- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I have been an NHS consultant at the same hospital for 25 years, with a similar length of time in private practice across hospitals in London and the South East.
I am a Professor in paediatric surgery and was awarded this in 2009 by Kings College, London for research in hepatobiliary diseases.
Until July 2018, I was the President of the British Association of Paediatric Surgeons (2016-18).
Areas of interest
Paediatric surgery; neonatal surgery; general surgery of childhood
- Valarie Baterip
- Kings College Hospital Department of Paediatric Surgery, Denmark Hill LONDON SE5 9RS
- 020 3299 3350
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Catherine G Hill Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant paediatric surgeon- Kings College Hospital (since 1993) [includes the Princess Royal University Hospital]
Hepatobiliary diseases in infants and children
Neonatal surgical conditions (diaphragmatic hernia, gastroschisis, exomphalos).
Music, including opera; the Visual Arts
"Patterns and Pathogenesis at the Porta Hepatis " June 2013
EUROPE LECTURE – EUPSA, Leipzig
"Aetiology of Biliary Atresia: from Australia to the Zebrafish." Journal of Pediatric Surgery LECTURE, BAPS July 2015
Stephen GANS LECTURE - "Biliary Atresia and the Philosophy of Marginal Gains"
Surgical Section American Academy of Pediatrics, Chicago, USA Sept 2017
(Additional) Languages spoken
- French - Basic
- German - Basic
Three text books
• Mark Davenport & Agostino Pierro: Oxford Specialist Handbooks - Paediatric Surgery – Oxford University Press. Published 2009. ISBN 978-0-19-920880-7
Sinha & Mark Davenport: Handbook of Pediatric Surgery – Springer Inc. Published Sept. 2010. ISBN 9781848821323
• Mark Davenport, Nigel D Heaton, Riccardo Superina. Surgery of the Liver, Bile Ducts and Pancreas in Children. – CRC Press, Published May 2017. ISBN 978-1-4441-8120-3
Over 50 chapters
Over 250 peer-reviewed publications.
e.g. Tam PKH, Davenport M, et al. Long-term implications and global impact of paediatric surgery. Lancet 2017; Sep 9;390(10099):1012-1014. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32341-3
Tam PKH, ......... Davenport M. Advances in paediatric gastroenterology. Lancet 2017 Sep 9;390(10099):1072-1082. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32284-5.
Courses offered to GPs
Regular contributor to specialists conferences (e.g. BAPS, EUPSA) in Europe, Asia, North and South America.
Regular participant in "Update on Paediatric Emergencies" Infomed Research and Training. London
general surgery of childhood [2016 -18]
zero - 30 day re-admission rate
zero - surgical site infection rate
- MB ChB University of Leeds 1981
- Ch M (Master of Surgery) University of Leeds 1994
- FRCS (England) Royal College of Surgeons of ENgland 1995
- FRCS (Paeds) Royal College of Surgeons of England 1993
Reference number 2713632
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President British Association of Paediatric Surgeons British Association of Paediatric Surgeons 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Qualified Doctor (post registration), 1982
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Association
British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
European Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- BMI Chelsfield Park Hospital, BR6 7RG
- 09:00 - 10:00
- 01689 877855
- BMI The Sloane Hospital, BR3 5HS
- 09:00 - 11:00
- 020 8466 4000
- Guthrie Clinic, SE5 9RS
- 13:00 - 14:00
- 020 3299 3350
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Kings College Hospital 0203 299 3350 (office hours)
Chelsfield Park Hospital (016898 77855) switchboard