosus: a systematic literature review, Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016;55(3):485-94
2. Zayat AS et al, Ultrasound detected bone erosions: Are they specific of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2015;74(5):897-903
3. Zayat AS et al, Does joint position affect US findings in inflammatory arthritis? Rheumatology (Oxford). 2012 ;51(5):921-5.
4. Zayat AS et al, Do non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs have a significant effect on detection and grading of ultrasound-detected synovitis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis? Results from a randomised study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 ;70(10):1746-51.
5. Zayat A et al, The clinical relevance of Targeted Ultrasound of the Fifth Metatarsophalangeal Joint in an Early Inflammatory Arthritis: Comment on the article by Sheane et al. Arthritis Care Res. 2010, 62(7):1051
6. Zayat, A.S., Wakefiled, R.J., Conaghan, P., Emery, P. 2011, Ultrasonography in Rheumatic Diseases: Can We Do Without It. Int J Adv Rheumatol 2010;8(3):89–94
7. Zayat A, Wakefield R , Arthrocentesis in the Elderly, 2011, Human Press(Book Chapter)
8. Lee V., Zayat A., Wakefield R., The effect of joint position on Doppler flow in finger synovitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2009 ;68(4):603-4
9. Zayat AS, Bush M, Wakefield RJ, Arthrocenthesis and joint injection in the Kelley & Firestein¹s Textbook of Rheumatology, Elsevier, 2015
10. Terslev L, D'Agostino MA, Brossard M, Aegerter P, Balint P, Backhaus M, Bruyn GA, Chary-Valckenare I, Filippucci E, Freeston J, Gandjbakhch F, Iagnocco A, Jousse-Joulin S, Mandl P, Möller I, Naredo E, Szkudlarek M, Wakefield RJ, Zayat A, Schmidt WA. Which Knee and Probe Position Determines the Final Diagnosis of Knee Inflammation by Ultrasound? Results from a European Multicenter Study. Ultraschall Med. 2012.
11. Mandl P, Brossard M, Aegerter P, Backhaus M, Bruyn GA, Chary-Valckenaere I, Iagnocco A, Filippucci E, Freeston J, Gandjbakhch F, Jousse-Joulin S, Möller I, Naredo E, Schmidt WA, Szkudlarek M, Terslev L, Wakefield RJ, Zayat A, D'Agostino MA, Balint PV. Ultrasound evaluation of fluid in knee recesses at varying degrees of flexion, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012 May;64(5):773-9.
12. Nevins E, Zayat AS, Browning AJ, Biyani CS, Jarrett S. Renal cell carcinoma-associated adult dermatomyositis treated laparoscopic nephrectomy. Urol Ann. 2013 Oct;5(4):299-301
Courses offered to GPs
• NIHR clinical Lectureship Award 2013
• Howard Bird First Prize, Yorkshire Educational Training Programme 2013
• Second Prize, Yorkshire Educational Training Programme 2012
• EULAR Travel Bursary 2010
• Distinction in Medical Imaging MSc program, University of Leeds 2007
Reference number 6093258