- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Upper GI surgery
Mr Karamanakos graduated with honours from the Semmelweis University of Medicine in Budapest, Hungary. He undertook his surgical training in the UK and Greece. In 2009 he completed his surgical training and gained his CCT in General Surgery from the University Hospital of Patras, Greece. Following that he was appointed as Consultant Surgeon in the department of General Surgery in Patras where he was mostly involved with the management of morbidly obese patients with bariatric surgery. He later completed fellowships in gastrointestinal surgery at Whipps Cross Hospital and Kings College Hospital in London. He has attended advanced laparoscopic surgery courses at the world-renowned centre IRCAD/EITS in Strasbourg, France.
Mr Karamanakos has been awarded a PhD with honours for his work in bariatric surgery and gastrointestinal hormones. His research has been published extensively in renowned medical journals like 'The Annals of Surgery' and he have published dozens of articles in peer-reviewed international medical journals. He is an active Editorial Board Member of many surgical journals, has been an invited speaker in many international surgical and medical meetings and congresses and has received multiple awards and distinctions for his academic work.
Mr Karamanakos is currently working at the Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital as a General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon. Being the only Upper GI surgeon in the department he deals with a big volume of benign Upper GI pathologies including Gallstone disease and Anti-reflux surgery. He is also leading the emergency service and he has developed many clinical pathways as well as a Surgical Ambulatory Unit which has contribute significantly in the improvement of the service.
Areas of interest
Mr Karamanakos specialises in Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery including:
-Gastrectomies (removal of stomach)
- Paraoesophageal Hernia Repair
- Anti-Reflux Surgery (treatment of heartburn)
- Repair of abdominal wall hernias (inguinal, umbilical, incisional)
- Cholecystectomies (Removal of Gallbladder)
- Common bile duct explorations (Removal of stones from bile ducts)
The majority of his operations are performed laparoscopically (Keyhole).
Mr Karamanakos has also a special interest in Bariatric/ Metabolic Surgery.
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr N L L Chanaka Karunaratne Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant General and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital
I have particular interest in Bariatric/ Metabolic surgery including gastrointestinal hormones.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Native or bilingual
Courses offered to GPs
Managemet of Gallstone disease (including cholelithiasis, choledocholithiasis and gallstone pancreatitis)
Surgical management of gastroesophageal reflux.
- PhD Thessis University Hospital of Patras, Greece 2010
- Certificate of Completion of Trainning in General Surgery University Hospital of Patras, Greece 2009
- Fellowship in Colorectal Surgery Kings College Hospital 2013
- Fellowship in Emergency and Trauma Surgery Kings College Hospital 2012
Reference number 7231082
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant General and Upper GI Surgeon Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital 2016
- Locum Consultant General Surgeon Princess Royal University Hospital 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES)
Member of the International Federation for Surgery of Obesity & Metabolic disorders (IFSO)
- Shenfield RoadShenfieldBRENTWOODCM15 8EH
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01268 598689
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details